How A Tennessee Man Amassed The World’s Largest Junkyard Of Jeep Cherokee XJs

Wonder if the zoning department knows about it. Or the state EPA. Getting a junkyard license is nearly impossible these days due to all the regulations.
I am glad they have the laws because people with neighbors decide to amass vehicles. I ended up with a neighbor who did this against my first home and he was so angry when I called state as you are only allowed a few unregistered vehicles on property. Thankfully he was too poor to register them for $80/piece.

Every autopian article (a.k.a. old Jalopnik in drag) is written for hipsters who know absolutely nothing about cars.

Great subject matter for an article, but the exaggerations and BS from the writer are an instant turn-off.

"You’ve got to realize that, prior to about five years ago, Jeep Cherokee XJs were almost disposable — you could buy decent ones for $500 all day."

"Sure, he might break a few driveshafts, suspension components, or even engines in the process, but hey—he puts on one hell of a show. He’s not afraid to rip off a wheel or roll one of his trucks down a steep embankment; not in the slightest."

Somehow I went on to read the “similar threads section” and came across this interesting stroker idea posted in 2004. Enjoy.

92E459A8-E30A-4EB4-9E5C-8E5CE4ACF381.jpeg

Interesting read. Pretty savvy business man also. Of note, some jeep owners blame him for the high price of XJ parts. The man claims the opposite, without his business many XJs would have been scrapped, thus less used parts on the market.

"If you’re a fan of a particular car or truck, you might have a few laying around your yard. Maybe one’s a driver, one’s for winter, and the rest are for parts. Dexter Browder’s yard is a bit like that, but he doesn’t just have a handful of Jeep Cherokees. He’s got about 700 now."

Once I saw the headline I knew it had to be an autopian article. David Tracy is calmest as bad with his huge collection of Jeeps.

Back