Should I toss the Fram Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New member here, great board loaded with info.

I thought I was a car fanatic until I found this board. I run Mobil 1 in an 88 E-150, oil is changed at 2,500 mile intervals, along with the filter. I have no ticks, taps, or any sounds for that matter.

I also use an inverse oiler, and a pre-luber. I have 62,000 Miles on this van and it doesn't leak or burn a drop of oil.

I have been using Fram filters since day 1.

After reading thru several posts, I got sick to my stomach, and will never use them again! I am hoping the parts store will swap them out for me for another brand.

Thanks
Frank D

welcome.gif
to BITOG, & happy Independence Day!
patriot.gif

I suspect many loyal Fram users have similar reactions when they come to BITOG. I know I did. Yeah, I would take those Frams back & see if the parts store will exchange them for Motorcraft filters.

For about the same cost as Fram, Motorcraft makes a much better filter, designed specifically for your van. I've cut open a few Motorcraft filters & they are built like a tank. You can't go wrong with MC filters.

If, for whatever reason, MC filters are not an option for you, Wix, Purolator & Napa Gold would be great alternatives.

EDIT: I just re-read & saw that you only rack up 2500 miles in one year. I agree with changing oil yearly on an infrequently driven van.

Wow seems like overkill, except for the filter. Why all the fancy stuff for a vehicle that only gets 2500 miles per year?

Welcome,
-T

Another vote for using them. Like many other here, I was sick when I cut open a Fram that I had been using. I didn't have this board then and was struggling with what to use in place of the AC 1177 nobody stocked.

Between their vast DIY market and wide Iffy Lube sales, if they were as bad as they look, there wouldn't near as many cars and trucks pushing 200K.

Go thou therefore and sin no more.

So you never had a problem..no noises, no problems..and after reading this forum, you suddenly get a case of buyers remorse...lol

If you don't have a problem, maybe..just maybe..Fram's work for you.

Yes there are other options, some near the same price, others more expensive. But with only driving 2,500 miles a year..maybe Frams are "good enough". You could cut your next one open and have a look. Or not worry about it and go about your daily life..
grin.gif

Kinda like drinking a lot of milk and being told milk causes cancer..so now what do you do?

Of course the lab rats that got cancer from milk drank the equivalent of 10 gallons a day..but they didn't tell you that up front..
wink.gif

I agree with Filter Guy. You have been using them all along without any problems so keep using them. Millions of people are using them across the country and I don't see broken motors littering the road. Use what you have on hand and then you can switch to another brand when you use up your stock. Do what I did. Cut a used one open and see for yourself.

I always changed oil every 2,000 miles for about 30 years now, thats how I did it, that's what I was told to do in HS auto shop. When I made the switch to Mobil 1 I let it stay the extra 500 miles. This van isn't driven much so 2,500 miles is about 1 years worth of driving give or take.

Frank D

Thanks for the welcome!

quote:

T-Keith
Member # 3215 posted July 04, 2005 12:20 AM
--------------------------------------------------
Wow seems like overkill, except for the filter. Why all the fancy stuff for a vehicle that only gets 2500 miles per year?

Welcome,
-T

Thanks for the welcome, and all the replies.

I, like many of you bought this vehicle to last, and last. I am the original owner, and did some customizing to it, and never really drove it a lot, it's my toy. I took it on trips and ran it around town, and then it would sit in the garage for long periods of time.

I drove it about 8,000 miles before I switched to the Mobil 1. I installed the pre-luber, and inverse oiler because the van did sit for long periods of time in the garage without being started.

I figured the inverse oiler would leave a nice coat of oil inside the cylinders (these things work great). I used one on a work van for years, and that van ran like a top.

The pre-luber is used with a toggle switch, before the van is ever started I flip the switch and pressurize the system with oil, it is never dry started. I push about 30-40 psi of oil before I ever turn the key. Overkill yes, but that's just me.
smile.gif

Now stupid things, like the A/C, and a stalling problem needed some fixing. I am working thru these things a little at a time. I really enjoy this van!

