Sight seepage from drain plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody edited out the YouTube video I embedded in my last post. And no notation of it being edited by a mod. First I've noticed that.

You might try a thin smear of high temperature rtv on the sealing surface. I've had success with this on industrial equipment where the washer sealing surface has become dinged up. Use sparingly and on the surface where the sealing washer contacts the oil pan.

Originally Posted by Mossyoakglock
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Did you try giving it a tiny tweak tighter? I had the same problem twice with an aftermarket plug with a magnet, both times I wiped it down and gave it about 1/16th of a turn tighter, and it resolved the problem. Next OCI I might just go back to the problem free OE plug.

Edit: "I" found the crush washers with that square tab and the one with the black ring to work the best. I have a Dorman transmission pan with a drain plug that leaked like a sieve. The washer with the black ring fixed it perfectly. The crush washer they provided sucked.

I did. I think it's 18 ft/lb and I went a hair tighter but still an issue.

I think OReilly might sell a replacement seal for the OE plug but if they don't, are those blue nylon washer/gaskets a good idea? It has ridges like it's a type of crush washer.

are you sure about 18 lbf.ft? I would double check!

iirc, my engine oil drain plugs (out of 4 cars) are in the 25-32 lbf.ft range. I think one of my cars that i changed the oil recently was 26-28. I typically do a good job without a torque wrench. Once in a great while I double check with torque wrench and I'm pretty close.

my cars take a regular aluminum or copper washers. I've never had problems with either. Only one of my cars (Toyota) has a cardboard looking washer . I think inside is aluminum ... It doesn't leak but I'm not used to it yet.

My 07 Cad is also 18 lb ft so this is not atypical for GM. I also switched to a Needa magnetic plug with the built-in gasket (see pic) and it works very well. It may be worth buying a new plug (or at least the gasket as suggested earlier). If you move quickly and hold your finger over the hole you can replace without losing much oil!

Edit: confirmed 18 lb ft at https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.hollonoil.com/OCH/Engine%2520Drain%2520Plug%2520Torque%2520Chart.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjB7sOArpnmAhWGhOAKHTvwDb8QFjAKegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw0b3uQ-ACXckFSlBrlcm52Y

Screenshot_20191203-061557_Chrome.jpg

Been owning vehicles since the 60s. All my vehicles during the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s never required a gasket or washer. Now I own a new Kia and new Hyundai and both need oil pan bolt washers.
Has modern technology surrounding the oil pan bolts gone suddenly backwards? Are we slowly drifting back to the Model-T? Why didn't I need a washer for 50 years and now I do?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Been owning vehicles since the 60s. All my vehicles during the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s never required a gasket or washer. Now I own a new Kia and new Hyundai and both need oil pan bolt washers.
Has modern technology surrounding the oil pan bolts gone suddenly backwards? Are we slowly drifting back to the Model-T? Why didn't I need a washer for 50 years and now I do?

I've been using washers since the 80's on various makes and models. They came with them.

My Subaru in signature used to drip with a new Subaru crush washer at each oil change interval. Went with a Fumoto Valve years ago -- not a drop/drip since.

. All my vehicles during the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s never required a gasket or washer.
Has modern technology surrounding the oil pan bolts gone suddenly backwards? ... Why didn't I need a washer for 50 years and now I do?
Because they hadn't yet thought of that trivial gimmick to increase parts-department sales? Or because careless people mangle plugs and washers, causing leaks? My OE plug washer, which Toyota claims must be replaced every time, actually works fine for multiple uses (up to 7 oil changes, so far) with no leaks. I don't abuse it.

Originally Posted by CR94
My OE plug washer, which Toyota claims must be replaced every time, actually works fine for multiple uses (up to 7 oil changes, so far) with no leaks. I don't abuse it.
I tried that with my C300 and it leaked. Instead of buying copper washers from MB at massive markup, I just buy them from
Clips and Fasteners in bulk and change them every time. Twenty washers for my Rubicon (100K miles worth of OCs) was about $20

I just purchased two magnetic oil pan bolts for my two new Korean vehicles. Both came with washers attached.

But why use those when you could just torque it down to say 250 LBS.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I just purchased two magnetic oil pan bolts for my two new Korean vehicles. Both came with washers attached.

What size dent will that make in my oil pan......lol
Maybe I should have ordered a long, deep-well 14mm socket also.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

I knew my old Bonney torque wrench was good for something other than axle nuts!
Love that thing; every tool is a hammer, right?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back