Should I replace my windshield

I’m not having luck buying a new car these days so I might have to keep my current car for awhile longer. It’s a 2006 Acura TL with 164,000 miles. It still has the original Honda windshield. It looks like the previous owner used the wipers without any rubber on the blades, the scratches are two arcs on both side of the glass. The glass doesn’t have any chips or cracks in it though. For some reason factory windshields made back then hold up over time. The newer factory glass just cracks by looking at it, yes I owned a late model Subaru. Would you gamble on a new aftermarket windshield just so you can see better out of the glass but also wonder if the new one will be installed correctly these day, or crack when the first pebble hits it.

Windshields are maintenance items. I go to Safelite and request an OEM windshield. They seem to be able to get them at a reasonable cost. (with the exception of my Honda S2000 below)

Example: Ford wanted $1400 for my F150 Lariat, and had to order it. Safelite ordered the very same windshield, from the same dealership and it was done for 1/4 the price. No joke, not a cheap imitation, but the real thing. It's been fantastic.

The S2000 had the Safelite brand installed. It was far better than the badly sandblasted and chipped OEM it replaced, but still lower quality, and was never quite crystal clear. It was strangely loud in the rain too. But for $250, it was worth every penny. I'd do it again in a second.

YGpzmgI.jpg

You can probably fill in the scratches with the windshield repair resin. Then you can scrape it smooth with a razor blade .

My Volvo's original windshield chipped and cracked quite easily. The replacement, also a Volvo windshield, though bought through a 3rd party installer, was noticeably crack resistant.

So it's a bit of the luck of the draw whether a given windshield will crack easily or not.

I wouldn't hesitate to replace the windshield on my 2007 Accord (180,000 Km = 113,000 miles) if it was cracked or badly scratched.

Without seeing the windshield I would recommend looking for a good auto detailer in your area and have it machined polished and coated.

Here is a link to a great DIY kit, I've used these products for years on many clients vehicles.

CarPro FlyBy 30 kit

You can use the polish by hand, if you have a DA polisher or maybe borrow one, will make the difference. If you do go the DA route I would also recommend these pads.

CarPro Glass Polishing Pads

To me it would be worth the $30ish before pulling the trigger on a new one.

If you have full glass coverage/replacement I would call up your local Acura dealer and ask them who does their glass. At least by me there is a local glass company that works with the dealership to buy factory Honda/Acura glass and installs it at the dealership.

I ordered these two products and I will see if it helps a little. I don’t expect any miracles with a 16 year old windshield but spending $30 rather then $400 for a new windshield is worth a try.

5BC1D34D-BAA6-4C54-B8A1-B6EB67544AA2.png

If you've never polished glass, be ready for an exercise in frustration, agony and time wasting. It's an extremely difficult task. The idea that one can remove minor scratches by EASILY polishing off a small quantity of the surface is really wrong. Glass is exceedingly hard to grind down and requires powerful tools, the proper compounds and methods. Failure at any step leads to poor results.

Just to echo Cujet a bit, I’ve never seen a glass that’s been scratched fixed, and I’ve seen numerous professionals try just to tell you “that’s as good as it’s going to get” and now you have a shining scratch rather than a dull one!

My advice, replace it if it reduces your vision of the road.

I would suggest that you solicit a few estimates from your local highly rated glass shops for a Pilkington brand replacement windshield. It is going to be higher quality (both optically and impact resistance) than most OEM glass (Honda and Acura included).

The product arrived today and it didn’t work removing the scratches. It did clean up the rest of the windshield but made the scratches more noticeable. I guess I will have to replace the windshield. It will be $359 out of pocket, so not that bad in my opinion for today’s prices.

The product arrived today and it didn’t work removing the scratches. It did clean up the rest of the windshield but made the scratches more noticeable. I guess I will have to replace the windshield. It will be $359 out of pocket, so not that bad in my opinion for today’s prices.
Hit it with a hammer and call your insurance.

Probably your best bet, and I’d call around to see if you can get a better price. When I had mine replaced last summer I received three different quotes in ten minutes, ranging from upwards of $100 less on some. Went with the lowest estimate, haven’t had a single problem since.

I have never had luck polishing a windshield and with wiper arm scratches - they just are not going to polish out. This is glass, not paint. I think you might have to just replace the windshield to be fully satisfied.

Back