Anyone with thoughts on the FPIS/ Taurus interceptor?

ALL the V6 engines have the internal time bomb water pump, 3.5, 3.5T, and 3.7, they all do it, and that's in addition to all the other transverse V6 issues.

This would be the best version to get. Always opt for the 4-cylinder when it's that or a V6.

Ford called this 2.0T version the Special Service Police Sedan.

the police parts are probably interchangeable with the civilian car. You can definitely swap the wheels :unsure:
Not planning to get an AWD Taurus at this point.

I'm thinking of a 3.5 NA FWD. That would eliminate any issues with a PTU, rear diff, etc.

In regards to the 2.0T FWD, would that have a longer life than the 3.5NA being such a small engine with a turbo? FWD I4 2.0 T vs FWD 3.5 NA

Last edited:

I'm thinking of a 3.5 NA FWD. That would eliminate any issues with a PTU, rear diff, etc.

In regards to the 2.0T FWD, would that have a longer life than the 3.5NA being such a small engine with a turbo? FWD I4 2.0 T vs FWD 3.5 NA
The 2.0 T would not have the issue of having the water pump inside the timing cover. But you have to balance that with the reliability issues of the 2.0 Ecoboost - some model years are great, others with the open deck blocks have problems with cracking inbetween the cylinders. If you could for sure get the closed deck 2.0 block, that would be the way to go. But I don't know which years the Taurus PI had the 2.0.

but not the water pump :sneaky:

Depends on your driving conditions. If you have reasonably long trips where the engine actually warms up, then the 2.0T will be the better choice. But if it's mostly short trips, or you drive it like you're on a police chase all the time, then you'll have problems.

And keep in mind that the 2.0T is MUCH easier to work on, so that'll also make it last longer :D

but not the water pump :sneaky:

Depends on your driving conditions. If you have reasonably long trips where the engine actually warms up, then the 2.0T will be the better choice. But if it's mostly short trips, or you drive it like you're on a police chase all the time, then you'll have problems.

And keep in mind that the 2.0T is MUCH easier to work on, so that'll also make it last longer :D
Good to know. I usually do 10-15 miles one-way commuting on the highway to work, but I'd really like something with guts and passing power.

I have a 1.5L NA Yaris that I inherited which is abysmally under-powered when it comes to passing people at highway speeds. It cruises at 85mph no problem but overtaking somebody requires momentum and planning, lol.

I did own a Crown Vic for several years as my main car which I felt had noticeably more "oomph" in the passing department, but not that fast being a 4500lb car with a 250hp engine and weak top overdrive/4th gear. I see the Taurus 2.0T as having the same issue of being a 4500lb car with 240hp engine.

Maybe I ought to stick with Crown Vics.... lol

Good to know. I usually do 10-15 miles one-way commuting on the highway to work, but I'd really like something with guts and passing power.

I have a 1.5L NA Yaris that I inherited which is abysmally under-powered when it comes to passing people at highway speeds. It cruises at 85mph no problem but overtaking somebody requires momentum and planning, lol.

I did own a Crown Vic for several years as my main car which I felt had noticeably more "oomph" in the passing department, but not that fast being a 4500lb car with a 250hp engine and weak top overdrive/4th gear. I see the Taurus 2.0T as having the same issue of being a 4500lb car with 240hp engine.

Maybe I ought to stick with Crown Vics.... lol

Your 10-15 mile commute is no problem for the 2.0T :)

The turbo should help with the low-end and passing. And the transmission has more gears than the 4 you have in a Yaris or Panther.

The rumor I hear is that when they take the electronics out, they "zap" the LEDs so that people cannot re-commission them.
One thing I noticed looking into a vehicle that was previously a police car, is that sometimes the departments or services that remove the lights, sirens, and other electronics appear to do a sketchy job. Ripping stuff out, simply snipping wires, etc. I've seen a few for sale even from "professional specialty pre-owned government vehicle" dealers that have a rat's nest ball of wires and harnesses just sitting where the console used to be.

I hope some of these dealers make sure there aren't any issues that FUBARs the electrical systems on modern highly computerized cars.

Crown Vics aren't of as much concern since they are bare bones compared to late-model cars.

Had the opportunity to drive a few that we worked on the AWD ones were extremely fun to get in and flog police style

More fun than a CV but not as much as a Caprice PPV

One thing I noticed looking into a vehicle that was previously a police car, is that sometimes the departments or services that remove the lights, sirens, and other electronics appear to do a sketchy job. Ripping stuff out, simply snipping wires, etc. I've seen a few for sale even from "professional specialty pre-owned government vehicle" dealers that have a rat's nest ball of wires and harnesses just sitting where the console used to be.

I hope some of these dealers make sure there aren't any issues that FUBARs the electrical systems on modern highly computerized cars.

Crown Vics aren't of as much concern since they are bare bones compared to late-model cars.
Very much so on those I’ve picked up, Ford and Dodge.

I added a back up camera to my Charger (along with navigation, satellite, Bluetooth, etc.) and the wires under the console and to the dash were cut and not sealed. I was able to tap a key-switched power lead for the camera, but I sealed the ends of the live wires under the console to prevent shorting. Not well done for sure. 😐

Back