“Inspect Accelerator Pedal” every 7500mi?

Looking at the basic maintenance schedule for my 2017 Bolt, this strange thing stands out.

Every 7500 miles I am supposed to “inspect accelerator pedal, replace if necessary.”

What does that mean? What am I inspecting? I know it works fine because the car drives.

Thanks for any input on this quirk.

IMG_4102.jpeg

That's odd. Not usually a stand alone item. Should be included with 'inspect and lubricate body parts; door hinges, glove box latches, HVAC knobs, dome light switches, throw out bearings (MT equipped models) and other wear items.'

Measure the change in voltage applied through the travel of the pedal?
No drop-outs...consistent readings, that sort of thing? Smooth actuation.

Accelerator pedal and TPS are the same thing if sending bad info to the main brain. ....known cheap parts?

I went through this with the wife’s 2006 Avalon. Toyota issued a recall and cut about an inch off the accelerator pedal to keep it from hanging up on the floor mat. Added anchor tabs to the mats as well. Her Lexus has the mat anchor tabs.

Accelerator pedal and TPS are the same thing if sending bad info to the main brain. ....known cheap parts?
Something the average owner is going to do?

@dogememe Is this list from the owner's manual?

That's an odd maintenance item, with a frequent inspection schedule too. It would be useful for the manual to state what exactly your supposed to be inspecting.

I think it wouyld be checking for play. the voltages are checked continually by the ECM. Play could cause locking up

If this is Toyota, that would not surprise me.

Context: I had never owned a Toyota product until 2016, when I bought a 2006. I was surprised to learn that the car co. was concerned with the original clips which hold the OE factory mats. They were supposed to be fitted with new ones, and the ones that came from the Tahara factory removed and replaced with the new design.

And to put it into plain English, that's amazing. Because the ones on my BMW are simply owner installed, randomly, with the idea that they're there to hold the mats in place, what's the big deal?

I'll tell you what it is on the BMW. My car is a manual, and the factory OE rubber mat is one size fits all. My mat gets caught in the clutch.

What also dawned on me is a clear difference in Engineering between Japanese and German, and what they focus upon. My BMW has heat for 30+ min when the car has been shut off, never used that feature except 2X in 17.5 years and think it's odd but interesting.

Something the average owner is going to do?

@dogememe Is this list from the owner's manual?
A lot of these things even a dealer will never ever do. Case in point on my used Lexus that was dealer maintained its entire life before me.

There was zero coolant to be seen in the overflow and in the radiator (not uncommon at the time if you checked the forum).

Why? Because Toyota pink SLLC had a 10 year first replacement interval, and the cars were not 10 yet. So nobody checked it, even dealerships (level is viewed from driver looking forward, and intake to air box needs to be removed to access), so it simply evaporated over time.

Checked coolant and oil levels on every car that needed the hood lifted. And I would say that was the norm at the place I worked. We also checked and filled batteries that had screw on lids on the cells, but only at service time.

No. Something they'll tell you to have done at a 'ship.
Lexus at the dealer with a 3UZ-FE, SA needs to write, “customer states you better change 8/8 plugs not only 7 because the one by the dipstick is harder to access.”

Better yet DIY

As Tom Hanks said in the Dragnet remake, "It's the vertical pedal on the right. IT MAKES THE CAR GO!"

Uh oh.....I may have violated a copyright or something.

Back