PSA - AMEX Premium Rental Car Protection

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
In a previous thread a few weeks ago, @GON mentioned this add-on rental car insurance coverage that American Express offers that I had no idea existed. For $19.99 per rental (not per day) they will allow you to use this coverage as primary insurance should the car be damaged. Most credit card insurance coverage for rentals is secondary, so you need to file a claim with your own car insurance first and then the credit card coverage will cover anything out of pocket like a deductible. Coverage is automatic, just pay with your AMEX and they'll tack on the $19.99 fee to your statement and you're covered. Seeing what a great deal this was, I immediately signed up for it. Wouldn't you know, the very first rental after signing up the car gets damaged?

I was driving down the freeway and a stone hit the windshield causing a chip and a 3/4" crack. Upon returning the car, the attendant went over every inch of the car with the flashlight on their phone turned on...I've rented a couple hundred cars over the years and never witnessed this. So they ding me for a new windshield and claimed I scratched both right wheels (not convinced I did that). I was immediately presented with a damage bill of 1406.18 EUR that they immediately charged my card for.

MKsYajN.png

Filed a claim with AMEX and sure enough they covered it with a credit back to my card. It's in USD but the EUR is pretty much on parity with USD right now so I'm very happy not having to pay out of pocket for this.

NLxfIoD.png

A big thanks to @GON for his valuable contributions to the site!

I wouldn't be surprised if they never repaired the windshield and that car is still riding around with scratched wheels.

For years now I have been recording the exterior, interior, odometer / gas gage, and vin when I rent a car. 30 seconds with the phone recording multiple angles and you just covered yourself. I've heard too many stories like these but glad you got the protection!

So that amex insurance should be for any card.. I could enroll any of my 3 cards.

I always document the condition of my rentals inside and out at pickup and drop off to avoid them doing this. And some damage is just wear and tear. I would think paint chips and such are unavoidable wear and tear.

This program has been around for a long time. I'm surprised it's still only 20 bucks, but it's still probably easy money at that figure.

The only catch is that is requires one to opt-in and enroll in the program to make it active (the three Enroll buttons on their site should be a clue), before it will automatically be applied to rental transactions, sort of like an auto-renewing subscription or payment plan.

Never had to file a claim, but AMEX's extedned warranty coverage used to be good, but like a lot of things, that coverage has either been rescinded, or offered only to the "whale" card holders.

I wonder what kind of business case "ZTL insurance" would make.

Last edited:
So that amex insurance should be for any card.. I could enroll any of my 3 cards.

I think if you enroll one, you enroll all. As long as you pay for the rental with one of your AMEX cards you'd be covered.

I always take a video of the exterior of a car I'm about to rent. I include pointing to issues such as dings, curb rash and paint chips. That way if the rental car company tells me I'm responsible for damage I can how them that the damage was their before I drove the car.

I don't have an Amex but my card does include primary coverage without enrollment at no additional fee. Interesting that Amex has different levels though...my coverage is $75k so no option for more if I needed it.
Yes I have one too. but it has an annual fee.

So do all the Amex cards by the looks of it.
amex blue cash everyday , Magnet, everyday, and a bunch of the branded(hilton etc) have no annual fee.

I am ditching my blue preferred this year.. but I get 380+cashback on it. They raised the annual fee and I have alternative now.
I
t was nice getting 6% cash back at the grocery and 6% on subscriptions. but the 100$ annual fee takes too big a chunk out of that when you have alternatives such as
discover IT and chase with 5x points (chase points worth about 2 cents for travel) They are in rotating categories and annoying.

amex blue cash everyday , Magnet, everyday, and a bunch of the branded(hilton etc) have no annual fee.

I am ditching my blue preferred this year.. but I get 380+cashback on it. They raised the annual fee and I have alternative now.
I
t was nice getting 6% cash back at the grocery and 6% on subscriptions. but the 100$ annual fee takes too big a chunk out of that when you have alternatives such as
discover IT and chase with 5x points (chase points worth about 2 cents for travel) They are in rotating categories and annoying.
Depends on the card and use of course to determine if the fee is worth it. My card's annual is $395 but it gets covered every year in perks not including the points accumulated on purchases. 10x in a few categories and 2x on everything else so all the spending points are earned with what is in essence no annual fee.

Depends on the card and use of course to determine if the fee is worth it. My card's annual is $395 but it gets covered every year in perks not including the points accumulated on purchases. 10x in a few categories and 2x on everything else so all the spending points are earned with what is in essence no annual fee.
My no fee chase freedom and freedom flex net about 1200-1500 worth of hotels on 12000 spend(mainly on groceries or Gift cards) yearly.. just have to play the quarterly rotating categories game.
by the time I redeem on travel my additonal travel spending is minimal or reduced to buying IHG points at half price etc.. which doesnt net travel rewards. on a travel CC. The chase sapphire preferred will probably go soon I mainly got it for the 1k welcome bonus.. and its 50$ hotel credit is a joke because you have to purchase through the chase travel site which reduces the 50$ to almost nothing.

my answer was to your statement below that all amex appeared to have annual fee. Diving farther into rewards might merit its own topic.
So do all the Amex cards by the looks of it.

Back