Small capacity oil pan question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Pontiac g-6 3.5 liter v-6 with a 4 quart oil capacity. This seems like a small oil capacity for a v-6, most other 4 cylinder cars I've owned have been 4.5 to 5 quart capacity. I also have a 2010 Caravan with a 3.8 v-6 that has a 5 quart capacity. It seems like the trend has been to increase oil pan capacity to 6 or more quarts to increase OCI times, especially in Ford products. Any thoughts on why GM would have such a low capacity for this engine and should I run it a little over, like a 1/2 quart? Or maybe increase the OCI? Thanks

I would run a synthetic in a smaller oil pan and tend to run shorter ocis than if the car had a larger pan. Don't overfill.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
I would run a synthetic in a smaller oil pan and tend to run shorter ocis than if the car had a larger pan. Don't overfill.

+1. Overfilled is overfilled.

I would also keep a close watch on level, with the smaller sump it will be more sensitive to low oil levels.

Don't overfill.
And why in the world would you want to INCREASE your OCIs??
Remember, V8s of 300 to over 400 used 5 qts, so you are not in any short supply.

Originally Posted By: mbell1968
Any thoughts on why GM would have such a low capacity for this engine and should I run it a little over, like a 1/2 quart? Or maybe increase the OCI? Thanks

Cost cutting or packaging concerns. Toyota's 3.5L V6 has a 6.5 qt sump. I would do a 3000 mile OCI with PYB for that tiny sump.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Don't overfill.
And why in the world would you want to INCREASE your OCIs??
Remember, V8s of 300 to over 400 used 5 qts, so you are not in any short supply.

Sorry, I disagree. My Kids Honda 1.8L uses 4 quarts. Displacement is displacement...2x the combustion byproducts

Originally Posted By: FZ1

Glad my Subaru Outback's oil pan holds 7 quarts (6-cylinder engine).

I think OP means decrease not increase OCI with such small sump. One way to increase sump capacity is to install larger oil filter if there is space for it.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain

Glad my Subaru Outback's oil pan holds 7 quarts (6-cylinder engine).

Most people think that large displacement V8 engines of yesteryear should've had a larger-than-5-quart oil pan. (And maybe they should have) A lot of four cylinder engines also had 5 quarts. Remember that it's usually the length of the crankshaft that determines how much oil the pan holds. The inline 6 cylinder engines have a long crankshaft and quite often they were set up to hold 6 or more quarts. The V8 engines really don't have a crankshaft much longer than a 4 cylinder, so a lot of the 4 and 8 cylinder engines were set up for only 5 quarts, even if the V8 engines had twice the displacement. Some inline 6 cylinder crankshafts can hold a lot of oil.

Meh. I've had two different Nissan V6s. The 3.3 in my Frontier had a sub-3.5 quart pan. The Max's 3.0 has a 3.7 quart pan. About 300k combined and running like new without burning a drop between changes.

Eventually you learn to stop worrying about such things.

Sorry, I meant decrease OCI. Thanks for the input, did the old 3.4 liter have this small of a sump, I know GM sold millions. Should be an indicator.

I service 3 GM 3.9l V6s that have the same oil capacity as your 3.5l. They have all operated without issue on their 4 quart sumps, except the one with AFM. The driver of that one has the pleasure of adding a quart of oil any time she drives more than 100 miles at highway speeds, because the oil is used to deactivate the lifters for the three cylinders when it goes into 3-cylinder mode. It disappears somewhere, but nobody has been able to tell her where it goes.

If your Pontiac has the AFM, then I'd be a bit more concerned about the low capacity. Otherwise, just follow the OLM and check the level occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back