To change or not to change from API SN to SN+... or SP 🤔

No ideea where I can get a uoa in Sweden...https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/liz-cheney-says-if-trump-wins-a-2024-presidential-nomination-she-won-t-be-a-republican/ar-AA12cPtG?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=e6bd5cdba2f9438581bbbf4c16b8ca37o
Well maybe if you Googled it over a half dozen sites popped up for me. But I'm not great at reading Swedish.

Hello!

I need help to decide.

I'm new to the world of oils but I understand some things.

I have a 2018 Honda Civic Type R with some "bolt ons" and a remap. Power went up from 316 hp to 400 and torque from 400 Nm to 500. The last thi g I will do is to mount a water-methanol injection kit.

The OEM oil is Honda 0w-20, API SN and, I belive ACEA A5/B5 (not sure)

Some time ago I decided to change to 0w-40 (all others performance small cars use 0w-40 or 5w-40 oils), stick to API SN but go with ACEA A3/B4. In my understanding the higher SAPS and higher HTHS of A3/B4 should protect more the engine.

At this moment I have Motul 8100 X-Max 0w-40 (SN, A3/B4) in my engine.

Now I read about SN+ and SP and find that they protect more against LSPI while SP oils ar even better for protection against timing chains elongation, sludge formation and oxidation.

0w-40 is only as a SN+ oil (ACEA C3). Where I buy motor oil they have Mobil 1 ESP 0w-40 and Shell Helix Ultra 0w-40

The SP oils that starts with 0w- and I can find here (in Sweden) are 20 or 30. (also ACEA C3). They are the Castrol Edge 0w-30 and the Mobil 1 ESP 0w-30.

What should I do? Stick with 0w-40 as many other high output 2.0 engines use and buy an API SN+ oil or go down to 0w-30 (which is still of a higher viscosity than OE oil) and buy the newer SP oil? Or stay with the ACEA A3/B4 API SN oil that I use now?

Thank you!
Honda engines do not have LSPI issues. They do have fuel dilution. I use Mobil 1 ESP 0w30 in my 1.5t. Now has 160,000 miles on it.

Honda engines do not have LSPI issues. They do have fuel dilution. I use Mobil 1 ESP 0w30 in my 1.5t. Now has 160,000 miles on it.
Where do you get it? My local Walmart has M1 0W40, PP euro L 5w30 (running that right now in my 17 Accord Sport.

I can get at auto parts store but don’t really want to pay their inflated prices

Thanks, I should have mentioned, they do have the quart bottles for the price you mentioned. Advance auto had the 5quart jugs for $39.

Trying to find the 5qrt jugs at Walmart but no joy.

Thanks again

Back