Should I switch to Amsoil HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a 9200 mile run with ASL on the 4runner, and it didn't turn out too great. The K&N air filter contributed to hi SI & low TBN, as well as too many city miles. TBN came back at 1.88.

You folks on this forum claimed the UOA wasn't too bad, but i want a little more margin of safety at the end of the year run.
I was however, running one OEM Toyota oil filter the entire run.

Will HDD possibly offer that 'margin of safety', or should i look at other possibilities first?

What other improvements could i see with HDD, if any?

The numbers are very close to ASL, with a few differences.

KV@100 IS 1.1 higher with HDD.
KV@40 IS 7.1 higher with HDD.
HTHS is .3 higher.

Do these above numbers have any benefits, and if so, what?

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
You just said the K&N was the problem, then blamed the oil? HDD is a more robust oil, but you still might get that margin of safety with the ASL if you ditch the awful K&N filter.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not necessarily blaming the oil; just wondering if the HDD would even help?

HDD might show better for itself. I don't think you can improve much on the rest of your report. For the low TBN there's not much showing up bad as a result (unless I missed something).

Continue with the ASL and the OEM oil filter and ditch the K&N air filter and replace it with the OEM air filter and you will be good to go.

+1

Why not ditch that K&N, at least for this OCI, and see if the SI levels are the same.

There is no margin of safety difference between dino and synthetic when it comes to external contamination, if you have sand or dirt particles in the oil, that can't get filtered out, then, no matter what oil you throw at the problem, the extra wear will continue to happen. The only way to get rid of them is to get a good air filter, or if you want to keep K&N, then short OCIs are in order.

Thanks Gary.

I'll more than likely be driving this 4runner more than 9k miles in a years time ( like 12k ). And from the looks of this UOA, i don't think i can go much longer. Do you?

I'd like a little 'margin of safety' at the end of the interval. I just don't think i have that with ASL, so i'm thinking HDD might get me there?

Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas
Thanks Gary.

I'll more than likely be driving this 4runner more than 9k miles in a years time ( like 12k ). And from the looks of this UOA, i don't think i can go much longer. Do you?

I'd like a little 'margin of safety' at the end of the interval. I just don't think i have that with ASL, so i'm thinking HDD might get me there?

I think that added mileage will be mostly invisible. You'll shift from stuff that's more of an insult under 9k/one year to stuff that's more mileage dependent. That is, the conditions, overall, will be more favorable for either oil.

I do think the HDD will show better in either case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back