Can't remove trans drain plug on 2001 Chevy Tahoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey man, make sure you are turning counter clockwise. Its happened to the best...Impact with chisel will work..Or like you said, drill out......I take it that the pan is still bolted on to the tranny..

Originally Posted By: Gito
Hey man, make sure you are turning counter clockwise. Its happened to the best...Impact with chisel will work..Or like you said, drill out......I take it that the pan is still bolted on to the tranny..

My dad, neighbor, and I were under the truck. I was definitely turning counter clockwise. I've done my fair share of wrenching on high performance rock crawler Jeeps, high performance Sea-Doos, and boats and I have never seen a bolt this tight before. It's insane.

At this point it might be easier to replace the pan. Rockauto has a Dorman (Part # 265811) for $36 that looks like the factory deep pan with a drain plug. That's assuming you have the 4L60E. They also have a 4L80E pan for $47.

What a mess. I hope you can work this out soon.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
At this point it might be easier to replace the pan. Rockauto has a Dorman (Part # 265811) for $36 that looks like the factory deep pan with a drain plug. That's assuming you have the 4L60E. They also have a 4L80E pan for $47.

Thanks I saw that that on RockAuto also. I'm going to see what this trans shop says this week and go from there.

Originally Posted By: KeithKman
Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic

Thanks I saw that that on RockAuto also. I'm going to see what this trans shop says this week and go from there.

Heat the bolt with a small propane torch.

I had the same with my Silverado. I dropped the whole pan like it had no drain bolt in it (messy). Then with it on the ground, I welded a cheap Harbor Freight boxend wrench to the bolt from inside the boxed end. Then used a cheater bar and broke it free. Bought a new bolt from dealer ( $8 )and I will never have that problems again. Well worth the time and cheap too. Took about 10 minutes to get bolt off after pan drop.

These drain bolts seize all the time on those trucks. Just drop the pan. It's not hard to drop it and not make mess and you can clean it while your at it.

Called the transmission shop. The guy was real nice. Said he would only charge me labor. I asked him about the drain plug and he said some of them are on so tight they don't even touch them anymore. They just drop the pan. I asked if he could take a look and try and remove the drain plug and he said he would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back