Caravan, Sedona or santa fe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by Huie83
Another option, Look for an older Toyota Sienna. I purchased a 06 sienna 4-5 years ago with 70K miles on it for ~$9 or $10K.

Not saying you have to go that old, you can find a 2011+ with low miles in your price range. I went older because I like the 3.3 motor vs the 3.5 in the newer ones. The 3.3 is easier to work on and run forever.

I gave it to my ex last year but its sitting around 120K miles now. Did the timing belt, front sway bar links and a trans service at 100K before I handed it over. Just normal maintenance the rest of it's life. Did I mention they are really easy to work on if you need to
smile.gif

Maybe he can get a 4-cylinder Sienna in that price range. They only made it for a couple years, but the 4-cylinder will be MUCH easier to work on than a transverse V6
smile.gif

Even though the transverse V6 is inherently a bad design, Toyota's are even worse
mad.gif

:

A 4 cylinder minivan sounds absolutely awful to drive. Can't speak for the others, but the Grand Caravan with the v6 has more than enough power to move out of its own way.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by Huie83
Another option, Look for an older Toyota Sienna. I purchased a 06 sienna 4-5 years ago with 70K miles on it for ~$9 or $10K.

Not saying you have to go that old, you can find a 2011+ with low miles in your price range. I went older because I like the 3.3 motor vs the 3.5 in the newer ones. The 3.3 is easier to work on and run forever.

I gave it to my ex last year but its sitting around 120K miles now. Did the timing belt, front sway bar links and a trans service at 100K before I handed it over. Just normal maintenance the rest of it's life. Did I mention they are really easy to work on if you need to
smile.gif

Maybe he can get a 4-cylinder Sienna in that price range. They only made it for a couple years, but the 4-cylinder will be MUCH easier to work on than a transverse V6
smile.gif

Even though the transverse V6 is inherently a bad design, Toyota's are even worse
mad.gif

:

A 4 cylinder minivan sounds absolutely awful to drive. Can't speak for the others, but the Grand Caravan with the v6 has more than enough power to move out of its own way.

On the Caravan it is easy to overdrive the front wheels. I had an emergency the other day so I had to get home in a hurry. On acceleration I had traction control light come on a few times as tires broke lose. Van did take curves great though so I can't complain but better tires are needed and at 14k they still look new.

Caravan has a pretty deep first gear, plus being FWD and a mini van means those fronts are going to get unloaded in a hurry.

The I4 Caravan does sound like a dog, but around town it might be fine. I bet for most people it'd only be an issue on the highway, and maybe only if they dislike hearing the trans kick down once or twice (which now is a common occurrence what with 10 speed transmissions now becoming the norm).

I've contemplated the I4's, theoretically easier to work on than the 6's. But between hard to find, gutless then probably hard to source parts for, it seems unwise. At least when you buy something they made for years, parts sourcing is a snap.

What's kinda wild is the new RAV4's. If you get the uber useless TRD version, that 2.5L is rated for 3,500lb towing. I think they beefed up the trans cooler and added an engine oil cooler--but I haven't see if they did anything else (like final drive change). Makes me think the I4's might be underrated. But still they gotta be gutless...

Originally Posted by supton
I've contemplated the I4's, theoretically easier to work on than the 6's. But between hard to find, gutless then probably hard to source parts for, it seems unwise. At least when you buy something they made for years, parts sourcing is a snap.

What's kinda wild is the new RAV4's. If you get the uber useless TRD version, that 2.5L is rated for 3,500lb towing. I think they beefed up the trans cooler and added an engine oil cooler--but I haven't see if they did anything else (like final drive change). Makes me think the I4's might be underrated. But still they gotta be gutless...

The 2.7L 1AR-FE was also used in the Highlander and Venza and has about 190 hp, so not gutless at all, and it was also used on the Highlander and Venza
smile.gif

The 2.7L 1AR-FE was also used in the Highlander and Venza and has about 190 hp, so not gutless at all, and it was also used on the Highlander and Venza
smile.gif

190hp? What is this, 1992? Barely ticks off less than 10 seconds 0-60. Modern definition of slow. Which I'm fine with (see sig) but let's call a spade a spade here. Any amount of stuff in these and they will be "working" to get the job done, which many would criticize.

smile.gif

In a day where v6's are pumping out around 300hp, 190HP in a 4,500lb vehicle is pretty gutless.

In a day where v6's are pumping out around 300hp, 190HP in a 4,500lb vehicle is pretty gutless.

