Should gas stations be mandated to have chargers as well?

You need to spend some time in rural America - off the interstates, away from Silicon Valley, the flyover zone where the crops and cattle are grown. Many stations are present. I have relatives in SW Missouri who own one. And they are not alone. There are associations, conventions, lobbyists, etc. for them.
Sure. Much of CA is ag. Our home in Petaluma is in wine country; a nice refuge from the grueling Silicon Valley.
1705884839107.jpg

I don't know if it is worse then fracking or tar sand oil extraction.

That’s some pretty nasty stuff. I understand that a good deal of the energy content removed is expended to heat up the next area to allow extraction. And they have to keep it going even if the price of crude is low because it’s difficult to restart the process.

CI-TarSands-Alberta-DruOjaJay-CC-BY-170421-600-400px.jpg

All about what is better for society as a whole. Are you all about money or do you care about the environment and future of our kids?
If I had a business and it was a law then I would do what was required. That is how laws work right?
Труд! Народовластие! Социализм!

There’s always little things that are the cost of doing business. Gas stations here are required to pump gas for disabled customers at a self service price. Provide air and water for customers. And bathrooms if located less than 660 feet from an interstate highway.

Having been a business owner, I'm well aware.

The point is the OP has been positing these types of threads for years, wherein EVERYONE ELSE needs to step up. Suggest that he could do the same, and it's a raft of excuses.

Sure. Much of CA is ag. Our home in Petaluma is in wine country; a nice refuge from the grueling Silicon Valley.
View attachment 199756

Since when was Petaluma wine country? I know it’s a farm town but I see the nearby areas are mostly dairy cattle. I remember visiting downtown seeing all the corrugated tin style buildings meant to look like farm buildings, and seeing an animal feed store next to the place where I was I had a meeting.

And the dig at Silicon Valley as not understanding rural America seems a bit weird. That area was mostly farmland 50 years ago. Even in the middle of cities there are still little holdouts like an orange grove here or a cherry orchard there. Santa Clara County still has an extensive agricultural economy, especially in Gilroy with garlic processing. I remember taking a train ride south to San Jose and seeing cattle grazing out the window in Fremont. As far as I know, they still call Stanford University “The Farm”. And the area around Fremont and Sunol includes a lot of farmland.

The point is the OP has been positing these types of threads for years, wherein EVERYONE ELSE needs to step up. Suggest that he could do the same, and it's a raft of excuses.
OP probably never owned or operated a business, based on the comments here and other threads.

Since when was Petaluma wine country? I know it’s a farm town but I see the nearby areas are mostly dairy cattle. I remember visiting downtown seeing all the corrugated tin style buildings meant to look like farm buildings, and seeing an animal feed store next to the place where I was I had a meeting.

And the dig at Silicon Valley as not understanding rural America seems a bit weird. That area was mostly farmland 50 years ago. Even in the middle of cities there are still little holdouts like an orange grove here or a cherry orchard there. Santa Clara County still has an extensive agricultural economy, especially in Gilroy with garlic processing. I remember taking a train ride south to San Jose and seeing cattle grazing out the window in Fremont. As far as I know, they still call Stanford University “The Farm”. And the area around Fremont and Sunol includes a lot of farmland.
Petaluma is in Sonoma County's Wine Country. Petaluma's name comes from the Miwok village named Péta Lúuma that was located on the banks of the Petaluma River.
You are right that it is farm land; at one time was the chicken capital of the world. Locals call us "Chicken Town", especially in nearby Napa. They did close the beef slaughterhouse a few years ago due to problems.

I love it up there, only 90 minutes or so from our home in Los Gatos. There are wineries up north and down past Monterrey.

I don't think electric vehicles are the future unless the federal government heavily subsidizes them. The middle class and lower middle class simply can't afford them. Inventories are building at dealers. Used ones often don't receive bids at auctions. Some EV models are depreciating $30k after one year. Hybrids are a cost effective idea. EV's are not.

Petaluma is in Sonoma County's Wine Country. Petaluma's name comes from the Miwok village named Péta Lúuma that was located on the banks of the Petaluma River.
You are right that it is farm land; at one time was the chicken capital of the world. Locals call us "Chicken Town", especially in nearby Napa. They did close the beef slaughterhouse a few years ago due to problems.

I love it up there, only 90 minutes or so from our home in Los Gatos. There are wineries up north and down past Monterrey.

I dunno. I always thought of Petaluma as cow country. Clover-Stornetta, Cowgirl Creamery. Maybe even Lagunitas Brewing. Peanuts featured it as the site of a big arm wrestling competition.

Wine Country to me is Sonoma Valley. Healdsburg. Geyserville. Sonoma. Glen Ellen. Or the coastal vineyards. The whole corridor of Petaluma/Rohnert Park/Cotati/Santa Rosa seems more wine country adjacent like I’d consider American Canyon to not be wine country.

I dunno. I always thought of Petaluma as cow country. Clover-Stornetta, Cowgirl Creamery. Maybe even Lagunitas Brewing. Peanuts featured it as the site of a big arm wrestling competition.

Wine Country to me is Sonoma Valley. Healdsburg. Geyserville. Sonoma. Glen Ellen. Or the coastal vineyards. The whole corridor of Petaluma/Rohnert Park/Cotati/Santa Rosa seems more wine country adjacent like I’d consider American Canyon to not be wine country.
I wouldn’t consider Petaluma wine country. It’s a heavily congested area. Guys from Griggs Racing moved from Infineon to Petaluma a few (10?) yrs ago. Had a very “Bay Area” feel to it coming up from Morro Bay & Paso Robles.

