Showing off my Crown Vic

It actually gets worse mileage than the truck did. I'm getting 15 around town and 20 on the highway. Truck regularly got almost 20 city and 24 or more highway.

And there's no way I'd get rid of this car and buy a regular Crown Vic. LOL. Kinda counterproductive in my eyes. Too many things I like about this car to start over with an unknown Crown Vic with less performance and possible problems, though more comfortable.

No matter what I also buy. This car is stayingI

It actually gets worse mileage than the truck did. I'm getting 15 around town and 20 on the highway. Truck regularly got almost 20 city and 24 or more highway.

And there's no way I'd get rid of this car and buy a regular Crown Vic. LOL. Kinda counterproductive in my eyes. Too many things I like about this car to start over with an unknown Crown Vic with less performance and possible problems, though more comfortable.

No matter what I also buy. This car is staying.

I know it seems crazy, but the truck was bigger, faster, more capable, and more comfortable than the Crown Vic. But it lacked the character. And the cost for how much I used it just didn't make sense.
Understand. I was thinking about when you are through with this ride, or, for others. Surprised it doesn't ride better than "a truck" . Guess it's got a stiffened ride and handling suspension.

Understand. I was thinking about when you are through with this ride, or, for others. Surprised it doesn't ride better than "a truck" . Guess it's got a stiffened ride and handling suspension.
Yea that Crown vic does have a stiff suspension vs the normal ones. New trucks are like big luxury cars these days.

Oh, indeed there is a great deal of life remaining in the CV especially in police spec. IDK what a manufacture does differently in police spec'd vehicles that make them different over the pedestrian version. Does anyone know? :)
Heavy duty springs/suspension. Probably bigger anti roll bars and bracing. Cops gotta chase down some crazy runners.

In the 03 MY they were given a knock sensor. That drove up the power a little bit more because they can be a bit more agressive with ignition timing. The 01 cars got a bump in power from the PI heads, but the 01-11 engines are internally the same.

I'm guessing you haven't been in a modern half-ton pick up in the last three to four years.....

I think the Crown Vic is a neat car. It's the right combination of utility, performance, price and must be a great highway cruiser. The trunk was huge too. Take the back seat out if you need pickup utility without the pickup price.

All this Crown Victoria talk makes me want to buy one before they go extinct..

I think the Crown Vic is a neat car. It's the right combination of utility, performance, price and must be a great highway cruiser. The trunk was huge too. Take the back seat out if you need pickup utility without the pickup price.

All this Crown Victoria talk makes me want to buy one before they go extinct..
That's why they are the pinnacle of automotive ownership. There hasn't been ANYTHING MADE almost the last twenty years that is better. I know because I have read it on here. And they are less than $9,000.00

That's why they are the pinnacle of automotive ownership. There hasn't been ANYTHING MADE almost the last twenty years that is better. I know because I have read it on here. And they are less than $9,000.00
That would be a great quote for me to put in my signature :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just kidding

I have it in my head that people buy these cars to pretend to be cops and get that reaction out of people-- many do and equip them with light bars or leave the stupid floodlight things on the side mirrors to imitate a cop car. I make it a point to drive like I usually do, not slow down if I'm speeding, sometimes speed past them for no reason, just to make the point that they're nobody special.

10 years ago that would have been the prime undercover car to look out for, but these days, folks with the intention of imitating cops are just fooling themselves. Around here all the Crown Vics have been relegated to transport duty for meter maids, mall cops, or sold off second hand. If I do see one that's a legitimate police vehicle, it's on the side of the road unoccupied with lights flashing in a construction zone only because they had no other vehicle available.
90% of the time people who drive crown vics nowadays do because they "want to look like the cops".

I had a loaded Grand Marquis flex fuel. Liked it a lot, averaged about 14.5mpg in mixed driving. No problems with it, sold it for more than I paid for it after driving it for a few years.
I wonder what rear end ratio you had. That mileage is terrible. I average around 20 mpg with mixed driving ..

