School me on pepper spray, gel, foam, etc. Bonus point points for actual experience on dogs.

DPS Black label X-stream is probably the strongest and quickest acting that you're going to find and on top of that it has an 18 ft stream.

There are YouTube videos about people being sprayed with different pepper sprays. The fox squared is pretty hot stuff too. But DPS Black Label is probably the strongest you're going to find. The 2 oz can with the belt clip is more than sufficient to take out two NFL football players if they were to be your opponents coming at you in a dark alley. Get some very small rubber bands and put them around the can and the bottom of the clip to better secure the can to your belt. You can still quickly pull the can free from your belt and the rubber bands will just go flying.

Buy DPS Black Label x-stream directly from defense protection systems LLC.

It's a law enforcement grade product that has 10% OC and 2% CS.

Because it's a stream there's a lot less chance of getting innocent bystanders but you may have to quickly adjust your aim to get a direct hit in the face. It's recommended that you make the sign of the cross from one side to the other first right across the eyes and then straight up and down to get the nose and mouth very well. It's called blessing them with the hot sauce.

Buy the small rubber bands on Amazon. They're the kind women use in their hair. I use three of them to better secure the bottom of the clip to the can so that it doesn't fall off the belt when bumped.

Look for the YouTube videos about DPS pepper spray. There's one of a prison guard who is being initiated to what it's like to get hit with pepper spray. It's a pretty good video. There's also one of an actual violent inmate being sprayed with it and how it totally changed his attitude.

While I would not hesitate to spray and attacking dog with whatever pepper spray I was carrying which in my case would be DPS x-streme black label, you should know that anytime you spray a dog there is a real chance that you could kill the dog with a spray. It's not likely to happen but it has been known to happen. Also, there are special pepper sprays made for dogs that are a lot less powerful than the DPS x-stream Black Label. Believe it or not, bear spray is actually pretty weak compared to pepper spray meant for stopping and attacking human. This is because bear spray is regulated by the federal government as a pesticide. The advantages of a bear spray container are that the quantity is very large and also it has a pretty darn good range.

Last edited:

"A can of hornet / jellow jacket spray is just as effective. Sprays very far too."

"WRONG" is correct. .... And to clarify why -
Spraying someone with a spray not intended for humans could be against the law,
especially if they lose their eyesight.
I would just hate to have to explain it in court.
It's better to use the correct product (pepper spray) for what it was intended for.

What brick and mortar stores actually carry mace or pepper spray, I’ve honestly never seen it in the wild.
Gun stores all carry it. My local Fred Meyers store (Krogers) has it in sporting goods in a secure cabinet along with fancy flashlights and pocket knives and such.

My dad takes pepper spray when he rides his bike, and he's sprayed a few dogs. When you're on a bike and moving the spray doesn't get on you that much unless you ride through whatever mist it makes

So lately, I've taken to walking about my rural area for exercise and (not to mention escape from the women folk) and I sometimes do it after dark. Usually, everyone has their dogs under control around here, but I'd rather not have to shoot one in case someone's Fido is out and decides I'm a bad guy. I was about to order some Sabre brand spray just now, but thought I would ask for "expert" advice before I just picked one (It seems we're all experts on everything here, LOL) . What is the suggested brand, format and delivery system you all prefer? Real world experience is tops.
I have a can of mace pepper spray, intended use is for dogs. I've used it once while bicycling. Amazingly, I did make contact with a dog who was a regular chaser.
My tips, get a couple canisters so you can get a bit of experience with how it sprays. Be prepared for getting it on you, and how to deal with that.
The sprayed dog in question immediately stopped. It never chased me on that route again, so apparently effective.

How about actual experience on people? When I was in the Navy I had to get pepper sprayed for the "Auxiliary Security Force" (Voluntold position). It was to learn compassion for it's use. We carried a 9mm or M16 as well. I asked why they were not shooting for the sake of compassion. Everyone laughed.

It hurts and I was not at all pleased. I think, if memory serves me had 1.2 and 2 percent. They always told us it was enough to stop a dog.
When my grandparents were moving we found a can of pepper spray my grandfather had, it was ancient, from the 80’s IIRC… and what’s an otherwise unsupervised and bored 12 year old and his 9 year old brother to do but spray it (outside, we weren’t completely stupid)?

The end result, because wind, was similar to that scene in The Hangover where Bradley Cooper says “We messed up…” except with more tears and snot.

Back