Small LCD TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
that vizio is nice because it is 1080p. The samsung, sharp, sony, etc. that Ive looked at are all 720p.

I hate the artifacts around moving objects - a major reason why I refuse to buy an LCD TV... I still see them even on 240Hz sets. I suppose that at 19-22", any is small enough for it to be a non-issue, and 1080p will not be a discernable difference?

1080p vs 720p on a 20" TV for bedroom watching is a nonissue. Other items are more important such as bezel color.
LOL.gif

Well I'll have to do the tests. I have no tolerance for the slightest imperfection in picture, given the overpriced nature of LCD TV sets.

I personally notice the difference between 1080p and 720p when displayed side by side with a good source. Ive done this - and the 720p annoys me.

Looking at the 720p by itself also leaves me lacking... maybe I just hold it to a high standard (I am happy with my panablack crt tv) because of the hype and what I've seen that they CAN do in the high-end section...

For the small application though, 22" vizio is decent, but there is an equally-priced 23" samsung at costco, the P2370HD... I am curious if Vizio can really be trusted, or if it is better to stick with a main brand like Samsung (not sure how I feel about the colored bezel though).

Just bought a 720p 32" Vizio for my den. Not too impressed at first, but the set is so adjustable that it now is my favorite TV. In this price class($399 or so) the DCR is defeatable, color temps are fully adjustable, The backlight is adjustable and very even. On my 1080P set I can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. Directv now has movies available in 1080p. Have watched 2 now, and the motion is so smooth that you never see blurring like you do in 1080i or 720p. These movies are 24fps just like a blu-ray. As with all LCD's, a 720p at it native resolution will look better than 1080p trying to reproduce the 720p or 1080i, signal when it has 1920x1080 native res. Too me Vizio's are good. Just buy them at Costco and you get a full 2 year warranty and 90 return policy with no restock fee. The 32 in Vizio is also available in a 1080p model but it is a $150 higher. Also Vizio's have great owners manual in only English, very detailed and explain in detail each funtion clearly.

They had a story in the Costco magazine at some point on the Vizio company. I think it was about a year ago or so. I bought my Samsung about a year ago and the article was before that.
I read the story and it sounded like a company that is doing things right.

I believe the story was focused on the guy who started the company if I remember right.

That 22" Vizio looks great with 1080p, 1080i, 720p, and even 480i (both digital and analog).

I've hooked it to my laptop via RGB cable and it looks outfreakingstanding. It's as good as any of my computer monitors, and in fact, I may use it as such when the monitor on this machine dies.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
That 22" Vizio looks great with 1080p, 1080i, 720p, and even 480i (both digital and analog).

I've hooked it to my laptop via RGB cable and it looks outfreakingstanding. It's as good as any of my computer monitors, and in fact, I may use it as such when the monitor on this machine dies.

My son suggested I use a 1080p TV for a computer monitor. I've been thinking about it too.

There is even a new 32" Vizio 1080p LCD that has a built-in DVR type feature. You plug in a USB flash drive or hard drive (unsure of minimum size) and you can pause the TV for up to 30 minutes. Costco has them for $500.

Went to best buy today to check things out. Set all of the TVs to the same set of parameters and looked them all over.

I don't know... all I can say is that LCD TVs are overpriced...

The best one was a 19" Samsung '650' model LCD. The 22" version started showing artifacts and digital garbage in a much more real way, so for me, 720p is no good in a 22" TV - it is only acceptable in a 19" TV. Maybe with an ideal source it would be, but given that I refuse to buy cable, I won't have an ideal source.

Problem is, the 19" TV will be at least 10 feet away from our viewing position.

Seemed OK in best buy (did the test), but not sure how this correlates to practical viewing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Problem is, the 19" TV will be at least 10 feet away from our viewing position.

Might as well just save some money and get a radio instead. :)

Why? I had a 19 CRT that I used for casual watching from roughl the same distance - no issues in the past...

If you are going with something smaller for casual bedroom TV viewing, I would get a slightly less reputable brand and somewhat larger size.

Instead of a 19" Samsung maybe look for a 24" Vizio, Insignia, or Walmart brand. If the prices are close I would go for the bigger set since I doubt you will notice much change in picture quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back