Shying Away From Havoline 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
2,333
Location
South Carolina
Yea. And how come they can't give a real temperature? "Wind Chill", "Feels Like". When I lived in WI I didn't care about wind chill. I dressed for the weather.
 
Messages
4,911
Location
Ohio
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Yea. And how come they can't give a real temperature? "Wind Chill", "Feels Like". When I lived in WI I didn't care about wind chill. I dressed for the weather.
Because "wind chill" or "feels like" plays into their hype of making everything worse than it is.
 
Messages
6,974
Location
Wet side WA
Originally Posted by Skippy722
Over time with the Havoline ProDS 0w20 I had in my 300 it seemed to get louder. Maybe it sheared down? Maybe it was just my imagination? I have no clue, forgot to take a sample and send it in. Silent now with the Castrol.
Well I took a sample you can see a little further back it sheared down very little but then the Toyota has always been pretty easy on oil even though it is a severe service vehicle.
 
Messages
165
Location
New England
Originally Posted by Mr_Luke
It's just that I almost never listen to the radio or to music when I drive any more. I listen to the sounds the car makes.
This makes me sad. It's probably par for the course around here, though.
 
Messages
12,305
Location
OH
Originally Posted by Mr_Luke
It wasn't your imagination. It was real. Silence is golden. Noises you can't hear can't cause you to worry about your engine.
Many reports on here about Formula Shell 5w30 being of the quietest oils out there. Even compared to more expensive synthetic oils. Easily obtained from Home Depot or Menards.
 
Messages
24,257
Location
Dallas,Tx USA
Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Originally Posted by Mr_Luke
It wasn't your imagination. It was real. Silence is golden. Noises you can't hear can't cause you to worry about your engine.
Many reports on here about Formula Shell 5w30 being of the quietest oils out there. Even compared to more expensive synthetic oils. Easily obtained from Home Depot or Menards.
Yep definitely! Formula Shell,Pennzoil,and Quaker State are legendary for running smooth and quiet.
 
Messages
10,835
Location
Cincinnati, OH, USA
I think some newer Ford engines are just noisy in general-the 3.7 in my Transit 250 makes some pretty bad high RPM rod chatter sounds (at 45K now), the ‘15 Transit 3.7 never made them in 90K miles. Might have something to do with why the company has had 2 bad engines on others in under 100K. Interestingly, I topped it off once with a quart of PYB 10W40, noises got a lot quieter. Go CAFE! crazy
 
FWIW - I switched to the Pro DS 0w20 for our 2010 Prius this summer. And I would have to agree that the 1.8 engine does seem a bit noisier. In years past, I use Pennzoil and Smitty's Super S5w20 and 0w20...with much less noise. GL
 
Last edited:
Messages
2,696
Location
San Rafael, CA
Originally Posted by Mr_Luke
Originally Posted by dogememe
Didn't have any trouble when using Havoline in the past in various vehicles back when it was on clearance at O'Reilly. However, when I put Pennzoil in a 1983 Chevy truck that I bought for $700 that had been sitting in a field for 15 years I did hear some engine noise so Pennzoil must be a terrible oil. ...‚
My car didn't sit in a field for 15 years, or is it a 36 year old Chevy truck. LOL You're comparing apples to oranges. Some of you people have a low tolerance for people who have experiences other than the experiences you had yourself.
I totally wasn't trying to be rude... just poking fun, because every single "ABC oil makes more/less noise in my XYZ car" thread on here sort of goes down the same path of a bunch of people saying things like "that's impossible" "I didn't have the same experience" "I had the exact same experience" just a bunch of anecdotal evidence. I myself made a thread recently that Castrol Magnatec (an oil many people on here consider "quiet") did NOT make my 2010 Ford Escape 2.5 which has a rather noisy engine any quieter. That doesn't mean my engine is going to blow up... I've owned this car for about 2 years and do about 30K miles/year and it's sounded exactly the same the whole time. Off the top of my head in this Ford I have run Motorcraft Syn Blend 5W-20, Valvoline Synthetic 5W-30, Royal Purple Synthetic 5W-30, Castrol Edge Extended Performance Synthetic 5W-30, Valvoline Conventional 5W-20, Castrol Magnatec Synthetic 5W-20... I did find the Motorcraft oil that was in it when I bought it used from the Ford dealer to be noisy but honestly it totally could have been a placebo effect that when I changed it to something else, it got quieter. I didn't sit here with a professional grade dB Meter and test the noise.
 
