*sigh*....... mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today my fiance tells me that she wont be doing her 7.5k oci on her civic with M1 and will be cutting it short to 5k because her dad and his buddy mechanic believe that your engine has to get used to synthetic oil. What is this?!?! Is my engine a baby being switched to formula!? On top of that they both swear by 10w-30 for any application year round. Im disgusted with how much mechanics think they know about oil and shove their lies down our throats. Dads and their old school myth logic and Fram filters......

Yep i hear the same sort of thing all the time.Some owners manual from 19XX says use 15w whatever and that's gospel because its in black and white.Not a thought about the book being 30 odd yrs old.

Don't get too involved with Pa and the mechanic friend concerning the oil drain interval.allow them to drain the oil whenever they want.Keep the peace and run from that battle.

Originally Posted By: 5sfe91
Get a UOA and let the numbers do the talking

I dont think that would help since they wouldnt have a clue what they were looking at anyway...

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
So today my fiance tells me that she wont be doing her 7.5k oci on her civic with M1 and will be cutting it short to 5k because her dad and his buddy mechanic believe that your engine has to get used to synthetic oil.

You are getting married to this person and they don't trust you or think you are capable of making a competent decision? They would rather go to daddy? Sounds like an omen of things to come.

harden up mr OP. I agree with Loobed. If she pays more heed to her dad than you, I just don't know...

at least have her buy regular oil if she is only going to go 5k....show her the M1 600,000 mile video with long OCIs (13km?) that is on this site...i dont know if mechanics are lying or ignorant on oil

i though hondas were 10,000 mile ocis... some things you have to ignore in marriage, this might be one of them...not worth fighting over, clicker is though

Originally Posted By: chet2
i though hondas were 10,000 mile ocis... some things you have to ignore in marriage, this might be one of them...not worth fighting over, clicker is though

her 98 civic is a sludger. i wouldnt push it anyway.

Don't waste your time. Trust me on this, you will be arguing with brick walls. I've never once seen a mechanic or old-timer back down from their oil myth's. Ever.

Not to get off track, but what enginge is this? I was not aware of a civic sludger. I know of a few civic 1.6l of that year with well over 200k on and no sludge issues.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
harden up mr OP. I agree with Loobed. If she pays more heed to her dad than you, I just don't know...

+1

I would tell her not to come to you or ask you for anything car related then( even after you are married ). Tell her "go see your Dad". Wash your hands completely of her vehicle(s).

Originally Posted By: firefighter
Not to get off track, but what enginge is this? I was not aware of a civic sludger. I know of a few civic 1.6l of that year with well over 200k on and no sludge issues.

No such animal exists from Honda.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I would tell her not to come to you or ask you for anything car related then( even after you are married ). Tell her "go see your Dad". Wash your hands completely of her vehicle(s).

Are you married? Holding a grudge for the rest of a marriage about one OCI isn't in the happy marriage play book IMHO...
Heck they might even extend the OCI after the engine "gets used to" synthetic...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back