Silicone Baking Sheet for Sliced Potatoes

White potatoes are now one of my most important foods, and I think they're going to stay that way. Picked up another 10 lb bag of reds today.

I got 2 silicone baking mats and a big half sheet bake pan it fits in perfectly, and today I sliced a bunch of peeled reds about ¼" thick, and coated them with a little olive oil, and baked them in the pan on the silicone sheet for 30 minutes at 375℉, and they sure came out tasting good. They didn't brown much at all but they had a nice moist, potato-ey flavor. Yum yum!! I almost never got sick of potatoes if they're cooked right.

Everything in moderation... I like the occasional baked potato or bake potato slices/wedges. Double baked potato skins is addictive

Everything in moderation... I like the occasional baked potato or bake potato slices/wedges. Double baked potato skins is addictive
I've been experimenting with my diet for over 40 years. White potatoes are now one of the 20-25 whole foods I find most beneficial for my body.
(I only eat 20-25 foods in all.)
I've seen all the bad things said about potatoes, and I know people who eat nothing but white potatoes for weeks at a time.
I like white potatoes much better than rice or millet because they're not as acid forming and they help balance my pH.
I like their taste, and they're not expensive.
Good source of protein, magnesium, resistant starch, and potassium, among other things.
Avoiding nightshades never did me any good. I've been there, done that, and it was a waste of my time.

White potatoes are my favorite too. I agree with your statement as being an important food. There have been reports that if prepared properly, they actually can help with weight loss. It's all the toppings and cooking methods that can make them unhealthy.

Good tip on the baking sheets, going to try it. 👍
I was using enameled metal pans and the potatoes browned on the bottom and stuck to the bottom, even if I coated them with olive oil and I had to scrape them off the pan to turn them over. They don't stick to silicone, which I like. Easy to turn over, though I think you could leave them be to cook without flipping them at all.

Yesterday I baked a pan full of sliced peeled red potatoes, and with no oil at all, and they came out tasting very good.
No oil needed. The silicone baking pan is the best way to bake potatoes.
And with almost no browning, I think the acrylamide levels are lower too.

Parchment paper works well with any pan or baking sheet to prevent sticking. It's basically silicone impregnated paper. I use it a lot.

Parchment paper works well with any pan or baking sheet to prevent sticking. It's basically silicone impregnated paper. I use it a lot.
Can you use the same sheet of parchment paper over again many times?

Nope. I mostly use it for moisture control in bagged food. It's also, basically, a disposable version of the sheets you mentioned. I use it sometimes for roasting Brussels sprouts. Eliminates the sticky remnants in the baking pan. Really nice for lining the crock pot when I make a slow cooker meatloaf.

Yep. I do the same except I use parchment paper on a metal pan with no oil. Kids love them, too.

Anyone that says potatoes are unhealthy or have too many carbs or lead to weight gain doesn't understand nutrition but is instead just parroting stuff they heard somewhere else.

Anyone that says potatoes are unhealthy or have too many carbs or lead to weight gain doesn't understand nutrition but is instead just parroting stuff they heard somewhere else.
I agree. Potatoes don't cause weight gain for me, but fruit does if I eat a lot of grapes every day, or about any fruit.
It's also what you put on the potatoes.
I can eat a banana a day or a slice of pineapple and not gain weight.

White potatoes are now one of my most important foods, and I think they're going to stay that way. Picked up another 10 lb bag of reds today.

I got 2 silicone baking mats and a big half sheet bake pan it fits in perfectly, and today I sliced a bunch of peeled reds about ¼" thick, and coated them with a little olive oil, and baked them in the pan on the silicone sheet for 30 minutes at 375℉, and they sure came out tasting good. They didn't brown much at all but they had a nice moist, potato-ey flavor. Yum yum!! I almost never got sick of potatoes if they're cooked right.
Try drizzling it with malt vinegar it makes tgem amazing

Yes, if you don't get fat or oil on it in areas where the food doesn't shield from heat so that it oxidizes into a varnish. It's too fragile to scrub that off but in general any other residue can just be soaked and agitated off in hot, soapy dish water, then hang dry so that it dries flat enough to reuse. I suppose you could iron it flat too but that's one step too many for me to do.

I don't much care for the thicker silicone bake sheets because all I've tried, gave off an unpleasant smell at normal baking temps. For potatoes I just use a seasoned metal pan though I don't bake cut-up potatoes all that often except for scalloped/etc in a sauce or steak fries in a toaster oven.

Back