2013 Terrain 6t45 issues

Hello, I have a 13' terrain 2.4l with the 6t45. A while back it lost all forward/reverse movement. It would move and shift when stone cold but go away within minutes and quit moving as it warmed up. So, I bought a replacement "LKQ" used trans and swapped it out with the old TEHCM which worked fine for three days and now, the same issue, no forward or reverse. This leads me to believe the TEHCM module is bad......filled the trans hot and level BTW.
But, I did not know of the adaptive learning procedure into recently......so my question is did I hurt the second trans or was the first trans even bad? Will not running the adaptive procedure cause a trans not to engage?
I am ready to purchase yet a third transmission, install it and have it flashed for the VIN and the adaptive procedure run on it.....but before I do that is the old trans/TEHCM worth messing with? The trans is a pain to install as you have to drop the cradle so if there are checks I can do in the meantime, I appreciate the opinion. There is a Hydramatic guy that I read some posts on here that he had answered to "clinebarger" I believe.....Cline, if you are still here, what do you think?
Thanks for your time.

Jeff

You are crazy reusing one of the most important components from a transmission with a known problem. This platform and the 6F35/50/55 for fords are almost identical. They all have main control/valve body wear issues.

You can try replacing the main control but at this point there are no guarantees.

Last edited:
^^^^
This...

Since it's such a Royal PITA to replace, I would replace everything I could afford with brand new parts.

I think what I am going to do is buy a known good used trans.......install the TEHCM out of it into the current trans, have it flashed to the VIN and learned.....then see if it works.....if not, then the trans gets swapped in with that TEHCM......this would give me the ability to see if it at least works......and if it doesn't well then I have the rest of it.
It was my first rodeo with these transmissions and wasn't as educated as I should have been prior to the swap.

Jeff

To be clear. I would NOT re use or swap around any TEHCM. Stop swapping them. Just use what came with the transmission if you going to continue with used transmissions. If you buy a new and install it that’s different.

I have a lot of experience with these vehicles and that powertrain combo is garbage. I replace about 2-3 TCMs a month on those 6 speeds. They run about $500 before labor and programming so I can see why you were trying to save some money but this isn't the place for it. You do need to set the adapts with a proper scan tool anytime a TCM is replaced. You should try resetting the adapts before doing anything else.

To be clear. I would NOT re use or swap around any TEHCM. Stop swapping them. Just use what came with the transmission if you going to continue with used transmissions. If you buy a new and install it that’s different.
Keep in mind, you will still have to program it to the vehicle.

Keep in mind, you will still have to program it to the vehicle.

I realize that. But IMO on a used transmission it’s a complete waste of time with so many unknowns. Especially when you’re swapping from a transmission with a known problem. He could even be transferring the problem that caused the failure in the first place. That’s why I said it’s a different story when buying new/reman.

Last edited:
Long as the TEHCM's OS (Operating System) are the same....It doesn't technically need to be reprogramed. If the used unit was a 2013.....You didn't need to swap out the TEHCM. GM usually stays with the same OS for a few years.

Long as the TEHCM's OS (Operating System) are the same....It doesn't technically need to be reprogramed. If the used unit was a 2013.....You didn't need to swap out the TEHCM. GM usually stays with the same OS for a few years.
Actually being that 2013 Terrain is global A and TCM is one of the modules that stores a global environment identifier it does need programming work but not SPS programming. Used trans would either need to be cloned from the original TEHCM with IO Terminal or DC706 or the used trans virginized with a virgin file and either tool then programmed with SPS. Installing a used module in a global A is playing with fire if you dont know what you are doing

I have a lot of experience with these vehicles and that powertrain combo is garbage. I replace about 2-3 TCMs a month on those 6 speeds. They run about $500 before labor and programming so I can see why you were trying to save some money but this isn't the place for it. You do need to set the adapts with a proper scan tool anytime a TCM is replaced. You should try resetting the adapts before doing anything else.
I have access to a scanner that will perform the adapt procedure and plan on doing that first, just to see if it will respond.....if not then I have to punt.

Jeff

Last edited:
I was under the impression from researching that the TEHCM had to "see" the VIN of the car (or vice versa) for it to function properly or else it would error out and throw codes.

Jeff

I was under the impression from researching that the TEHCM had to "see" the VIN of the car (or vice versa) for it to function properly or else it would error out and throw codes.

Jeff
It does - you have to program it to the vehice VIN

Actually being that 2013 Terrain is global A and TCM is one of the modules that stores a global environment identifier it does need programming work but not SPS programming. Used trans would either need to be cloned from the original TEHCM with IO Terminal or DC706 or the used trans virginized with a virgin file and either tool then programmed with SPS. Installing a used module in a global A is playing with fire if you dont know what you are doing

I do it all the time with supposed Global A TCM's. Just did a used 6T45E in a '14 Impala without issue. Granted I don't work on many passenger cars/CUV's.
The '14 & up K2XX fullsize platforms are also on the list per PIP4670J, I've swapped so many T43 (6L80E/6L90E) TEHCM's on these I've long lost count.

I do it all the time with supposed Global A TCM's. Just did a used 6T45E in a '14 Impala without issue. Granted I don't work on many passenger cars/CUV's.
The '14 & up K2XX fullsize platforms are also on the list per PIP4670J, I've swapped so many T43 (6L80E/6L90E) TEHCM's on these I've long lost count.
So plug and play? Try it and see if it responds or throws codes? Run adapt on it if it "sees" it?

Jeff

There could be a environment identifier in the TCM, I just haven't ran across it in the field. I do know that PIP4670J is incorrect for at least some on the vehicles listed.

I first use a "Bench Flash Harness" to check the OS using HP Tuners, But a capable scan tool will also work. I use a standalone harness as I don't like installing mismatched controllers.

This is just a theory.....TECHM's don't have a VIN tied to them, So why equip them with a environment identifier?? However trying to use a TECHM with the wrong OS could trip the EI in the ECM/BCM....Though I've never been brave enough to try.

If I'd actually done this on a '13 Terrain....I say with 100% confidence it would work, Or not.

Timmastertech & GMBoy are giving sound advice as GM specifically states NOT to swap in used modules on Global A vehicles, If it was any other module....They would be 100% correct.

There could be a environment identifier in the TCM, I just haven't ran across it in the field. I do know that PIP4670J is incorrect for at least some on the vehicles listed.

I first use a "Bench Flash Harness" to check the OS using HP Tuners, But a capable scan tool will also work. I use a standalone harness as I don't like installing mismatched controllers.

This is just a theory.....TECHM's don't have a VIN tied to them, So why equip them with a environment identifier?? However trying to use a TECHM with the wrong OS could trip the EI in the ECM/BCM....Though I've never been brave enough to try.

If I'd actually done this on a '13 Terrain....I say with 100% confidence it would work, Or not.

Timmastertech & GMBoy are giving sound advice as GM specifically states NOT to swap in used modules on Global A vehicles, If it was any other module....They would be 100% correct.
Thanks a ton for your insight.....I now know how I am going to approach this.
New or rebuild trans is not in the budget.....I can get low mileage used transmissions to my doorstep for $400 so yes I gamble a bit, but hey, it was running when it wrecked as my Grandfather used to say.

Jeff

Back