Simple Question (2.0 VW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi to all!...

I need some advice..

I have a SEAT IBIZA 2.0 (the 2.0 VW engine) i need a good 5w-40 oil.
My OCI will be 5k 6k
I will drive in heave traffic, lots of stops and go, 1-2% highway, ZERO freeway, lots of short trips (5-10 miles)... I want to hold my car in good shape for more than 150k with a clean engine,

My two top options are
Castrol Syntec 5w-40
Valvoline Synpower 5w-40

I have access to Mobil, Redline (too expensive in my country) and Shell Helix Super and Ultra..

So with this info, which oil do you recomend me?

Thank You...

Either is a good oil, but I vote Valvoline Synpower just because I have used it and was happy with it. Used that in my 1.8T and it held up well. But it's pretty hard to find though. I get them at Napa but they're not usually stocked.

-
5W-40
patriot.gif

Go for Valvoline Synpower 5W-40. I used both those oils in my VW 1.8T. The Syntec 5W-40 was getting consumed at an much higher rate than it should have been.

I'm currently running Castrol Syntec 5W40 in my Wife's `03 Golf 2.0. The only reason its in there is because it was free(...it helps having friends who are VW techs
wink.gif
). But I'd much rather have the Valvoline.

If a poster in Mexico asks about oils in Mexico
why do Valvoline fans send 3 of their recommendations for valvo w/o even looking at its availability there.

Maybe Valvo need to be set up like GC as a topic for Valvoheads so threads can be clear of this waste.

quote:

I have access to Mobil, Redline (too expensive in my country) and Shell Helix Super and Ultra..

Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40.

quote:

Originally posted by m2200b:
If a poster in Mexico asks about oils in Mexico
why do Valvoline fans send 3 of their recommendations for valvo w/o even looking at its availability there.

Because the poster said that Valvoline 5W-40 is one of the oils available to him.
grin.gif

Yes im from Mexico, and we have available Valvoline , Shell, Mobil, Castrol, RedLine, LiquiMoly, Motul, Elf, Royal Purple... and my preferences ($$$) were Valvo or Castrol, maybe Helix Ultra, thats why i asked for advice...

Thank you all it seems Valvo is better than Castrol (at least in your cars, so maybe in mine too
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:

quote:

Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40.

Moribundman, Shell Helix Ultra is 100% Syntetic, do you know if the base oil is from Group IV or is it from Group III similar to Valvo and Castrol?

I believe Shell Helix Ultra is a hydrocracked oil, but I'm not 100% sure. The formula may be very similar to Pennzoil Platinum 5W-40. The European Helix Ultra is a full synthetic and at this time available only in 0W-40 and 5W-30.

If it is good enough for Ferrari, it should work well in your VW.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Carlos2.0S:

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:

quote:

Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40.

Moribundman, Shell Helix Ultra is 100% Syntetic, do you know if the base oil is from Group IV or is it from Group III similar to Valvo and Castrol?

See this thread:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=013247;p=1#000013

thank you for the info...

How about the viscosity?,
the weather in my city is from 32oF to 95oF, it never snow, and 80% of the year is around 70oC-85oC, i dont care about VW warranty, i just want a good oil. Im asking this cause im seeing that 0w-30, 0w-40 oils seem to be better than 5w-40, but i dont know for my engine, and the weather in my city if that viscosity is ok.

Thank you in advance.

Two suggestions:

1. You are using an oil that is too heavy. Suggest 5w30.

2. Of the choices you listed Mobil 1 is the best synthetic.

Engines run a lot hotter than people and as a result are much less dependent on outside air temperature. Modern cars don't need 40 wt oil in Canada or Mexico. It's only the Europeans that are so confused that they think their cars need it.

Ron AKA, I used to own an 02 Beetle with the 2.0 engine sold in North America. These engines tend to consume oil; some much more than in my case. I noticed much less oil consumption when I used Castrol 5W-40 (1 qt per 4-5k miles) vs M1 5W-30 (1qt per 2.5-3k miles) over the 10k OCI which VW recommended and I followed.

Carlos2.OS, my best advice is to monitor the oil level frequently especially if you are running the 10k OCI.

quote:

Originally posted by Ron AKA:
. It's only the Europeans that are so confused that they think their cars need it.

Most of them change the oil at stealerships following the appropriate recommendations.

quote:

Originally posted by X72:
These engines tend to consume oil; some much more than in my case. I noticed much less oil consumption when I used Castrol 5W-40 (1 qt per 4-5k miles) vs M1 5W-30 (1qt per 2.5-3k miles) over the 10k OCI which VW recommended and I followed.

2. that. Most VAG engines (except a few of the newer ones) run best on oil that has HT/HS@150C > 3.5. A few xW-30 oils fall into this category. I would recommend 5W-40 or 0W-40 that has VW502.00 spec.
Ron: Most Europeans let the dealer do the OC at recommended intervals, as stated in the manual. Is that confusing for you?
lol.gif

i have the same 2.0 liter ABA engine, and this engine absolutely LOVES Valvoline. weather it be synthetic, dino or blend, she operates very smooth on it. I switched to super tech my last change since im planning on selling her soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back