I’m in Sacramento now, what a ****hole this place is 😂

I wouldn’t consider Petaluma wine country. It’s a heavily congested area. Guys from Griggs Racing moved from Infineon to Petaluma a few (10?) yrs ago. Had a very “Bay Area” feel to it coming up from Morro Bay & Paso Robles.

I’m in Sacramento now, what a ****hole this place is 😂

The city of Napa has tried to capture some wine country business. Oxbow Public Market is nice, but other attempts fell flat.

The wine business is odd though. Bronco Wine set up a large scale winery in the city of Napa and buy inexpensive but relatively high quality grapes from all over California and process them. I think some know the Charles Shaw brand sold at Trader Joe’s where some saw Napa on the label and thought it was Napa Valley wine.

As far as Napa/Sonoma wine country goes, it’s a little low on EV charging. I’ve seen lots of Teslas, but you’d think they would set up more Superchargers than just in Napa at the outlets. I’ve mentioned the free charging at the Coppola Winery in Healdsburg.

The city of Napa has tried to capture some wine country business. Oxbow Public Market is nice, but other attempts fell flat.

The wine business is odd though. Bronco Wine set up a large scale winery in the city of Napa and buy inexpensive but relatively high quality grapes from all over California and process them. I think some know the Charles Shaw brand sold at Trader Joe’s where some saw Napa on the label and thought it was Napa Valley wine.

As far as Napa/Sonoma wine country goes, it’s a little low on EV charging. I’ve seen lots of Teslas, but you’d think they would set up more Superchargers than just in Napa at the outlets. I’ve mentioned the free charging at the Coppola Winery in Healdsburg.
Haven’t been to Napa in years. Will take an occasional trip to the racetrack in Sonoma but that’s about it. Wife & I generally just head back home to the Central Coast & she can enjoy the wineries there(I’m not the biggest wine drinker even though I grew up on a vineyard).

It is surprising a bit hearing there’s not many public charging stations in Napa. Given the area I would have guessed otherwise. I can understand though that the distribution power system is older in that portion of the PG&E territory

Water quality. I get that MTBE isn’t all that toxic, but MTBE died after several leaks affected groundwater taste. Going back to MTBE is a nonstarter.
Yeah they hyped incidences from OLD gas station storage tanks that leaked a trace amount. Understand ANY tank in any disrepair will leak anything. The corn lobby - rust belt politicians jumped on it like white on rice to force ethanol on us.

If you still don't belive me, then tell me why enviro-hyper Europe and the rest of the world uses MtBE so much.

Haven’t been to Napa in years. Will take an occasional trip to the racetrack in Sonoma but that’s about it. Wife & I generally just head back home to the Central Coast & she can enjoy the wineries there(I’m not the biggest wine drinker even though I grew up on a vineyard).

It is surprising a bit hearing there’s not many public charging stations in Napa. Given the area I would have guessed otherwise. I can understand though that the distribution power system is older in that portion of the PG&E territory

There probably is various Level 2 Charging all over the area, but Tesla seems to have a lack of Superchargers. Just a few in Napa at the outlet mall (and that did have a large collection of different charging systems) and a strip mall. Also at a place in the south of town called Allied Clean Fuels. So they do have Tesla Superchargers in addition to all manner of flammable liquid fuels including what sounds like untaxed, dyed #2 fuel oil, as well as a regular Chevron gas station. They only time I've heard of #2 fuel oil was with a steam railroad in the area that uses it to operate their boilers.

We are pleased and proud to announce the recent opening of our highly anticipated Allied Clean Fuels Plaza, located near our headquarters on Devlin Road and adjacent to the Napa Valley Gateway Business Park, near California Route 29.​
This is no ordinary fuel plaza: When we say “clean fuels,” we’re not kidding. Our unique fuel plaza specializes in clean fuel options for all types of vehicles. The electric vehicle charging stations include a Tesla Supercharger capable of charging eight Tesla vehicles simultaneously in just 20 minutes. There is a Chevron fuel island with three grades of gasoline as well as diesel, renewable diesel (made from non-petroleum renewable resources), red diesel (heating oil) and E85 ethanol fuel blend. All the refined fuels at our plaza are available in bulk deliveries for our agricultural customers.​

But it's not like there aren't non-Tesla charging options. Heck - I remember on that trip we took to Redwood NP we stopped in Healdsburg (yeah - I know it's Sonoma County) at a McDonald's for coffee and there was a ChargePoint charging station right there. A lot of local businesses are set up as part of Tesla's Destination Charging program, but most are hotels although also a lot of wineries. But once it's north of the city of Napa there are no Superchargers on State Route 29. Yountville might not be amenable to it, but I would have thought that maybe some winery in St Helena or Calistoga might. I did deselect Destination Charging in this map because it tends to cover a lot but the last time we visited they weren't any places we were interested in. However, the only time I've ever used Destination Charging was at Russian River Brewing at their new location in Windsor. If you're going along the coast, there is one Supercharger setup in Point Reyes Station.

Screen Shot 2024-01-21 at 8.55.13 PM.png

I have always said I am willing to pay higher taxes.

Back