Silverado transmission pan removal

Here is an A-1 Auto video on the topic. Of course in their version the exhaust is not rusted tight.

I saw this video. I think next time I go to try this again I'm going to hit it with my bernzomatic kit I just bought. Maybe I can get the pan off after that and can work on the drain plug that way. I bought a replacement plug ready to go.

There are socket sold at Amazon to take off rounded bolt if you have not mangled it.
I bought a set actually from OReilly, the time I need it, it works real good.
Of course, a good vice grip but if you work on the ground, that is a lot more difficult.

There are socket sold at Amazon to take off rounded bolt if you have not mangled it.
I bought a set actually from OReilly, the time I need it, it works real good.
Of course, a good vice grip but if you work on the ground, that is a lot more difficult.
And HF, if need them right now:

Also Sears sells the USA made Craftsman ones still I ordered a set back a couple of months ago from them it’s USA made I was impressed.

Of the big three, Ram would be last on my list.
To be fair, to be faaaaaaaiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrr.......the new Rams are pretty legit, esp. with the newer ZF trans and they've been getting some really good reviews but the MDS/lifter/cam issue is akin to GM's AFM/DFM issues and a definite subject that needs to be looked at. But honestly, if I were buying a new 1/2-ton right now, it'd be a F150 3.5l EB...especially with the power increase for the new year.

To be fair, to be faaaaaaaiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrr.......the new Rams are pretty legit, esp. with the newer ZF trans and they've been getting some really good reviews but the MDS/lifter/cam issue is akin to GM's AFM/DFM issues and a definite subject that needs to be looked at. But honestly, if I were buying a new 1/2-ton right now, it'd be a F150 3.5l EB...especially with the power increase for the new year.
I’d totally buy a Ram over any Chevy or GM Products. Ford would definitely be my first choice though.

Get a new pan. Most GM transmissions don't have a drain plug, anyway. An aftermarket pan should be available for your truck.

In most cases, you don't really need to replace that filter, anyway.

Here's the last pic I have of my pan. See if you can zoom in and take a look at the plug.
IMG_20201123_155428.jpg

Yeah vise grips would be about the only thing left to do. That’s what I had to do to my trucks oil drain plug and it was on there tight too took me about 20 minutes of pushing the vise grips will all my weight to break it loose lol

If it’s just for fluid change use a top side oil change pump and draw the fluid up/out of the dipstick tube. The same amount of trans fluid is drawn out vs drained. If there are problems with the trans dropping the pan won’t solve them.
Filter?

Filter is there to catch worn clutch pack lining and/or bushing wear. If that’s going on in the trans it’s toast anyway. It will need an overhaul. Changing the filter doesn’t correct the problems. Keeping the fluid clean is the answer.

Back