190hp? What is this, 1992? Barely ticks off less than 10 seconds 0-60. Modern definition of slow. Which I'm fine with (see sig) but let's call a spade a spade here. Any amount of stuff in these and they will be "working" to get the job done, which many would criticize.

It's a minivan, not a Hellcat
smirk2.gif

The Transit Connect is about the same power-to-weight ratio as the 4-cylinder Sienna

smirk2.gif

The Transit Connect is about the same power-to-weight ratio as the 4-cylinder Sienna

My 25hp Car Does 0-60 in about 18 seconds, seems fine to me and 60mpg is nothing to sneeze at.

I honestly miss the low HP rigs with good fuel economy, hence why I'm "saving " a few.

A modernized diesel Rabbit pickup non-turbo or old 80's diesel Toyota pickup would be a nice multipurpose rig, too bad every moped needs 600hp to sell.

[

smirk2.gif

I like being able to merge onto the highway and not be an impediment to other traffic as an underpowered vehicle struggles to get up to speed.

My GFs dads 2012 Sienna V6 6-speed AWD is far from gutless. It's fast and the handling is really good. You would never know you were in a van. I think it's faster than my 6.0 Escalade and do admit to flooring it a couple of times just to make a point to cocky kids LOL. gets the same gas mileage as the 4 cyl.

[

smirk2.gif

I like being able to merge onto the highway and not be an impediment to other traffic as an underpowered vehicle struggles to get up to speed.

AKA windshield splat or semis doing 75-80 mph....

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
I honestly miss the low HP rigs with good fuel economy, hence why I'm "saving " a few.

A modernized diesel Rabbit pickup non-turbo or old 80's diesel Toyota pickup would be a nice multipurpose rig, too bad every moped needs 600hp to sell.

Now that I have a garage I've toyed with getting an old diesel Rabbit... Problem is, I live 50 miles from work and I suspect the NVH would get to me real quick. That and most of those vehicles are either long in tooth or kinda pricey for what they are.

I think around town I'd be fine, and actually for my commute up and down I93 I'd be ok. But down in MA... forget it, my 138ish HP Camry struggles. Short onramps and busy traffic is a bit eye-opening.

Now that I have a garage I've toyed with getting an old diesel Rabbit... Problem is, I live 50 miles from work and I suspect the NVH would get to me real quick. That and most of those vehicles are either long in tooth or kinda pricey for what they are.

I think around town I'd be fine, and actually for my commute up and down I93 I'd be ok. But down in MA... forget it, my 138ish HP Camry struggles. Short onramps and busy traffic is a bit eye-opening.

RAV6 (RAV4 with the vrom vrom engine) or the Camry's with the special sport engine?

Owners posted in the past here....

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
My GFs dads 2012 Sienna V6 6-speed AWD is far from gutless. It's fast and the handling is really good. You would never know you were in a van. I think it's faster than my 6.0 Escalade and do admit to flooring it a couple of times just to make a point to cocky kids LOL. gets the same gas mileage as the 4 cyl.

The last time I put any miles on a Sienna was on a ~2010 rental when we were on vacation back then. I thought it had a serious amount of scoots to it. We owned a 2007 Odyssey at the time that was plenty powerful as well. Pretty much any MV from the mid 2000's and up other than GM variants with the 3.4L or the Dodge/Chryslers with the pushrod 3.3 have all kinds of power IMO.

Originally Posted by pandus13

RAV6 (RAV4 with the vrom vrom engine) or the Camry's with the special sport engine?

Owners posted in the past here....

I've toyed with getting a V6 RAV4, nice do-all without doing anything well, but they're getting old now, and we all know new Toyota isn't old Toyota, and thus one shouldn't have high expectations any more of 'em. Then throw in the problems (V6 water pump, anything to do with the rear bank, 5AT noise, high mileage automatic woes, and possibly the electronic clutch in the rear diff) and it seems real.y unwise. Plus, I think the 30 mpg I'm getting right now is kinda low--a V6 RAV4 is probably only going to net me low 20's, what with how I drive.

Right now I just try to avoid driving in MA. Goes a really long ways, actually, in making driving more comfortable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by LeakySeals

The last time I put any miles on a Sienna was on a ~2010 rental when we were on vacation back then. I thought it had a serious amount of scoots to it. We owned a 2007 Odyssey at the time that was plenty powerful as well. Pretty much any MV from the mid 2000's and up other than GM variants with the 3.4L or the Dodge/Chryslers with the pushrod 3.3 have all kinds of power IMO.

Wasn't my intention to say the minivans were gutless--just that the I4 minivans were. Or I should say, I'm assuming they would be, as I haven't actually driven one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back