"Thank You" no longer a thing?

Once I was at Publix Supermarket getting a sub from the deli.

Deli employee handed me the sub and I said:
Thanks you’re the best.

That simple gesture put a big smile on her face. ☺️
It’s not hard to be nice and thank someone.

Last edited:
Having gone through two weddings myself, I never expect anything from the bride or groom. I find the whole experience stressful and borderline overwhelming. Somehow you typically spend your entire wedding trying to accommodate everyone else.

No need to also force them to list, remember who gave what, and send out thank yous in a time that likely also involves moving or other large life changes. Or just a honeymoon.

If someone needs a thank you, I'd much prefer they just attend and not give a gift. Honestly. I don't think newlyweds care about gifts and would consider the lack of a gift rude -- or even notice.

Our kids write thank you notes for every gift they’re given. Is it a pain? Yes. Does it make for a more polite and appreciative situation? Absolutely. I also make sure they say thank you when someone gives them something, tells them something, or does something for them.

It takes parenting. Plain and simple.

And from my observation, the boomers didn’t always parent so well, and so their kids didn’t know how to parent the next generation, and so it’s getting lost. Not all my friends, who are in the age group mostly of parents born very late 40s-mid 50s, had all the customs pushed on them. And they pushed back. I noticed it in school, growing up, and today. And the parents let it slide. And that’s not so much a poke at boomers, per se, though the two income and divorced families I suspect to correlate… but instead that it is in my observations a multi-generational loss that is occurring.

Our kids write thank you notes for every gift they’re given. Is it a pain? Yes. Does it make for a more polite and appreciative situation? Absolutely. I also make sure they say thank you when someone gives them something, tells them something, or does something for them.

And from my observation, the boomers didn’t always parent so well, and so their kids didn’t know how to parent the next generation, and so it’s getting lost. Not all my friends, who are in the age group mostly of parents born very late 40s-mid 50s, had all the customs pushed on them. And they pushed back. I noticed it in school, growing up, and today. And the parents let it slide. And that’s not so much a poke at boomers, per se, though the two income and divorced families I suspect to correlate… but instead that it is in my observations a multi-generational loss that is occurring.

Lots of truth there

Socrates had something to say about the lack of manners over 2,400 years ago. It must have been a very slow decline or it couldn't still be happening. 🤔
This may be the quote you were thinking of? It's actually a paraphrase by a 20th century dude of several Greek writers' complaints about kids that often gets miss-attributed to Mr. S.
"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

I found an easy fix, I no longer give gifts (except the grandchildren). I still tip workers and I always get a Thank You. I did have to speak to my Daughter though. Not that I expect a Thank You from small children, I just needed to know that what I mailed they received. I would not want them to think Poppy forgot their birthday. And I usually get a Thank you note in crayon which makes me smile.

This may be the quote you were thinking of? It's actually a paraphrase by a 20th century dude of several Greek writers' complaints about kids that often gets miss-attributed to Mr. S.
Just wait until I start attributing random quotes to you! :p

I gave 2 $75 gift cards to two CNAs that stayed over their shift 4 hours.. $150 total. And they both said thank you for sure…

My other coworkers said thank you has well and were very very grateful for my gesture. Because we had only 1 CNA on the schedule for 54 patients during that time.. Instead we had 4 because another very nice coworker stayed too.

I told that other coworker thank you more than once.

My supervisors above me thanked me as well. I called one of them and she was shocked by what I did. She said she was speechless… She told me she thought no one had ever did what I did there. I told her it was no big deal and that I felt like it was the right thing to do. Right to do for everyone… my patients and my coworkers.

I greatly, greatly appreciated all of their thank you received.

In my area of upper middle class and a few upper class income heir kids around daughters age (10) write thank you notes for their birthday gifts or party.

It’s not dead, not sure how it carried forward.

I'm 67 and finding that many times when I think people should acknowledge a gift, it just doesn't happen.
My good friend's (I was his Best Man) daughter got married a couple of years ago but it was in Georgia and I responded that I could not attend. I did send a check to the bride and groom for $200.00 which I thought was sufficient for a wedding I wasn't going to. Since I didn't know where they would be living, I sent it to my buddy's house so he knew I sent "something". The check was cashed but no thank you note was ever sent.
I attended my boss' son's pre-wedding dance party not too long ago. They are Indian and there are many events surrounding the actual wedding. For this dance party ceremony, I also gave $200.00. No thank you, again. The wedding was in Italy so for that, I wasn't even invited, thankfully.
I just recently finished 40 sessions of Physical Therapy for a knee injury. At the conclusion, I gave the therapist/co-owner a card on my way out the door for the last time. In the card were four Amazon gift cards for $50.00 each; one for the therapist, one for the front desk person, and one each for the two gym aids that set up the exercise equipment. Once again, no thank you from anyone.
My other good friend's (he was my Best Man) daughter had a baby 3 weeks ago. For her, I got two baby outfits, a stuffed animal toy carefully chosen with no buttons or other attachments that could come loose and pose a choking hazard. I also put a $100.00 Amazon gift card in the actual card.
So far, no thanks from her either but in her case, there's still time.
While I don't do these things solely to receive a "thank you", I do feel it is rude when people don't acknowledge the gift, or the time spent getting the gift. Am I expecting too much? I don't think so. All these people have my cell number and/or email. They don't have to go to Hallmark and buy a card for $5.99 just to say thanks, a simple text or email costs nothing and takes perhaps 2 minutes, tops!
Oh well, I'm done ranting. Thanks for listening!
Absolutely not acceptable. I too lament declining standards. It saddens me that f bombs on bumper stickers are an acceptable thing. But gifts such as these still require a thank you. That’s the still current standard. A wedding gift requires a card. The PT gift should receive a card but an email wouldn’t be an unmitigated disaster, just not a best practice. Even the people who think nothing of f bombs on cars agree with this.
Of course, there’s no actual law broken, but I’m saying that even today there is a social penalty involved.

Agreed. These things need to be taught. Not just the social requirement, which is a real thing. But the more important actual appreciation, which is generally lost upon a child.

There have always been people that say thanks and people that don't, this is not a new thing, imo. I agree people should say thanks, acknowledge someone's generosity or kindness but as know that's not always what happens. I work with a lot of teens and young adults and MANY will say 'thank you' every time if something nice is done for them. But some don't. I think it's from being raised by parents - who probably never said thanks growing up themselves - that just never taught them. It's unfortunate because not doing this expected thing can greatly limit your success in life in a lot of ways.

All that said though, I feel OP's pain, it doesn't take much to say thank you and if you went out of your way for someone - ie sending people you barely know $200 - it's reasonable to expect some type of acknowledgment.

How many Christmas cards do you get anymore. Or Birthday cards. Its just not a thing.

Yes a thank you would be nice, but if you require a thank you to feel the exchange is complete, don't give. Its no longer a gift at that point.

Most people give money to such events because they feel compelled. "bosses daughter got married, I sent $200 gift, now where is my thank you card?" The bosses kid likely has no clue who you even are.

The whole notion of all these required "gift giving" events is the issue, not the giving or receiving part.

I think it all falls under "etiquette". A lot of the "should-dos" have gradually fallen by the wayside as society has become a more ME ME ME one. There should be somewhat of an expectation of a "thank you" if you send/provide something and that same expectation should be on the side of the receiver, too, to show appreciation, ie: I received something, I give thanks. @SCMaintenance "The whole notion of all these required "gift giving" events is the issue, not the giving or receiving part." I agree with this, too. Sending out notices en masse to people you don't even know in order to receive loot shouldn't happen like your bosses daughter example.

Back