Trans spline alignment?

So I installed a single mass flywheel from Clutch Masters, and tried putting the trans back in, but twice, it would only go in this far. The kit came with a new pilot bearing, but don't know what it's supposed to be for. Tried a couple of tricks, like putting it in gear and turn the output shaft while trying to push it in, but it hasn't gotten any better that this. Would anyone know some suggestions? I've wiggles it wide to side, back and forth for hours and it hasn't gone in any further. I'm wondering if it just isn't quite lined up right. Looked at it, and it looks perfectly center, but maybe later next week I'll realign it.

IMG_20240323_153329884.jpg

IMG_20240323_145610306.jpg

Last edited:
Did you test fit the bearing to your transmission input shaft? If so, did it slide on completely? Did you remove the old bearing or bushing from the crankshaft prior to trying to insert the new bearing? I wish we had some pictures to view to see what it is actually doing. That's odd that you can't fit the transmission shaft into the pilot bearing.

Did it come with a clutch alignment tool with your kit? If so, does the alignment tool slide completely into the bearing?

The new bearing slides onto the input shaft no prob. The clutch kit does come with an alignment tool, and it fits in all the way. The new flywheel came with a bearing in it, but why I was given a different bearing with it, I'm not sure.

2019 Fiat 124 Spider. And I took it off to do the clutch drug, it slid right out no problem, but I forgot to mention, even when it's halfway in, you have to pry the thing out because it gets stuck. Think later I'm just going to realign everything and hope that works. What I'll try in the next day or two is take off the clutch assembly and try sliding in with just a flywheel. Keep thinking that maybe I'm supposed to do something with the pilot bushing.

So I reseated the disc, and everything went in smoothly. I finished putting everything back together this afternoon, but I have some other issues. I don't know if Singlemass flywheels, or just aftermarket parts will make noise. Note that I currently have the car on stands. I did a little test by putting it in gear while it's in the air to see if everythings right, seems to be. In neutral I can rev it as high as I want, but in gear, the speed and revs are limited, even with traction control off. The other issue is that the engine and trans shake the whole car doin it, but I know some cars don't fully turn off the traction control, even if you hit the button. At first, there was a loud scraping and grinding sound from the trans, but after about 10-15 mins if running it, it went away. There's still a very faint scraping sound, but it's not that bad. I didn't have enough fluid for it. It takes about 2.2qt, and I put a little more than 1.5qt in. I asked Clutch Masters if there's some break in period. Do new parts make noise before being broken in? I'd think that if something wasn't aligned right, it, the trans wouldn't even fit, like the first time I tried. I read the service manual on how to install everything back, and there wasn't some super specific way on how, just torque down bolts/nuts at a specific torque spec and you're done.

Back