Should I replace my windshield

If you've never polished glass, be ready for an exercise in frustration, agony and time wasting. It's an extremely difficult task. The idea that one can remove minor scratches by EASILY polishing off a small quantity of the surface is really wrong. Glass is exceedingly hard to grind down and requires powerful tools, the proper compounds and methods. Failure at any step leads to poor results.
In other words, make sure you try it on the passenger side first. :)

I've never had a bad aftermarket windshield.

Personally I think the most important thing is letting the vehicle sit a while after install, at least a few hours. If you have to drive, keep it to a minimum and avoid potholes and stuff.

Reactions: hrv
I just replaced a windshield on a Acura tl. Safelite wanted 525 installed. I told them to stick it and went to Aaron Glass in Chicago. They did it for 175

Shop around

I just replaced a windshield on a Acura tl. Safelite wanted 525 installed. I told them to stick it and went to Aaron Glass in Chicago. They did it for 175

Shop around
The issue now with newer cars is your mom and pop glass repair do not have the computers to reprogram the collision avoidance systems in newer vehicles. And the charge IS NOT CHEAP. I guarantee a newer windshield with programming would cost nearer that $525.00 (this is the black box located behind the rear view mirror).

I had it replaced yesterday with a made in USA Fuyao. The Dayton OH Fuyao plant looks huge. Was it an old auto manufacturing plant?

When my Ford van windshield got busted, the price was $150 for clear (what the van had) and $160 for tinted.
I was young and requested the clear.
The warehouse was out of clear so they gave me the tinted for the same money.
I couldn't believe the improvement in my vision.
THOSE were the days!

ps A car sharpie told me chips etc. on windshields are called "mileage marks".

Back