Thanks again,
Frank D

2500 mile OCI's with M1....

Preoilers.....

Sounds like you van is a poster child for clean healthy engines.

What is inverse oiler. That's new to me.

When your Frams run out, pick up some Ford MotorCraft filters. Good stuff, I use them.

WELCOME!!!

quote:

Islandvic: What is inverse oiler. That's new to me.

An inverse oiler, is a container that holds Marvel Mystery Oil. It has a knob on top that sets up a flow rate drips per minute (dpm). Oil is drawn into the vacuum hose that is connected to the PCV valve.

At idle you set up a drip rate, about 15-20(dpm)is what you want. When vacuum drops, engine under load and working, the dpm increases. If you race the engine the dpm does not increase, it only increases when the engine is working.

It oils the upper cylinder walls, and protects the top half of the motor. It also keeps things clean, really clean,(Valves and injectors, or carburetors.) Its been years since I installed it, and I hope I explained it correctly.

Frank D

welcome.gif

I used to use Frams almost exclusively.

As far as I know,they never caused any problems.

I changed my oil on the 3month/3K OCI while using them.

One car had I think 162 or 164,000+ miles on it when I stopped driving it.

I think that you can get a better filter for less money.

Purolator,Advance Auto's Totol Grip(made by Purolator)seem to be very good filters.

I have cut open a Purolator and a Total Grip,they both had metal endcaps and a good amount of filter material.

The filter material was glued well to the endcaps.

The ADBV(Anti-Drain Back Valve)in the Purolator was still very soft.I cant remember about the Total Grip,it has been a while since I cut it open.

The Total Grip's can may have been a little less robust compared to the Purolator but unless you have a high horsepower engine,that should not be a problem.

They seemed to be very well made and had held up well during their time on the car.

At one time I would have recommended a Champ made filter but they seem to have been having some design/construction problems.

The older models of Super Tech,STP,ValueCraft(Autozone brand)and several others may be OK.

If possible,you may want to avoid the 'Clicker By-Pass Valve' models of Champ filters.They seem to have had some problems.

I dont know if your van calls for a by-pass or not,if it does,you might should avoid a Champ with the clicker.

I am also leary of the new E-core design and am uncomfortable about using one.

The endcaps are a type of filter material that is held in place by Thermal Bonding.

No glue is used in this process.

Some on the board have found the end cap material pulls away very easily from the actual filtering.

I think some have even found 'holes' between the two.

I have used ST several times in the past but they were the old metal end cap versions.Those that are made with the metal endcaps seem to have done fine.The ones I cut open seem to have been constructed very well.

The ADBV's were still quite soft and the filter material had held up well.

The material seemed to be glued well to the end caps.

I would probably still use the older ST's but the E-Core has taken over the part I would use.

If you want to spend a little more money,you could get a WIX,from the reports on the board,they are a good filter.

NAPA has WIX made filters,the NAPA Gold seems to be the one that some think is best.

I have used the NAPA Gold but it was several years ago.It seemd to do fine.

You may want to stick with the Fram but you can get a better filter for less.

Just use up the Frams then switch if you want later, frams aren't the greatest but the reality is they work, and most people on your block probably have one on their cars (or a pennzoil filter, sam difference).

I got a Fram filter when I took advantage of the "5 qts MC 5000 and a Fram filter for $10" deal at AZ this weekend.
I figure for the 1500 mile rinse phase, the Fram should work fine.

After re-reading this thread, I've had a change of heart. For you guys running 1500-3000 miles, I don't see any problem with the Frams. They should do the job just fine. I'll assume we're discussing Fram Extra Guards. If we're talking Tough Guards, they're a little better. X2 (Extended Guard)
The only problem I have with Fram Extra Guards & short OCI's is that for the same price as a Fram, the original poster could get a much better Motorcraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back