Small rant on ignorant drivers and auto manufacturers.

The Hyundai thread inspired this and didn't want to hijack.

How long will this continue?

There's sensors to turn on the wipers when it rains, sensors to let you know you will back into something, sensors that dim your mirror, sensors that alert the blindspot, sensors that turn your headlights on, sensors that turn off a passenger airbag, sensors that alert of low tire pressure, worn brake pads, and on, and on, and on.

How about a sensor to let the doofus driver know that the vehicle is in motion, at NIGHT, with the headlights off? I get the fact the illuminated dash cluster gives the impression the lights are on, but what about the gaping dark spot in front of the vehicle.

What gives people? Are you so completely ignorant that not only you cannot see anything in front of you, but when multiple drivers flash their lights behind you that you don't have a lick of sense to remotely think that something might be wrong?

It just amazes me how so many drivers don't have a clue on simple basics of safety.

Small sidestep, can you keep your rear fog lights off in clear weather....lol.

Rant over.

That has existed for a long time - automatic headlights.

Your problem isn't with the technology, or lack thereof, but rather that automatic headlights are still an optional feature on cars and not mandated as safety equipment like backup cameras. Then again, with all of these things becoming standard, it's no mystery why car prices have gone up as much as they have over the years.

People do not look at the dash. They stopped teaching that in drivers Ed 30 years ago
Right … too busy with that hand held “ dash “ … saw a young woman almost get T boned today … using “dumb phone” at intersection … only she was in a jacked up F150 FX4 … and the car was small …

That has existed for a long time - automatic headlights.

Your problem isn't with the technology, or lack thereof, but rather that automatic headlights are still an optional feature on cars and not mandated as safety equipment like backup cameras. Then again, with all of these things becoming standard, it's no mystery why car prices have gone up as much as they have over the years.
Man, bought lots of vehicles since 2002 - the last model that did not have auto headlights … in fact all mine now do the dimmer thing when someone has approached … works good too …

This always grinds my gears as well. Especially on say a GM car, where every time you start the car it turns the automatic headlights off. I see people that drive GM vehicles that turn the automatic lights off and drive around with no lights on when lights are required.

Even with the backlit dash, most modern cars I have driven have a green light that comes on to indicate the headlights are on.

I for one like the technology. Intermittent wipers are not that great in a light and variable mist/rain. I always had to activate them myself or adjust the speed as we went. The sensor driven automatic wipers take care of all that for me.

The backup sensors with cross traffic detection really help when a big pickup is parked next to me and obstructing my vision. They will pick up a person too and alert me.

Cars have had daytime running lights for a while now. Anything that makes me more visible to others is always a better idea.

The key here is to let the technology assist you in driving but not become dependent on it.

The Hyundai thread inspired this and didn't want to hijack.

How long will this continue?

There's sensors to turn on the wipers when it rains, sensors to let you know you will back into something, sensors that dim your mirror, sensors that alert the blindspot, sensors that turn your headlights on, sensors that turn off a passenger airbag, sensors that alert of low tire pressure, worn brake pads, and on, and on, and on.

How about a sensor to let the doofus driver know that the vehicle is in motion, at NIGHT, with the headlights off? I get the fact the illuminated dash cluster gives the impression the lights are on, but what about the gaping dark spot in front of the vehicle.

What gives people? Are you so completely ignorant that not only you cannot see anything in front of you, but when multiple drivers flash their lights behind you that you don't have a lick of sense to remotely think that something might be wrong?

It just amazes me how so many drivers don't have a clue on simple basics of safety.

Small sidestep, can you keep your rear fog lights off in clear weather....lol.

Rant over.
Agree. Some streets are so well lit and/or the DRLs are really bright that people just don't notice.

Much of what you mention are active or passive safety features. They will continue to be added as long as the data demonstrate that they reduce crashes and injuries.

Questions???