Last edited:
Messages
6,974
Location
Wet side WA
Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by Mr_Luke
Originally Posted by dogememe
Didn't have any trouble when using Havoline in the past in various vehicles back when it was on clearance at O'Reilly. However, when I put Pennzoil in a 1983 Chevy truck that I bought for $700 that had been sitting in a field for 15 years I did hear some engine noise so Pennzoil must be a terrible oil. ...‚
My car didn't sit in a field for 15 years, or is it a 36 year old Chevy truck. LOL You're comparing apples to oranges. Some of you people have a low tolerance for people who have experiences other than the experiences you had yourself.
I totally wasn't trying to be rude... just poking fun, because every single "ABC oil makes more/less noise in my XYZ car" thread on here sort of goes down the same path of a bunch of people saying things like "that's impossible" "I didn't have the same experience" "I had the exact same experience" just a bunch of anecdotal evidence. I myself made a thread recently that Castrol Magnatec (an oil many people on here consider "quiet") did NOT make my 2010 Ford Escape 2.5 which has a rather noisy engine any quieter. That doesn't mean my engine is going to blow up... I've owned this car for about 2 years and do about 30K miles/year and it's sounded exactly the same the whole time. Off the top of my head in this Ford I have run Motorcraft Syn Blend 5W-20, Valvoline Synthetic 5W-30, Royal Purple Synthetic 5W-30, Castrol Edge Extended Performance Synthetic 5W-30, Valvoline Conventional 5W-20, Castrol Magnatec Synthetic 5W-20... I did find the Motorcraft oil that was in it when I bought it used from the Ford dealer to be noisy but honestly it totally could have been a placebo effect that when I changed it to something else, it got quieter. I didn't sit here with a professional grade dB Meter and test the noise.
Your post makes so much sense its scary to hear for some on BITOG!
 

Mr_Luke

Thread starter
Messages
542
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Yep definitely! Formula Shell,Pennzoil,and Quaker State are legendary for running smooth and quiet.
Glad to hear it. In that case I might as well run the QS conv 5w20 oil in the 5 qt jug I got at Walmart yesterday. I swapped it for a 6 qt box of Havoline 5w20 I had bought a few weeks back. QS does a great job in NYC cabs and I'm sure, cabs in many other places. The local Hyundai dealer uses QS SB in their oil changes and Hyundai and Kia both highly recommend QS and I think the new cars all come filled with QS. That speaks real well of QS. I had an Elantra a while back. I loved the car but wanted something a bit smaller and a bit more economical so I got the Fiesta. So I'll give QS a try and if I like it I'll save a few bucks. With the previous 2 OCIs I did with the Fiesta, they were more or less OCD OCIs. The engine ran quiet, I just "wanted to do an OCI to get that slippery feel of brand new oil when I first start it up".
 
Messages
4,030
Location
WA
Originally Posted by montero1
Originally Posted by MetalSlug
I ran halvoline on everything I own or family own since they switch to 6 qt box . Solid oil I even ran on my high performing super charger cobra . I wish our local Walmart Texas here having the oil on the shelves . Have to order Walmart online
That's a good thing. Going in to a Walmart isn't always pleasant.
...‚.. right! Being able to get it via .com is one of the selling points of getting it from Wally's for me at least.
 

Mr_Luke

Thread starter
Messages
542
I just realized yesterday on my 4 mile brisk walk that this oil is causing the rattling I've been hearing. It seemed fine when it was fresh oil, (quiet like it should be).
 
Messages
12,305
Location
OH
Originally Posted by dogememe
Off the top of my head in this Ford I have run Motorcraft Syn Blend 5W-20, Valvoline Synthetic 5W-30, Royal Purple Synthetic 5W-30, Castrol Edge Extended Performance Synthetic 5W-30, Valvoline Conventional 5W-20, Castrol Magnatec Synthetic 5W-20... I did find the Motorcraft oil that was in it when I bought it used from the Ford dealer to be noisy but honestly it totally could have been a placebo effect that when I changed it to something else, it got quieter. I didn't sit here with a professional grade dB Meter and test the noise.
I noticed the 5w30 MC syn-blend much quieter than the 5w20 version. Being used in the 05 Matrix 1.8 engine.
 
Messages
17,012
Location
Upper Midwest
Originally Posted by Mr_Luke
I just realized yesterday on my 4 mile brisk walk that this oil is causing the rattling I've been hearing. It seemed fine when it was fresh oil, (quiet like it should be).
What?
 
Messages
1,703
Location
TX, USA
To test your hypothesis, you can just dump the oil and replace it with anything other than the same oil. aka doing an oil change. See how it goes. If the rattle still there, then the oil is not the issue, may be engine. If the rattle goes away, then the oil is the issue. Of course, you probably have to drive it after the oil change before rattle comes back. Some oil just don't agree with certain engine, that is ok.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top