Sludgy 1990 F150 5.0

If I want to use HPL product that’s my business. I don’t want to argue. Everyone likes what they like. End of discusssion. The OP is free to use what oil he wants.

I never said I was arguing. Chill out already. I take serious offense to your first remark. I DO NOT DOUBT HPL products. Sad that you do. To each their own. Everyone has a opinion. I could care less personally

I never said I doubt them. Actually, it’s quite the opposite. I’m setting an account up with them because they offer something I need as a distributor. So I’m literally putting my money where my mouth is. And I don’t particularly buy small volumes either.

HPL and I see eye to eye on a number of aspects.

Just, for cleaning and filtration purposes, there’s a reason why cleaners exists. You can only do so much with a Lubrication oil. If they designed a way to put that much cleaner in their oil, great. I don’t know their formulas so it would be wrong of me to speculate publicly. Just the same reason I don’t get into the debate of brand X over brand Y.

I never said I doubt them. Actually, it’s quite the opposite. I’m setting an account up with them because they offer something I need as a distributor. So I’m literally putting my money where my mouth is. And I don’t particularly buy small volumes either.

HPL and I see eye to eye on a number of aspects.

Just, for cleaning and filtration purposes, there’s a reason why cleaners exists. You can only do so much with a Lubrication oil. If they designed a way to put that much cleaner in their oil, great. I don’t know their formulas so it would be wrong of me to speculate publicly. Just the same reason I don’t get into the debate of brand X over brand Y.

I understand. But when members tell me and show me that their oils do clean well….

I don’t know; maybe I’m stupid and listened to folks that told me wrong; dunno.

I have some HPL 5w20 on way so I’ll report back.

I understand. But when members tell me and show me that their oils do clean well….

I don’t know; maybe I’m stupid and listened to folks that told me wrong; dunno.

I have some HPL 5w20 on way so I’ll report back.

Designing an oil is like baking a cake.

There’s tons of different types of cakes out there. All with slightly different recipes. But you can only put so much of an ingredient in before you change the recipe completely. It’s still a cake, just not the cake you intended to bake.

By adding more of X you need to subtract from Y. Or you get to the point of adding so much of X, that it doesn’t do any good.

I have faith they’re pushing the limits of an engine oil in a positive way. But the chemistry can only go so far. Cleaners exist to do things lubricating oils can’t do completely on their own.

If you look at overkills post in this thread, it gets into a bit. But the chemistry involved is a bit more complicated than I care to type out on a phone.

Simple answer! Use Mobil one,but any synthetic will clean very well..try n use a 10w30 if you can,lower black volatility than 5w30. Simply check the dipstick after it sits overnight. Dark oil means filter loaded up..change oil,filter.but prob gun na be way before 5000 miles.1300-1700 probably.

So now the truck has 131,500 miles on it, son has put about 11,500 miles. The other day he recorded 21 mpg.
The pictures show M1 5-30 extended with 2,300 miles on the Motorcraft filter. Filter got stuck on the block, so it got a bit mangled.
Oil was not changed as a new filter was installed to run the oil to a 5k interval.

This is the pan the filter contents were poured into.

IMG_20230425_194749437.jpg

Next is the inside of the filter can.

IMG_20230425_200232230.jpg

And finally, the filter media after draining overnight.

IMG_20230425_200547519.jpg

So now the truck has 131,500 miles on it, son has put about 11,500 miles. The other day he recorded 21 mpg.
The pictures show M1 5-30 extended with 2,300 miles on the Motorcraft filter. Filter got stuck on the block, so it got a bit mangled.
Oil was not changed as a new filter was installed to run the oil to a 5k interval.

This is the pan the filter contents were poured into.

View attachment 153258

Next is the inside of the filter can.

View attachment 153259

And finally, the filter media after draining overnight.

View attachment 153260
Still cleaning good I see. What oil filter was re installed? Thank You and keep up good work 🍻👍🇨🇦🇺🇸

Looks like if you want to stock up on big filters Rock Auto has the Wix 51459 on closeout for 5.82, the Wix 51773 is the direct cross reference for the FL299, but the only difference it the bypass on the 51773 is rated at 8-11PSI, while the 51459 is rated at 7-9 which is close enough to me.
1682802201573.png

I'd be running about the cheapest filter you can find and continue on what you're doing by changing the filter about every 2500 miles and then change the oil at 5k. It definitely looks like the Mobil 1 is knocking the crud loose but I'd be running something a bit cheaper like Chevron Delo, I know HPL would really clean it out but I'd try to clean out as best that you can before going down that road, it might clean it too much and then clog it all up which is what you don't want and best to clean it out slowly.

It's awesome to see this continuing on, thanks for the updates.

The picture of the filter media you have pulled apart looks a lot like what HPL does with all that carbon, it breaks it loose and the filter catches it, although you have way more than any of those other pictures I've seen.

So here is another chapter with a correction as the last Motorcraft filter change was at 132,500 miles.
This oil/filter change is at 135k with about 2500 miles on the filter and 5000 on the Mobil 1 5w-30.
Castrol 5w-30 Edge was added with a Fram XG filter. The Edge jugs cost us a little over $2.

It is still my sons daily and averages 17 mpg and has done a far bit of hauling most likely up to 4000 pounds, was a bit scary to drive over 45 mph on that load... All AC components replaced, and this thing blows cold. I few more non-cosmetic items, like the steering box and a cracked exhaust manifold, need to be addressed but this thing rides nice and is reliable.

Surprisingly it looks like the high amount of junk is slowing quite a bit now. Pictures make it look worse than things truly are this round. Filter media is much better and drain pans have way less debris. Plan is to do a 5k run with this oil and filter combo.

Comments and questions are welcome!

IMG_20230819_150301622.jpg

IMG_20230819_151603729_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230819_155148121.jpg

IMG_20230819_155239566_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230819_165708609.jpg

IMG_20230819_170352342.jpg

IMG_20230819_170510035.jpg

IMG_20230819_170348769_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
That’s still pretty nasty! I would change the oil every 3000 miles. Just before toss a can of sea foam in.
I wouldn't try any experiments with that engine, it's sludged up and the best thing would be to just let it clean itself slowly but surely, no seafoam, no flush additives, just keep changing the oil and the filter.

So here is another chapter with a correction as the last Motorcraft filter change was at 132,500 miles.
This oil/filter change is at 135k with about 2500 miles on the filter and 5000 on the Mobil 1 5w-30.
Castrol 5w-30 Edge was added with a Fram XG filter. The Edge jugs cost us a little over $2.

It is still my sons daily and averages 17 mpg and has done a far bit of hauling most likely up to 4000 pounds, was a bit scary to drive over 45 mph on that load... All AC components replaced, and this thing blows cold. I few more non-cosmetic items, like the steering box and a cracked exhaust manifold, need to be addressed but this thing rides nice and is reliable.

Surprisingly it looks like the high amount of junk is slowing quite a bit now. Pictures make it look worse than things truly are this round. Filter media is much better and drain pans have way less debris. Plan is to do a 5k run with this oil and filter combo.

View attachment 175258
View attachment 175259
View attachment 175260
View attachment 175261
View attachment 175262
View attachment 175263
View attachment 175264
View attachment 175266
I would run a couple idle flushes with a low cost oil. Looks to be cleaning up nicely. Win!

View attachment 175258
View attachment 175259
View attachment 175260
View attachment 175261
View attachment 175262
View attachment 175263
View attachment 175264
View attachment 175266
Very good sir. So what filter went back on? You left the M1 5w30 in?

Thank You

Back