I get what the OP is saying. I had a similar conversation back in 2008 when I took my motorcycle endorsement class where the instructors were talking about slipper clutches, traction control and ABS on motorcycles were gonna make a new generation of "coddled" riders. That's exactly how I see all this technology being put into vehicles, with exception of adaptive cruise control. What's wrong with turning your head to check your blind spot? What's wrong with LOOKING BEHIND YOU when backing up? I understand there are situations where that isn't possible, but a backup camera is the most I want, which I have and NOTHING else. I don't need AEB, blind spot monitoring, none of that crap. Why? Because I PAY ATTENTION WHILE DRIVING! To me, driving carries legal responsibilities.

... Then again, with all of these things becoming standard, it's no mystery why car prices have gone up as much as they have over the years.
And insurance and maintenance prices. One little boo-boo and you've got a slough of sensors & electronics to replace.

None of that is surprising. It’s the young people that want all of it. Except me who is a mechanic and keeps my wallet full when it all breaks and doesn’t like it on his personal vehicles. Automatic headlights aren’t bad. Two of our cars have that. I see people that need those a lot because they don’t have their lights on. I know people who don’t even look at the dash anymore they are too busy either looking straight ahead or looking at their phone. That’s not going to stop anytime soon either. Heck most people couldn’t open a hood anymore. It’s not going to stop it’s only going to advance more. The lady who hit me was on her phone and then got out all angry saying i hit her clearly she wasn’t paying attention and she got charged for it. My driving instructor said he used to tell new drivers to watch out for drunk drivers he says now watch out for people on their phone. I see tons of people on their phone all the time and that’s not something that’s going away either. Clearly the lady working at Verizon when I got my phone was wrong saying flip phones will make a come back 😂. I don’t see that ever happening.

This always grinds my gears as well. Especially on say a GM car, where every time you start the car it turns the automatic headlights off. I see people that drive GM vehicles that turn the automatic lights off and drive around with no lights on when lights are required.

Even with the backlit dash, most modern cars I have driven have a green light that comes on to indicate the headlights are on.
How is this is a GM problem …? Our Tahoe turns the headlights on day or night …
The dash is LED images and adjusts for current natural light …
Same with our sons XT5 … both vehicles are loaded with safety features …

Not to worry it wont be too much longer before driverless is mandated. Then you wont need wipers, headlights or even windows on the family car if you even own one. Mom can be loaded on antidepressants and vodka, Dad can get busy with his new GF or little johnny can get whooped up on mtn dew and doobage while playing video games. The smart car will magically transport the muddled snowflake occupants to their destination.

None of that is surprising. It’s the young people that want all of it. Except me who is a mechanic and keeps my wallet full when it all breaks and doesn’t like it on his personal vehicles. Automatic headlights aren’t bad. Two of our cars have that. I see people that need those a lot because they don’t have their lights on. I know people who don’t even look at the dash anymore they are too busy either looking straight ahead or looking at their phone. That’s not going to stop anytime soon either. Heck most people couldn’t open a hood anymore. It’s not going to stop it’s only going to advance more. The lady who hit me was on her phone and then got out all angry saying i hit her clearly she wasn’t paying attention and she got charged for it. My driving instructor said he used to tell new drivers to watch out for drunk drivers he says now watch out for people on their phone. I see tons of people on their phone all the time and that’s not something that’s going away either. Clearly the lady working at Verizon when I got my phone was wrong saying flip phones will make a come back 😂. I don’t see that ever happening.
And not just a USA problem … been in parts of Asia where I stop walking and brace for impact (being way bigger) … or sitting in traffic and they walk into the side of your vehicle … People are literally addicted to smart phones

Not to worry it wont be too much longer before driverless is mandated. Then you wont need wipers, headlights or even windows on the family car if you even own one. Mom can be loaded on antidepressants and vodka, Dad can get busy with his new GF or little johnny can get whooped up on mtn dew and doobage while playing video games. The smart car will magically transport the muddled snowflake occupants to their destination.
Hey, all that other fun stuff is cool … but please be more sensitive to Mountain Dew drinkers in this thread … they are among us 👽

Right … too busy with that hand held “ dash “ … saw a young woman almost get T boned today … using “dumb phone” at intersection … only she was in a jacked up F150 FX4 … and the car was small …
Some girl almost t boned my a few months ago. Same thing. It's infuriating.

Back