Spring and Summer Salads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spring has arrived (though perhaps only technically given the recent cold snap), opening the season for lots of cookouts, potlucks, and dinner parties. One thing I figure everyone likes to make in some fashion or another for these occasions is salads, so if you’ve got any interesting recipes, feel free to share them here. If you don’t have a recipe per say, but rather a list of ingredients that pair well with each other, feel free to share that as well, and I can just ad lib something together. Healthier options would be better I suppose, but I’m not going to set a very good example with this first one, so pay no attention. Vinaigrette or syrup-bound salads do have advantages in the heat, if nothing else.

This particular concoction is admittedly not my own, but rather one known in a local café as “when grapes get the blues” which I reverse engineered after sampling one afternoon. Theirs is great when you get it fresh (and probably better for you as it’s organic), but always seems to be a little dry (which I will touch on later) if you don’t stop in for lunch during the noon rush. I actually like my version a little better anyway.

The ingredients, in very approximate quantities:
12 oz (dry) farfalle
1 bunch green onion
7 oz blue cheese
1 1/3 lbs red grapes
1 cup sour cream
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tbs white sugar
1 tsp ground black pepper
[small amount of milk, see notes]

The method:
While the water is heating to a boil and the pasta is cooking, rinse the grapes and pick out any seniors; you only want the crunchy ones in a salad like this I would think. Wash, dry, and trim the green onions, then slice everything (both green and white parts) thinly. Combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, sugar, pepper, and blue cheese (which you have broken up into coarse chunks). When the pasta has cooled slightly, combine with the wet ingredients and the grapes. Mix thoroughly to coat. All done.

Notes:
Yes, another mayonnaise-laden pasta salad; oh my #@$%!, I’m white trash and I’m going to die of a heart attack. Well I think it tastes good, so there. If there’s anything you don’t want to skimp on here, it’s the blue cheese. You really need something that has a bit of a kick, or it doesn’t turn out quite right. I don’t recommend buying something terribly nuanced as the subtleties will surely be lost, but get something good (the cheese should probably account for the better part of the cost of this dish). Anyway, you’re only buying 7-10oz at most for a batch this size. If it were a toss up between moisture and pungency, I would take the latter as the dressing will offset the former somewhat. Maytag or Roquefort would do well in my opinion.

The only other real issue with this particular version is the consistency (as with many salads I think). When you first assemble it, it should look something roughly like this:

You can eat it right then if you insist, but I really do think it’s better if you let it sit for a while. After an hour or so, I can almost guarantee you that, like most salads of this sort, the pasta will have absorbed a good bit of the dressing. The approximate ratios listed above are for a salad that will be a “wet” creamy initially and a “sticky” creamy within about an hour (more so if you let it rest longer). If you like it like this (I kind of do personally), then leave it; if you want it creamier, add a splash or two of milk (or whatever) before serving and give it a stir. Yes, you could probably figure the milk into the ingredients list somehow, but it works better doing it like this, at least for me. I suppose I rinse the pasta in cold water sometimes if I’m impatient and so extra water gets in, which could thin things out a little as well. If you tinker with the ratio of ingredients, that will obviously affect the overall consistency, and given that there’s a fair amount of fat contained within, refrigeration will affect the consistency as well. Then of course there’s the fact that you may not want to eat it all in one sitting, and so while it may be perfect on Tuesday at 700pm, it will be too dry on Wednesday at lunch time. It just works better for me if you tweak it before you serve it.

That said, if you do have any grandma-ish tricks for keeping things like this creamier in a room temperature or slightly chilled environment (that doesn’t involve massive quantities of mayonnaise), I would certainly like to hear them.

cheers.gif

I use maybe 1 tablespoon of dressing on 1 pound of salad, and that includes potato salad. I find that yogurt works just as well as sour cream for dressings. I eat mayo only with fries.

You can make an emulsion like your homemade salad dressing last longer without breaking down by adding stabilizers (mustard is a natural one, egg yolk is another one) and by shaking your dressing well before use.

No love for salads?! Somebody here has a dog-eared cookbook from the first church of Pleasantville that’s full of delicious fabrications; I can smell it.