90% of the time people who drive crown vics nowadays do because they "want to look like the cops".
In my area these haven't been cop cars for almost 10 years. They've had Tahoes and Explorers and Silverados. With that same assumption everyone around here driving Tahoes and Explorers and regular Chevy pickups are doing the same. Now that's a whole lotta wannabe cops there.

But that's different, right?

In my area these haven't been cop cars for almost 10 years. They've had Tahoes and Explorers and Silverados. With that same assumption everyone around here driving Tahoes and Explorers and regular Chevy pickups are doing the same. Now that's a whole lotta wannabe cops there.

But that's different, right?
Our local police have F-150s but they are a small department. Our highway patrol are Dodge Chargers. Salt Lake Police/Highway Patrol have so many different manufacturers pursuit vehicles that they use for under cover that are different -some you can never determine by looking in your review mirror. For example-my son who works in Parole currently has a Subaru Legacy issued by the state.

Our local police have F-150s but they are a small department. Our highway patrol are Dodge Chargers. Salt Lake Police/Highway Patrol have so many different manufacturers pursuit vehicles that they use for under cover that are different -some you can never determine by looking in your review mirror. For example-my son who works in Parole currently has a Subaru Legacy issued by the state.
It's weird that we used to have tons of Chargers, but they only lasted a couple years. Then it went straight to Tahoes. Now there are a couple Explorers sprinkled in. The county is half Tahoe half Silverado. All their Explorers are parked waiting for auction. Lately 75% of the state troopers over here are Tahoe also with the others driving Explorers. I'm sure there are a few makes and models being used here and there but the Chevy Tahoe has really started taking over in east Texas.

It's weird that we used to have tons of Chargers, but they only lasted a couple years. Then it went straight to Tahoes. Now there are a couple Explorers sprinkled in. The county is half Tahoe half Silverado. All their Explorers are parked waiting for auction. Lately 75% of the state troopers over here are Tahoe also with the others driving Explorers. I'm sure there are a few makes and models being used here and there but the Chevy Tahoe has really started taking over in east Texas.
I keep hearing about Chargers not lasting under severe conditions. However, Utah has been using them consistently and reordering them. The state is known for being one of the best run in the country-with a big state surplus. SO-they watch things like that. It seems that they head to the state auction at about 150,000 miles.

I'm guessing you haven't been in a modern half-ton pick up in the last three to four years.....
Lol. 'm guessing you haven't been in a modern half-ton pick up in the last three to four years.....
I agree they ride much better than previously. I like Pickups, just don't want to wheel one around in the city. You're out there in the wide open spaces of Utah. Different driving applications.

Reactions: CKN
What I have to ask, is do these police departments really need full size trucks and SUVs? Sure some of them, but what good does one do in the city that a Charger cannot do? I remember back in the mid to late 2000's police departments where I lived were switching to Chevy Impalas left and right when gas was getting very close to $4.00 a gallon. I feel like my tax dollars would be better spent on something more economical (and likely faster in pursuit) than a loaded-to-the-gills Explorer or Tahoe. That's all I see around here is SUVs. If large sedans worked as well as they did back in the day, what has changed, other than higher taxes and perhaps better economic conditions?

Oh, indeed there is a great deal of life remaining in the CV especially in police spec. IDK what a manufacture does differently in police spec'd vehicles that make them different over the pedestrian version. Does anyone know? :)

Depends on model:
Mainly upgraded electricals and cooling (radiator, oil, transmission, power steering). Little stiffer suspension, taller springs in rear (for a trunk full of equipment). Raised speed limiters (although some of the Dodges are actually lower than the civilian Charger R/T). Little shorter rear axle gearing sometimes to improve 0-100 mph performance.

Sometimes additional windage trays in oil pan and anti slosh baffles in fuel tank.

The later CV had a Marauder air box that added a little horsepower over the Civilian model.

100% of retired Police Utility are purchased with malicious intent, as are the vast majority of Tahoe PPV. these are bar none the best choices for pretending to be a cop

Caprice PPVs and ecoboost ford interceptors are a different story.

Last edited:
Back