Skills every man should know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say skillfully fulfilling your wife's physical and emotional needs and raising children to be good citizens would far outrank car maintenance. Apparently these two things are beyond the abilities of many men, but would go a long way in rectifying most of society's problems.

My Dad taught me to
* dig holes,
* shift dirt,
* build stuff,
* fix cars (then I taught him),
* prepare concrete,
* lay concrete,
* grow stuff,
* move stuff.

My Mum taught me to
* cook,
* vacuum,
* clean (I think I failed),
* reason, by arguing alternate view points within myself.

My future wife taught me to
* Not judge,
* slow down a little,
* I'm not a team of one.

My children taught me
* Patience,
* that I work at a cloud factory (they are correct),
* that batteriable is a word that fits with the English language structure.

Self interest taught me a whole raft of other stuff, defintitely diversions at times, and stuff that I'd willingly pass on, build, maintain etc.

Curiosity, and the desire to learn killed a few cats (allegedly).

A day without learning is truly wasted.

And if a Man truly believes that he knows what he needs to know, then he doesn't know squat.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
The simple phrase "Yes Dear" will take you far.
Can I see a picture of your dress? clearly your woman is wearing the pants!
crackmeup2.gif

You are right though...

My Contributions:

Know how to use basic tools like a hammer, screw-drivers, ratchets, saw's of various types.

Know how to paint

I can summarize down to:

Rule #1: Acquire the skill to think. This is more about survival and ease of living.

Rule #2: Be respectful towards other people. They have not yet mastered Rule #1.

I use this phrase quite frequently. When my wife tells me to do something, I will say 'yes dear' very slowly and sarcastically just to irritate her. She's about used to it now!

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Can I see a picture of your dress? clearly your woman is wearing the pants!
crackmeup2.gif

You are right though...

All women/wife wear the pants. Just a fact

Originally Posted By: bigmike
I can summarize down to:

Rule #1: Acquire the skill to think. This is more about survival and ease of living.

Rule #2: Be respectful towards other people. They have not yet mastered Rule #1.

Very nice!

1. Common sense.
2. Basic respect for peoples rights and properties.
3. Mechanical understanding.......
and just how to act and behave like a man.

Heard a good one that fit in here:

"The man who gives in when he is wrong is wise.
The man who givs in when he is right is married."

I'll answer the question in a somewhat more abstract way...

Skills every man should have:

1. Be a good husband.
2. Be a good father.
3. Be a good citizen.

I don't think it matters if a man doesn't know how to change a flat or fix a dripping faucet. In the end, the most important part of being a man is being there for your family and your community. I strongly believe that a huge part of the reason our nation is coming apart at the seams is because so many don't take responsibility for their own lives.

Originally Posted By: kb01
I'll answer the question in a somewhat more abstract way...

Skills every man should have:

1. Be a good husband.
2. Be a good father.
3. Be a good citizen.

I don't think it matters if a man doesn't know how to change a flat or fix a dripping faucet. In the end, the most important part of being a man is being there for your family and your community. I strongly believe that a huge part of the reason our nation is coming apart at the seams is because so many don't take responsibility for their own lives.

Nice stuff but hopefully not to sound like a recent politician, everyone has a different definition of what "good" means. To some, a good husband is one who is away from home all the time earning a good living but neglecting the wife and/or kids. Is THAT a good husband? To another, a good husband is one who is home all the time but brings in very little money and the wife/and or kids do without certain things. Is THAT a good husband? Who knows?....it all depends.

skill that every man should know:

1) knows what bull [censored] smells like and don't believe in it
2) knows the difference between what is fact and what you want to be true
3) knows that there are things that you don't agree with but others believe is true and important (i.e. religion, politics, etc)
4) knows that human in general is the weakest link and plan according to the likely failure scenario (i.e. don't rely on others being perfect every time).

Cars, home, computer skills are useful depends on where you live and what you do, but not must have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back