Small rant on ignorant drivers and auto manufacturers.

I"m to busy dodging pot holes right now to do anything other than look at the road ahead, hey I just thought of a new sensor, a sensor to let you know a pot hole is coming and auto steer around it (y)

Wow, I didn't know cars had all that stuff as standard. The newest that I have had, is my 2017 Nissan Frontier. It doesn't have any of that stuff ,that I know of anyway.. Maybe that is why some people don't like these, because they are old technology. That is just one of the reasons that I do like it.

I see cars with lights off at night or evening that I know have auto headlights. Someone turned them off.

While for a vast area of the US you absolutely need a car, we need to stop treating it as a right and more of a privilege while making it far harder than “oh you failed your test, just wait a little while and try again!” to get your license. Modern cars are so numb you forget you’re piloting 3,000-6,000lbs of metal, plastic, and flammable liquids, we need to drill that fact into peoples heads.

That has existed for a long time - automatic headlights.
Agreed.

For the most part, if we have sensors that turn on the lights, in conjunction with every other sensor to make reminders.....where is the feature to alert the driver that the lights are OFF while driving at night? The same sensor that knows to turn the lights on, could easily be implemented to alert the driver that it's pitch dark outside and you are rolling down the highway with the light switch in the OFF position.

Agreed.

For the most part, if we have sensors that turn on the lights, in conjunction with every other sensor to make reminders.....where is the feature to alert the driver that the lights are OFF while driving at night? The same sensor that knows to turn the lights on, could easily be implemented to alert the driver that it's pitch dark outside and you are rolling down the highway with the light switch in the OFF position.

Good point. We already have alerts for seat belts not fastened or door ajar.

The ones I hate are the ones that use the headlights for DRLs and the people do not realize there is actually a headlight switch, i've come up behind dark colored Honda and Toyota products on the interstate that have no lights on except the DRLs and they are surprising hard to spot at a distance.

The new Escape has an obnoxious number of notifications when you turn it on there must be 6 or 8 you are supposed to click OK on...

I agree they tend to promote inattention and false reliance on them, but they do prevent accidents and you can't really depend on people to drive well without them so...

Perhaps I will go hug my old truck it has none of that foolishness...

The ones I hate are the ones that use the headlights for DRLs and the people do not realize there is actually a headlight switch, i've come up behind dark colored Honda and Toyota products on the interstate that have no lights on except the DRLs and they are surprising hard to spot at a distance.

The new Escape has an obnoxious number of notifications when you turn it on there must be 6 or 8 you are supposed to click OK on...

I agree they tend to promote inattention and false reliance on them, but they do prevent accidents and you can't really depend on people to drive well without them so...

Perhaps I will go hug my old truck it has none of that foolishness...
I wonder if this is because the dash lights are always on? I remember cars that would have a totally unlit dash until you turned on the headlights.

How is this is a GM problem …? Our Tahoe turns the headlights on day or night …
The dash is LED images and adjusts for current natural light …
Same with our sons XT5 … both vehicles are loaded with safety features …
It's not a GM problem. I'm saying it's a people problem. A person actively has to turn off the auto lights every time they start the car.

I wonder if this is because the dash lights are always on?
BTDT. Did it in on a long drive, as night fell I couldn't figure out why I kept getting flashed, was on the highway and I could see just fine. I think I was getting tired...

I know it's not recommended but often I will do my long drives with the parking lamps on, so that at least the rear lamps are on, or often I'll just flip the lights on, even if it's daytime, for that extra bit of visibility.

My 2000 Saturn had a green light on the dashboard to let me know the DRL's were on. At the time I joked that it was a light to let me know the lights were off. Now I have cars with a light to let me know the lights are on... I know the dashboard backlight is really nice and all, but it sure was simpler when looking at your dashboard told you if your lights were on or not, and if you need them on or not (if you couldn't read your speed, then you probably should have turned them on already).

It's not a GM problem. I'm saying it's a people problem. A person actively has to turn off the auto lights every time they start the car.
Yep … my wife leaves it on automatic … daytime, I put it on park lights because that cuts off the projector beams, leaves LED bars on in the front, and activates taillights …
Night = automatic + auto dimmer … nothing else …

I"m to busy dodging pot holes right now to do anything other than look at the road ahead, hey I just thought of a new sensor, a sensor to let you know a pot hole is coming and auto steer around it (y)
You just need an S class Mercedes with the Magic Body control option. Automatically adjusts the suspension so it smooths over the bumps. It was available starting in 2014 so maybe you can find a used one for 30-40k.

Good point. We already have alerts for seat belts not fastened or door ajar.
And even more … was trying to back the Jeep up closer to the boat …
… could not backup a single foot without putting seatbelt back on …

This does exist for some years. One of the cars in my sig does it that way. When I switch auto light off for some reason and it's 'dark' outside (or inside my garage) it will remind me. The other car in my sig does not (and the third one doesn't even have a light sensor for some obvious reason).

Toyota/Lexus drivers are the worst when it comes to driving at night without their headlights on.
My car has auto headlights but hardly never works when it’s raining because it’s not dark enough outside for the sensor to activate it. I have to manually turn on the headlight switch.

Back