New Year's Resolutions for Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw this article today and found myself in agreement with everything he said. Here it is:

quote:

It's the first Monday of the new year, and I'm pretty sure I know what you're thinking: "How am I going to pull off all those resolutions that I made?"

You plan to lose weight, work out more at "the club," eat more fiber, stop smoking, start the Atkins/South Beach/water/nothing-but-salads diet, undergo a colonoscopy, visit your mom more and generally make yourself into a better person.

To that I would ask that you add a few more resolutions about your driving habits. Adopt all (or at least a few) of the following resolutions, and you'll make your fellow motorists very happy. Say it with me now: "I firmly resolve to … "

Wear my seat belt everywhere and at all times. I resolve to get my passengers to wear theirs, too. Not only is it the law, it's also smart. C'mon, aren't there enough things out there in life trying to kill us without us helping it along?

Use my turn signal. How tough is it to flick the turn lever up or down? It's right there by your left hand, for goodness sakes! You paid for it, so use it.

Not tailgate. It's dumb, dangerous and drives the other driver crazy. If you're the victim of it, safely move into the next lane if possible. If you can't, don't antagonize your shadow by hitting the brakes. Get your "back off" message across by activating your emergency flashers instead.

Stay out of the left (fast) lane of the freeway if I drive the speed limit (or slower).

Dim my bright lights -- especially if I'm driving one of those gigantic pickup trucks/SUVs -- when approaching another vehicle from the rear. Brights from those vehicles (especially those blue high intensity discharge headlights) can light up the inside of a nearby automobile like an operating room.

Not park in the handicapped parking spot, despite the fact that I'm only going to be in the store "for a minute."

Put down the $%&*@ cell phone and drive!

Turn down the $%&*@ CD player!

Safely move into the next lane (or slow down) if I see a police car, ambulance, fire truck, tow truck, school bus or courtesy van parked on the shoulder of the road with its lights flashing. It's the law.

(I shouldn't even have to say this next one, but here it is): I won't drink and drive. I won't get high and drive, either.

Make out my paperwork before I get to the drive-up window at the bank.

Not take up two parking spots. I'm not driving two cars at the same time, so why should I take up two spaces?

Not empty my vehicle's ashtray onto the street. Nor will I litter.

Let others into traffic.

Show my thanks for being let into traffic by waving, smiling or mouthing the words "Thank you" into my rear-view mirror.

Slow down in construction zones. Eighty percent of those killed in construction zones aren't road workers, they're motorists speeding through the work area.

Poster's note: in Michigan, this is a HUGE problem. People completely ignore construction zone speed limits, driving however fast they were before the zone. Doubling fines in contruction zones has failed miserably to do anything to solve the problem.

Stop for stop signs and yield for yield signs.

Read Tom Greenwood's Commuting Column in The Detroit News every day.

(I just threw in that last one to see if you were paying attention.)

Link to orginal article.

Also...when making a turn, stay in your lanes and actually turn the wheel as it was designed to be used. It seems that I need to hit the brakes hard more often than needed when slowing down for a light as people are cutting the corners.

How about using the full length of the left or right turn lane, as opposed to waiting until you're 20 feet from the end of it, or better yet, not getting in it at all, just turning from the through lane? (That's really good for left turns during rush hour--why, when you miss the left turn lane entirely, inconvenience yourself and find a place to make a U-turn when you can just stop in the through lane to make your left turn and inconvenience everyone else?)

How about, "Don't inconvenience other drivers". This include lane selection, proper speed, signaling, parking, attention, and most other behaviors that other drivers complain about. Think about how your driving affects the other guy and dis' the me-first-f-u attitude.

Quote:
"Not park in the handicapped parking spot, despite the fact that I'm only going to be in the store "for a minute."
Thank you! You just don't know how frustrating that is to find all of the handi spots taken, and half are without hangtags or plates. Please remember that it may not be that someone needs a place that is CLOSE, but wide enough for safe transfer from car or van to wheelchair by the side of the vehicle.

me-first-f-u?

Consider what Robert D. Hare, PhD wrote:

Camouflage Society

"In my book, Without Conscience, I argued that we live in a "camouflage society," a society in which some psychopathic traits- egocentricity, lack of concern for others, superficiality, style over substance, being "cool," manipulativeness, and so forth- increasingly are tolerated and even valued."

I first read about this "camouflage society" theory in a criminology textbook, and I really do believe there is something to it.

I first read about this "camouflage society" theory in a criminology textbook, and I really do believe there is something to it.

Get out more and you'll see a daily testimony of its bold existance. No notion about it. It's in everything from the snotty-snobby suburban type that thinks only little people need to wait ..to the just about any depth of anti-social behavior. One rationalization on top of another ..or forget that ..they just do it and say "so?". It's not limited to low lifes or mundanes ..many elite have this same attitude ..they just think that their socialized version of low life behavior has its qualities. "It sucks to be you." ..so to speak.

Another resolution: Even though I have 4-wheel-drive, I will not start driving like a maniac at the first sign of snowy roads. Maybe that applies more to places where snowy conditions are periodic?

A friend of mine who did a lot of study and work with the MMPI (can't remember what the acronym stands for) personality test said that a high, but not too high, score on the anti-social scale makes a good executive. It's been awhile, but I think he said companies would look for that trait in recruiting. (Anti-social Personality Disorder is the clinical diagnosis for one commonly referred to as a "sociopath.")

brian/Gary,
when my sister was doing psychology, one of her assignemnts was on sociopathic tendencies, and how senior managers and politicians had a concentration 6 times the generaly population of people with sociopathic traits.

Time and time again, when companies that I've worked for go recruiting, one of these people will get the job, while another manager who can actually work with the workforce gets knifed.

"MMPI"

Minnesota Multi-phasic Personality Inventory, I believe is the proper term.

As I mentioned on the off-topic message board, I not-too-long-ago took the long 4-1/2 hour version followed by an in-depth interview with a clinical psychologist.

Aced the thing and a local government entity hired me.

It's been around quite awhile and despite my disregard for the various types of tests, IQ, emotional IQ, etc etc etc I grudgingly have to admit that the MMPI has been proven to be fairly effective and is used by MANY entities from private firms to governmental agencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back