Sick and tired of the "listening"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never owned a cell phone and I don't know who Alexis is. :)
She was on, "Dynasty".

1687455373284.jpg

"Secure Smartphones"...... That's an oxymoron if there ever was.
This is exatly why its hard to find developers and vendors to market indepenent smartphones.
They deserve our support as informed cosumers not our ridicule.

Otherwise have fun with gmail using AI on your emails and reporting content to the "authorities"
Supposedly this has already happend in Califronia where google voluntary and unsolicited submitted gmail email traffic to CA State police for "gun laws" violations.

Read up on shutting off targeted ads on your devices. It's easy enough to do but it's hidden in menus. It can be done on Apple and Android. It hasn't happened in years to me and I don't remember exactly how I did it since these settings are also saved on your profile, so the settings should follow you device to device after that.

Most of you think that the surveillance is all about Google/YT/Apple/FB/IG/Twitter pushing ads on you.

It's not. That's how it is sold to you, camoflauged and most younger, "tech savy" people accept it. They also think they are turning off surveillance by going through some hard-to-reach menus in Settings.

Keep thinking that. Clearly, most don't get it. Like many things that have gone on since 2020, when you realize you've been on the wrong side, it will probably be too late.

Most of you think that the surveillance is all about Google/YT/Apple/FB/IG/Twitter pushing ads on you.

It's not. That's how it is sold to you, camoflauged and most younger, "tech savy" people accept it. They also think they are turning off surveillance by going through some hard-to-reach menus in Settings.

Keep thinking that. Clearly, most don't get it. Like many things that have gone on since 2020, when you realize you've been on the wrong side, it will probably be too late.
You and I both know any tech that has allowed the information and bandwidth we have is never going backwards. That's why many are developing so much security into the products to only allow people to have this information that can be trusted. The problem is once it reaches the "trusted" companies is if it is kept secure. That's the problem too which we hear of with data breaches and payment information. The only thing you can do at this point is shut off targeted ad tracking and not download stupid free apps and games. The only thing free is you not physically exchanging money at that moment for the privilege to use it.

Speaking of trusted companies, I've had my data breached 3 times over a 2 year span. I assume someone must have been using card readers on the self checkout counters because it would be easier to sneak up and place them on the machines without Walmart realizing it. I haven't shopped there in over a year unless I had to where I was at paying with cash and it hasn't happened since. This is one area where I do see tech helping us out because if I can't use Apple Pay I tend not to shop at those places. It encodes the payment process and doesn't share your card number to pay the merchant. So far I have not seen them to allow any tap to pay services.

If your phone was really spying on you...and you think that
going through some hard-to-reach menus in Settings.

isn't enough to turn it off...

...wouldn't someone have found this by now and reported it?

It is possible to see exactly what an Android phone is doing using tools well known to the tech community.

Sick and tired of listening eh?

Have been arguing with people that the things HAVE to listen...to hear Hey Siri (or whatever), it has to have heard, recorded and processed every single sound that ever went into the microphone...so of COURSE it's always listening.

Wife and I love Sunday drives, and it's amazing what shows up on youtube (usually adds) after we get back...we prove it occasionally by talking about Dr. Squatch products to see if it shows up...sure enough, they do.

I'm pretty much immune to advertising. I only buy what I need and want, based on my analysis, not easily (if ever) brainwashed by relentless ads.

Yet people, including forum members here, want MORE tech! I don't understand it. I'm actively DE-TECHING as much as I can. NO social media, other than a few forums. NOTHING streaming, no Alexis, I never download applications to my phone, I turn off phone location, nothing gets any permissions, all my cars are "dumb," etc. I'm highly contemplating just getting rid of all unnecessary nanny-state computer nonsense that enables any level of monitoring and tracking. I really hate where this has taken humanity. I want to get back to the basics.
1688631592018.jpg

Technology today has gotten to be much like sex, drugs, and alcohol. Just because some is good, it doesn't mean more is better, and too much is just enough.

People today spend too much time with their heads glaring into their machines. They are becoming detached from the human element of society. All with nowhere near the benefit they think they're getting from it. Actually it's quite the opposite.

The bulk of it is simply wasted time that is causing them to miss out on what's going on around them. I was watching a "reality show" the other day where these people paid well into 6 figures to charter a 168' mega yacht for 3 days.

In almost every scene they had their heads buried in their phones or I-Pads. They were in the most beautiful part of the Caribbean, and they didn't have a clue. Just stay home if you're that addicted.

You see it everywhere. People in stores. Walking down the sidewalk. All glaring into a little screen, looking at some meaningless "text", or else sending one. This stupidity isn't that uncommon anymore. Imagine in the next 20 years.

This is exatly why its hard to find developers and vendors to market indepenent smartphones.
They deserve our support as informed cosumers not our ridicule.

Otherwise have fun with gmail using AI on your emails and reporting content to the "authorities"
Supposedly this has already happend in Califronia where google voluntary and unsolicited submitted gmail email traffic to CA State police for "gun laws" violations.
Other than enthusiasts (like us) the public doesn’t care or care to learn how to stop the eavesdropping,
It’s just fact, if it’s free of monetary cost or low cost, like a rodent we will sell our souls.

Proton mail offers end to end encryption among users but you have to pay for anything more than their basic free account which is still good for basic users of email.

Apple devices cost more and more streamlined to stop a lot of eavesdropping (note I don’t say completely) but their system is logically laid out and simple to limit access app by app on your device.
Even then many people don’t bother but I suspect out of the population more users of their devices use that option.
By default some are already set up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back