Should I use a Fram Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Transmission, not engine oil.

The Saturn takes an external transmission spin-on filter, part #6646, to be exact.

Fram's Transmission Filter is $5.88 and is known to not leak, compared to the other offerings from Wix, etc which have had leaks reported.

Should I just use the Fram or cough up the extra $7 for the OE part?

Friends don't let friends use Fram.

Go ahead, Michael! You're good to go!! Fram all the way, baby!

lol.gif
grin.gif

Any filter can have problems ..at any time. Are these Wix leakage reports numerous ..or spotty
confused.gif

I actually like FRAM filters for other applications. And I never didn't like their oil filters with the exception of their bad reputation and their high cost for what your getting especially after I cut one open and saw what it looked like.

The OEM trans filter was made by FRAM last time I bought one for my 96SL1...

By the way, if you can afford the Synth M1 fluid for it, it kept the bodyvalve problem (the famous reverse delay/bang shift) from returning on this car.

I got mine repared at 40 kmiles (the car had only 2yrs old)... and symptoms were beginning to come back at 60 kmiles until the switch to synth. I sold the car at 110kmiles and the trans was still running OK

I've cut open fram filter. They have the appearance of cheapness, but I saw nothing that would prevent me from buying one. If your going to buy other parts for the car, I would get whatever the store carries.

I'm amazed Saturn actually thought of an external spin-on filter, period. Great idea. No filter recommendation as I don't know anything about them.

The "donut" magnet if your car still has one, does not work properly with Frams. The holes on the Saturn brand filter are further apart from the center so the magnet doesn't disrupt the flow. Amazingly enough, while I was getting some parts from Rock Auto, I ordered an AC Delco brand filter; those holes are incorrect also.
Hard to fiqure, I thought they are part of the same parent company?

I used to be very afraid of Fram products...

1) look how many retail outlets carry them; very wide market distribution

2) any oil change shop that "features" Pennzoil filters...guess what?...they are made by Fram

3) if there were any true problems with them...they would not be allowed to state that automotive warranties can be kept in effect when using them and they certainly wouldn't have the market share that they have

Fram filters are fine to use!
itschy.gif

quote:

Originally posted by FleetFilter.com:
Try us for the NG/WIX filters. We will be one of the best prices that you can find.
Bryan

There've been reports of fitment issues (center tube magnet) and leaks with Wix filters on Saturn TAAT units.

I've been told that anything besides OE can have fitment issues. However, I have not used an OE filter on my '95 SL1 since the Saturn retailer performed the transmission service over 50k ago. Since then I have used a Fram with Pennzoil DexIII ATF and this summer, a Purolator with Mobil1 ATF. Neither had/have leak issues, but the OE filter did. You cannot use the magnet with anything but OE, but its not needed. I do find the Mobil1 ATF to be great stuff, even improving fuel econ slightly.

I just ordered an OE spin-on today. $13 something.

On the other hand, I ordered a Fram AirHog for a ridiculously low price.

laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back