Signal Oil Company radio advertising

Status
Not open for further replies.
I often listen to OTR (Old Time Radio) on my internet radio. The SIGNAL OIL COMPANY was a regular sponsor of many of these shows (eg The Whistler) so it isn't unusual for their commercials to still be part of the playback of these episodes (some from 75 years back). Anyways, half asleep, but I think I heard the spokesman for SIGNAL's PCMO recommend that the oil be changed every 1500 miles.

Wouldn't you love to see a VOA of their oil?

Last edited:
I love the "Whistler" (and I'm only 39) and have always enjoyed the Signal commercials that were in them. They had all kinds of promotions and would never happen today. Heck, I would have been a Signal regular back then! Signal, the go further gasoline...

I remember Signal Oil ads...

Does your Whistler programmes have a preamble to the next episode? "Next week... *ding dih ding* Your car broke down on a back road around the city...a distant car approaches, and you eye it carefully...Help perhaps? You stare at it as it passes by...There is no driver and no passengers in that automobile!

"Stay tuned for our next weeks' episode of The Whistler. Sponsored by your friendly Signal Oil Company. Remember..."

Vehicles back then typically ran SAE 30 or 40 , usually SA or SB. Lifespan in such inefficient engines was short.

I too am a huge fan of OTR and The Whistler. Signal oil was very good, but it was their gasoline...especially their pre-war gasoline, that was really the nuts. Remember, it was the go farther gasoline.
I especially liked it when they worked a Signal station into the script. Loved the Bugs Bunny and Jack Benny parodies of The Whistler as well. That Whistler could be awfully smarmy and devoid of any sort of compassion, I tells you.

I've listed to a lot of those, too! Philip Marlowe used to have lots of Mobil references. All the payphones in LA those days were in Mobil gas stations, to hear him tell it.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back