Trans flushing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do maintenance on a 2001 Ford Windstar. The ford DVD ROM maintenance manual doesn't list procedure for trans filter and pan drop. I did this last weekend. Man was that a mess!!!

The only procedure they have listed for changeing trans fluid is to disconect lower line at trans, plug hole, put tube on trans line and drain fulid into bucket while engine is running.

I have always avoided this method and used more frequent pan drops.

My questions: Has anyone used ths method for the vehicle stated above? If so what size hose will I need to attach to the trans line? Can the trans be damaged by using this method? If you have done this before for a Windstar do you have tips, tricks or advice before I try it?

I do this method all the time. I've never had to connect a hose to any of the vehicles I've done this way. They've always reached the bucket for me. If not any hose should work. As long as its about the same size. A short piece of garden hose slid over the trans hose might work well. The fluid doesn't really come out under a lot of pressure. Yes you could burn the pump up but only if you let the trans run dry a long time. Put the hose in the catch bucket and run the engine in park or sometimes neutral (wheels chocked and brake set) When the stream slows shut off the engine and top off again. Most cars you'll actually see the fluid start flowing a lot more red (clear red) after two or three fills. I do mine every 50K. Instead of a pan fill every 30K. Might be overkill but transmissions aren't cheap.

the procedure described is safe and effective on any automatic.

Just be wary, the second you see any air in the stream shut it down quickly.

Repeat until fluid is clear.

Note this does not remove the need for periodic filter replacement.

Originally Posted By: MC5W20
I do maintenance on a 2001 Ford Windstar. The ford DVD ROM maintenance manual doesn't list procedure for trans filter and pan drop. I did this last weekend. Man was that a mess!!!

The only procedure they have listed for changeing trans fluid is to disconect lower line at trans, plug hole, put tube on trans line and drain fulid into bucket while engine is running.

I have always avoided this method and used more frequent pan drops.

My questions: Has anyone used ths method for the vehicle stated above? If so what size hose will I need to attach to the trans line? Can the trans be damaged by using this method? If you have done this before for a Windstar do you have tips, tricks or advice before I try it?

It seems more manufacturers are specifying this procedure,my Infiniti specifies the same.
I always pump approx 4 qts out this way without refilling before dropping a pan with no drain plug,its much cleaner,when filter change is complete refill and continue.

This method IMO is probably the best way to do what's closest to a complete fluid change,it is not flushing which could have some negative side effects.
You can pick up some 3/8 i.d. clear plastic tubing from HD,it should fit your lines with no problem.I keep a few short pieces of 3/8 and 7/16 stuff around it fits most lines i run into.

MC, I don't remember how the cooler lines looked on my 2001 Winny, but I'm pretty sure there were long enough hose sections on them to route into a bucket. Unrelated, but I can confirm on some GMs, they are plumbed solid with steel tubing. You need a section of hose for those. For my Windstar, I did a pump out and refill through the dipstick tube (may have done 2) around 34Kmi. IIRC, 3qts came out per session. A week or two later I took the van back to the Ford dealer I bought it from and had them do a pan drop and filter change. I think that was around $100. What ever route you take, you're gonna get some on ya and you'll love the smell of Mercon 5 or the universal alternative of your choice.
37.gif

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back