Shying Away From Havoline 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran halvoline on everything I own or family own since they switch to 6 qt box . Solid oil

I even ran on my high performing super charger cobra .

I wish our local Walmart Texas here having the oil on the shelves . Have to order Walmart online

Originally Posted by MetalSlug
I ran halvoline on everything I own or family own since they switch to 6 qt box . Solid oil

I wish our local Walmart Texas here having the oil on the shelves . Have to order Walmart online

That's a good thing. Going in to a Walmart isn't always pleasant.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Mr_Luke
Originally Posted by Red91
What?

Why do you say "what"?

Because you are talking nonsense.

No, I am not talking nonsense. The noise I hear from my engine is from this oil and no other reason. If some of you don't seem to hear it in your engines from using this oil, that's one thing, but that doesn't mean some of us don't. Or perhaps you'd rather listen to music or the radio and not pay attention to noises coming from your engine, or go by the UOA instead. You don't drive a car like mine, is another thing. So you trying to judge me, based on the type of vehicle YOU drive, is what''s really nonsense. Your vehicle engine may not make these noises with Havoline oil, but mine does and I dam well am not imagining it now and wasn't 30 years ago in my other cars and motorcycles.

I'll never run Havoline oil again, no matter what they package their oil in or what the price of it is. I was attracted to it by the eco friendly plastic bag inside the cardboard box. Perhaps they were trying to do something to increase their sales but it's not an oil I'm going to run again. It's not nonsense, it's FACT.
That's what I get for coming here and obsessing about motor oil in the first place.

Originally Posted by John_Conrad
Originally Posted by Red91
What?

u forgot the "your kidding me, right?

I'm not kidding and I don't use sarcasm. And BTW, it's "you're", not "your".

Originally Posted by PimTac
I have had no problems with Pro DS 0w20. No noises at all. The engine runs quiet and smooth. Fuel economy is excellent.

I think that Ford is ready to let go.

I believe you that the oil is working good for you, but I won't insult you because that wasn't the result I got from this oil.

My Ford is ready to let go? What would make you come to a conclusion like that?
I'm willing to bet, my Ford Fiesta will serve me well and be around for a long time.

Originally Posted by dogememe
Didn't have any trouble when using Havoline in the past in various vehicles back when it was on clearance at O'Reilly.

However, when I put Pennzoil in a 1983 Chevy truck that I bought for $700 that had been sitting in a field for 15 years I did hear some engine noise so Pennzoil must be a terrible oil. ...‚

My car didn't sit in a field for 15 years, or is it a 36 year old Chevy truck.
lol.gif
You're comparing apples to oranges.

Some of you people have a low tolerance for people who have experiences other than the experiences you had yourself.

Originally Posted by geeman789

I could try 5w30 but that would be going against what Ford recommends for my car so instead I will switch brands ...

Good plan. A different car will solve the problem for sure ... LOL. Oh, that's NOT what you meant ?

It's the CAR, not the OIL.

Of course it isn't. I will switch oils and my Ford will purr like a kitten.
My hunches are right on. I'd bet on it.

Originally Posted by montero1

These days you can order online and they will bring it out to your vehicle in the parking lot.
I've never done it and I doubt I ever will. I don't even have a cell phone to call them when I arrive there.

These days you can order online and they will bring it out to your vehicle in the parking lot.
I've never done it and I doubt I ever will. I don't even have a cell phone to call them when I arrive there.

Why not just have it shipped right to your front door? You don't even have to look at anybody.

Why not just have it shipped right to your front door? You don't even have to look at anybody.

That would be good if the shipping was free and they'd ship it to my PO box.
I have things I buy on eBay and amazon shipped there all the time but I've never had oil shipped to me.
I like to walk a lot, so it's exercise for me.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Over time with the Havoline ProDS 0w20 I had in my 300 it seemed to get louder. Maybe it sheared down? Maybe it was just my imagination? I have no clue, forgot to take a sample and send it in. Silent now with the Castrol.

It wasn't your imagination. It was real. Silence is golden. Noises you can't hear can't cause you to worry about your engine.

There could be another factor in the equation. Your oil filter. There are more threads on here about oil filters causing noises than oils.

And your area could have switched to winter blend gas... which may cause some more noisiness.

Since you mention Ford Fiesta I will share my experience. My daughter has a Fiesta and is a staunch Mobil1 user. This past Summer I, finally, convinced her to try ST 5w-20 synthetic. After a couple of months of use I asked her what she thought about the oil. She said the engine is smoother, quieter, a slight hit in MPG and she's saving $10 an oil change (she does her own maintenance). She only uses Motorcraft oil filters if that is significant. After 40 years of a M1 user myself, these were the same reasons I'm staying with ST syn (although I'm actually getting better MPG with the ST).

Havoline DS 5w-30 in my wife's GMC. No different than anything else.

I appreciate it that you spoke of your experience with this oil without insulting me.
I'm glad it's working out for you.

Perhaps 5w30 Pro DS or conv Havoline would work good for me but I don't plan to go that route.
I don't even want to gamble on ST or QS any more. I'm going for Valvoline, Castrol, or PZ conv or SB.
I'm not going to fret about saving a few bucks a year on oil brands for my 2 OCIs a year.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
There could be another factor in the equation. Your oil filter. There are more threads on here about oil filters causing noises than oils.

And your area could have switched to winter blend gas... which may cause some more noisiness.

My Hyundai Accent had a similar noise from the engine which I then attributed to the oil, then the oil filter, and after swapping both of them a few times, realized it was spark plug knock, which improved some by using 93 octane gas.

It's nonsense that is the only fact you have posted on this thread regarding Havoline.

When Valvoline uses Chevron baseoils and additives to make their product or when Havoline and Valvoline are using the same suppliers you won't state "fact" about noise because you will be none the wiser.

Some of you people have a low tolerance for people who have experiences other than the experiences you had yourself.

Welcome to BITOG where everyone is an expert on anything they speak about. Just ask 'em, they'll tell you....

Back from Scottsdale, AZ just in time for the Arctic blast
frown.gif

I have never liked ANY Chevron products I've used.

Tried some Delo 400 in the subaru EJ253; No Good.

Tried some DS on sale at VIP a few years ago (now O'Reilly)

Disliked it.

So I don';t understand the recent fascination here with this product.

Havoline was a great product decades ago. Smooth like SM Formula Shell.

New engines require real majority PAO synthetic - or better !

I just ordered some MOTUL specific VW 508.00/509.00 to replace the "just changed" oil in my Jetta as the
Castrol Professional isn't cutting it, and it is not the equal of the factory fill.

Will report on the MOTUL. I try to be an unbiased observer - as far as engine feel goes - so if the MOTUL doesnt help then I'll report that.

Last edited:
Arctic Blast. ...‚...‚

It used to be called winter. Happened every year. Now they have to call it something else to get everyone all tizzied up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
Arctic Blast. ...‚...‚

It used to be called winter. Happened every year. Now they have to call it something else to get everyone all tizzied up.

LOL yes its like everything on the Tube they have to sensationalize it because it all about ratings and how much you can charge for your advertising. It has nothing to do with the reality of life anymore. One of the reasons I hardly turn the tube on anymore little more than a source of lies and mis/dis information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back