Toyota 2AZ-FE magically stopped burning oil

Now I am not going to jinks myself *knocks on wood*. But, I used to add maybe a quart of oil every roughly 2-4 weeks in my 2008 Toyota Camry with the 2AZ-FE motor. The last time I added oil was 2 weeks ago. Since then, I noticed the car hasn't burned a drop of oil at all.

Not sure how it stopped burning oil. I mean, I did get a new job and commute further. The majority of the drive is 55+ MPH back roads. I used to top off oil with whatever is available at work which is Motorcraft 5w-30 full synthetic. I did an oil change 4500 miles ago with Supertech 5w-20 full syntenic (I am due for an oil change in 500 miles. Most likely going to go with 5w-20 Supertech again).

Not sure how it stopped burning oil but 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I think clogged oil control rings are usually the issue with those Toyota engines. I've heard that thinner oil can sometimes reduce oil consumption, because it allows undersized or clogged oil control rings to work better. If the oil is too thick, it overwhelms the oil control rings, and oil gets pushed past the rings.

With your longer commute, your oil is spending more time at high temperature, and highway driving increases engine load and piston temperature, which makes the oil hotter and thinner at the pistons than it would be in low speed driving. If there's any cleaning going on, these conditions are probably better for that as well since you'll have more oil flowing through the control rings. The thinner oil grade and warmer spring weather may be helping too.

I'd stick with the Supertech 5W-20 for now since it could be helping. Maybe add a mild cleaner like HPL EC30 at your next oil change if you still have some consumption. It will thicken up the oil, so you might want to mix it with 0W-16.

Back