Should I buy a new vehicle?

Corolla hatchback
Im thinking that Corolla turbo supercharged thing.

E05BBCC8-B4CF-463A-9EAB-47C51CBD76ED.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can’t blame you, after ten years my cars feel unreliable and prone to breakage. No fun to have it suddenly down for a few days, especially since I don’t have options for a rental. But I’d keep the Dart, yeah you could get good trade in, but IMO spare vehicles have high value (especially to me as I’m now over a month waiting for one of my cars to get repaired).

Can’t blame you, after ten years my cars feel unreliable and prone to breakage. No fun to have it suddenly down for a few days, especially since I don’t have options for a rental. But I’d keep the Dart, yeah you could get good trade in, but IMO spare vehicles have high value (especially to me as I’m now over a month waiting for one of my cars to get repaired).
Great point on having a spare vehicle. I almost always have had one, and glad that I did.

Have not seen that in the Western U.S.
Have you seen lower interest rates advertised for new car sales?
I've seen Rams advertised at 0% for 72 months in the US.
That was unheard of 6 months ago.
That type of incentive means the new car business needs "juice", or that there is a damper on the car business.

Hey everyone so my new job requires 50+ hours per week. To say the least I’m wore out when I get home. I have 4 kids between the ages of 11 and 2 with one more on the way. I drive a 13 dart to work everyday it’s a 2.0 6 speed manual. It has 162,000 miles. I am mulling over the idea of trading it in on a new vehicle. My justification is something a little more comfortable to be in everyday. Also I suspect the dart will start nickel and diming. I’ve already replaced a control arm, tensioner pulley and a few other odds and ends. Shifter bushings, mounts. Nothing major yet but I guess my fear is how long until something goes? I typically do my own work and really just don’t have the time to be fixing stuff/ don’t want to make the time either. I know first world problems! Am I crazy or do you agree? I am at a point in my life where I want to spend more time with my family and less time fussing with a car. I would be buying something between 2019-2022 has to be a manual and have 5 seats. I would have a car payment. I’d likely just trade the dart in. I’m open to suggestions on cars I’m also open to other alternatives and being told I sound spoiled. 😂 one annoying thing about the dart that drives me nuts is the slight shake at highway speeds I bought new wheels and tires been balanced repeatedly and it still shakes. Needless to say I hate crap like that. 😂😂 what do you all think?
What is your time worth to you? I’m as cheap as the next guy but I can make more money. I cannot make more time. I’m an not advocate of debt, but I’m a huge advocate of not wasting your precious down time doing things you don’t enjoy doing. If this thing is eating up your time, I say move on from it. Life is short.

Suspicions and fear are nothing to base a plan upon.

The Dart is
Why not continue to drive the Dart for another year or two to let the market cool, all the while saving enough for you to pay cash for a 2-3 year old nice used car when the time comes?

Yes, keep Dart another few more years.

Ive never heard anyone successfully argue that a newer car is worth it because the existing car needs routine maintenance. One car payment for a brake job? Thats a lot compared to 47 more months of payments? Stop fooling yourself into thinking this is a logical argument.

My mom tried to convince me she needed a new car because it needed new brakes and tires. I bought I’d talked her out of it. She ended up trading for a two-year-newer Lexus of the SAME model and generation, but in a different color and with a pin stripe, for thousands more! I don’t recall the condition of the brakes and tires…It took a while for her to live that one down.

Now that’s an extreme example of a foolish trade-in, but telling yourself that you need a newer car because yours needs routine maintenance is almost as silly. Besides, if it does start nickel and dining you in the future…get rid of it. It’s not a high-value model and it’s already depreciated most of its value away, so you’re not losing out much by waiting.

Finally, we’ve all probably wasted our finger strength typing up rebuttals, since I’d bet you’re bound to buy a newer vehicle sooner than later, because its what you want. No shame I’m that. Maybe you should post a new thread asking for suggestions on newer cars with a stick instead of having us try to change your likely made up mind.

Ive never heard anyone successfully argue that a newer car is worth it because the existing car needs routine maintenance. One car payment for a brake job? Thats a lot compared to 47 more months of payments? Stop fooling yourself into thinking this is a logical argument.

My mom tried to convince me she needed a new car because it needed new brakes and tires. I bought I’d talked her out of it. She ended up trading for a two-year-newer Lexus of the SAME model and generation, but in a different color and with a pin stripe, for thousands more! I don’t recall the condition of the brakes and tires…It took a while for her to live that one down.

Now that’s an extreme example of a foolish trade-in, but telling yourself that you need a newer car because yours needs routine maintenance is almost as silly. Besides, if it does start nickel and dining you in the future…get rid of it. It’s not a high-value model and it’s already depreciated most of its value away, so you’re not losing out much by waiting.

Finally, we’ve all probably wasted our finger strength typing up rebuttals, since I’d bet you’re bound to buy a newer vehicle sooner than later, because its what you want. No shame I’m that. Maybe you should post a new thread asking for suggestions on newer cars with a stick instead of having us try to change your likely made up mind.
Read here: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/new-to-me-chevy-cruze.355698/

I believe everything is going to get worse in this country. Inflation is going to continue going up we heading for a major recession.If the car you have is running okay now and just needs a little maintenance.I wouldn't trade or spend any money on a new or different car right now.But if you think you have to wait 6 to 10 months I'm sure used cars are going to be a lot cheaper by then

Cars are at an all time high price right now. Wait about 6 months to a year and things will change. I have been drooling over the hybrid Corollas and Camrys for 3 years waiting for the prices to decrease. I will keep waiting but in the meantime "good ole money in the pocket" doesn't hurt anything either. My vehicles are always paid for and a borrower is slave to the lender. I would wait until you find what you feel is a super steal on a used vehicle. You are in the car business and should be able to search something out that will be very cost effective. Extreme knowledge of vehicles and prices will win the battle every time. You must have obtained an absolute steal on the Dodge Dart because in my opinion that automobile would not be my first choice. When the Darts were first introduced we were on a vacation and 3 people all had the brand new Dart and they were employed to test the vehicles. They all stated the Dart was not a very good car. OP I would seek out an extremely good deal on a car 3 years old or less and drive the wheels off it just like you are doing with the Dart. Good luck on the search and keep the borrowed money to a minimum. Post a picture of the new purchase please.

Back