Here’s a heart-healthy mix to make up for the last one:

Ingredients, in approximate amounts:
12 oz can of tuna, drained as thoroughly as humanly possible
1 tbs Dijon mustard
4 tbs olive oil
3 tbs sliced almonds
3 tbs dried cranberries
Zest (grated) and juice of 1 lemon
Ground pepper to taste

Method:
Mix it all together and stash in the refrigerator for a few minutes. Good on some kind of multigrain bread with spring greens. Quick and easy + bright and light + balanced blend of textures and flavors = can’t go wrong.
color.gif

Quote:

you are making trail mix dude.

Is that good or bad? I like a little crunch/chew in my sandwiches.
smile.gif

Does something like this fit the bill? I might tone down the herbs and garlic, but otherwise it sounds tasty to me. The citrus/onion/tomato would break up the saltiness quite well I think. Bet it looks nice on a plate too...

Another summer staple in my neck of the woods: fruit salad. This particular combination was stolen from Giada De Laurentiis. It’s quick, “everyone” likes it, and the shopping list is short. It’s also very pretty... so pretty I think I should... take a picture of it!

Ingredients:
1) About 3:1 (by volume) of a white wine (Riesling if you’re truly indifferent) and white sugar (adjusted accordingly with whatever wine you choose), enough to reduce to a very light syrup that will coat the salad with a considerable amount leftover (picture is slightly misleading in both respects). Figure on something like a cup of white wine and 1/3 cup sugar for a batch this size.
2) 2 cantaloupes, cubed
3) Green grapes, washed and sorted (maybe 1/2 lb)
4) About 3 tablespoons of mint, chopped
5) Strawberries, washed, sorted, and sliced (maybe 2 pints)

Preparation:
Bring the wine and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Reduce (shouldn’t cling to the fruit much at all, color change should be little to none... think more marinade than glaze, though still a syrup), remove from the heat. Combine the cantaloupe, strawberries, grapes, and mint in a large bowl. Pour the warm wine mixture over; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until cold, stirring occasionally, at least 2 hours.

You can skip the wine if you want and use something else; I just think it works really well here. Don’t go out of your way though; you basically only need something acidic/sweet to coat everything with. I don’t think pineapple or orange juice would be a good substitute. A good white grape juice would probably work, honestly (again, omit the sugar to whatever degree...). Skipping the mint would be a bad idea though, IMO, unless you truly hated mint or something.

Hope you had a good summer. The recipe(s) will still be around next year as long as the servers stay up.

Oh my God, you know what would be so good right now in this stifling heat and humidity? A feta olive salad very similar to the feta olive salad Food Network personality Bobby Flay made on his show that one time and I was talking about like a year ago!

This actually turned out to be a lot mellower than I had originally thought it would be given the ingredients involved, but the brightness is still obviously there in spades. It's not so pungent that you can't eat quite a lot of it in one sitting actually, and no one element really sticks out that far from the others. This also seems like it would be a good base for some other kind of concoction, but it's so darn tasty I don't think there'll be a chance to find out. Why don't you ask Mr. Owl?

Ingredients, in approximate amounts:
1/2 lb green olives ("Turkish", couldn't tell you the specific variety) coarsely chopped
1 lb cherry tomatoes, halved
1 clove garlic, minced
1/3 large red onion, coarsely chopped
Zest and flesh (segmented, diced) of 2 oranges
Zest and flesh (segmented, diced) of 2 lemons
1/4 lb feta, broken into large chunks, swallowed, regurgitated
1 tbs oregano paste (in those tubes)
1 tbs fresh thyme (pulled off the stems)
1 tbs parsley, chopped
3 tbs olive oil
Lots of black pepper

Aside from this, you just mix it all together. I really didn't think it needed any salt personally, which is not even to say it was salty to begin with. It's so beautiful! (crying)

I usually keep it simple.

-Organic "Mixed Greens" pre-packaged from the store
-Shredded carrots
-Sliced cucumbers
-Chopped red onion
-Sprouts
-Bell Pepper
-Light Ranch Dressing

Me too. "Wedge" salads were/are sort of back en vogue, which makes me happy. I'm not really a fan of iceberg except for the extra white, bland, and crunchy parts, go figure.
55.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back