Why am I buying 11.78 second 1/4 mile 4-dr sedan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I tell you that I got pulled over the next day after test driving the Tesla? I was in my 5-speed Maxima (year 2000, mileage 221K, rust spots:everywhere) and had barely got out of the 2nd gear after waiting for 60 seconds to make very difficult left turn and had gunned it, But fortunately, she took pity on me and let me go as that was the 1st time I was pulled over in almost 20 years of driving.

Originally Posted by Vikas
Did I tell you that I got pulled over the next day after test driving the Tesla?
Be careful. I started doing some really stupid driving ever since I picked up the Charger. I really need to stop this before I wreck or get a massive ticket.

Vikas, did you read all the stuff Munro wrote about the Tesla Model 3? https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-model-3-teardown-deconstructed-3/ for a summary, lots of other articles and videos around if you google --- Munro tesla teardown --- .
Interesting info on it. The skateboard lower parts are awesome. Upper body is awful.
For that kind of coin, I'd prefer they had more quality in the body.

In fact, they should sell that excellent skateboard as a module and let a real car maker do a nice body for it. That's not politically correct in the industry, I understand, yet it would make sense.

... I guessed Charger Hellcat before seeing it was a Tesla.
33.gif

Last edited:
I would go for a carbon fiber body, petroleum burning, tire smoking Corvette. Or better, a Porsche GT3.

Why are you buying it?

Mid life...…? Been there...I bought the Porsche! Then another one!

Last edited:
It was pretty obvious what you were talking about given your previous thread on your having come to the front of the queue for a Model 3.
If you want it and can afford it with no strain, then why not?
Operating costs will obviously be low, with no gas needed and no engine maintenance.
Keep us updated on how this car works in actual use, particularly what kind of range you see over the coming winter.
Above all, drive it and use it just as you would any car.
Don't keep it as a garage queen.
Kudos to you for having made this purchase, as I'm sure you will.

Just got it home few hours ago! Right now it is sipping juice at 4 mile per hours :-( The real charger installation is scheduled for the Monday, so this weekend I have to either find nearby supercharger or drip feed it on 110V. Driving is a blast. Both acceleration and handling is superb. Rest of the fancy technology still needs to be explored. Even though I have watched hundreds and hundreds of Model 3 videos, it is still a steep learning curve. I did NOT use the phone during the 1st drive.

The 1st failure was setting up garage door opener aka home link system. In the process, I wiped out the garage door itself so now the previously linked vehicles (or remote) are NOT working and of course the Tesla is not linked either. Too cold and too dark to mess around now to get it back working :-( Regardless, this HomeLink is needlessly complicated. It should be lot more easier to program a new remote. I had thought with full 15 inch iPad on the dash, Tesla linking should be a breeze as compared my Honda/Acura experience (which was pain too in the past), alas that was not so. Tesla had lot of trouble recognizing the frequency aka the 1st part of linking. I changed the battery in the remote and eventually, it recognized the frequency after multiple tries. But then when the rolling code setup was attempted, I accidentally erased the door opener itself :-(

Back to the car; I played with autopilot on the congested stop and go traffic. It seemed to be doing ok but once it started drifting little bit too much to my liking. I guess both the driver and the car need to get used to the autopilot. It does drive more like a student driver but it is learning quickly.

So, 4 miles per hour charge. You only have to plug it in for 3.75 minutes and you're ready for another 11.78 second run?
J/K

Originally Posted by spackard
So, 4 miles per hour charge. You only have to plug it in for 3.75 minutes and you're ready for another 11.78 second run?
J/K

I know you are kidding but when the range is measured in those 1/4 mile chunks, it gets reduced by factor of double digit number! One of the youtube video had the graph of energy usage on the track and it was spiked like anything. In general, the stated range is when the day of week ends in 'i' and phase of the moon aligns the phase of the Jupiter and the ambient temperature is between 77.778 and 77.776 F etc. All those range estimate for Model 3 Performance should be taken with a humongous bag of salt.

What is surreal is the raw acceleration with absolutely no drama and no noise when the accelerator pedal is pushed down. The car's posture does not change aka nose stays level and you feel as if just shot from a canon but without any bang. Your brain is not used to feeling those sensations without hearing the expected noise.

Even if you have zero plan of ever purchasing this vehicle, you should try to get some seat time in it. I think as a passenger, it is even better because you never guess when the driver will decide to floor it. The first time I got ride in Model S 75D, it blew me away. This Model 3 Performance is significantly faster than S 75D.

Got the home charger installation done; now the charging at home is 41 miles per hours! With 60 miles daily commute, I would probably have to plug it in every other or 3rd day. I drove sedately to work staying with the traffic or slightly below most of the time. At one time, I was getting boxed in, so moved over the the right lane and accelerated from 75. Before I could glance at the digital display, it was at 106. I wanted to be quick but not that quick!

I think one might still be able to purchase some variant of model 3 today with quick delivery before the end of the year (for the federal $7500 incentive) if they can locate a car with similar specifications and if you are willing to be flexible in your choice. Once you get a test drive, you will be hooked.

Look at the window sticker; have you ever seen a more expensive option on a base car?
I corrected the picture but this forum is still showing it sideways

window_sticker.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back