Shop refused to mount my tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
My fiancee's 2012 Nissan Rogue is due for some new tires. I ordered a set of Hankook Dynapro HT tires off Discount Tire Direct and made an appointment with a local indy shop. I arrived at my appointment on time, and had to wait an hour before they even looked at the car. What is the point in making an appointment if I still have to wait an hour?? So I was already annoyed, and then they take one look at the tires, look at the sticker in the door jamb, and said they can't mount them, because the new tires have a speed rating of T, and "Nissan specifies an H rated tire." I was furious, to say the least.

I stormed out of there, muttering obscenities under my breath. I drove straight to another shop and told them the whole story. They rolled their eyes at the first shop and agreed to mount my tires. At least there's one shop with some common sense. The only problem is, I had to make an appointment with them and have to wait until Friday morning to get them mounted.

A T rated tire is safe up to 118 mph. An H rated tire is 130 mph. Does this shop seriously think I'm going to drive this car over 118 mph??? And IF I do, a tire is going to blow, I get gravely injured and I would sue them because they agreed to mount them?! Do they realize how freakin ridiculous that sounds? It's a freakin' Rogue, not a Ferrari!!! It's bureaucratic bull****! And because they're so worried about something that will never happen, they lost a customer for life.

I'm angry that I wasted a good portion of my vacation day driving 30 miles round trip to pick the car up, load the tires in it, and wait for an hour at the shop, all for nothing. And now I have take time out of another vacation day to go to this other shop.

I plan on going back to this shop right after I get the tires mounted and show them that there's another shop that has common sense, where I will be taking my future business. Then tell the guy he's a [censored] moron for not mounting them and wasting my time.

This is yet another reason I do all repairs myself and avoid shops whenever possible. If I only had my own tire mounting/balancing machine and alignment rack, I would have absolutely no need for shops at all.

Now let's hope these tires hold up well. I'm a little concerned 'cause I usually drive about 120 mph, if traffic permits. Oh well, if they blow, at least I'll have someone to sue!
smirk.gif
/sarcasm.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Do they realize how freakin ridiculous that sounds?

Doesn't sound ridiculous at all -- you may not sue, but someone else might (especially after being advised of the speed rating discrepancy by their lawyer).

I am sure if you walked in there to buy tires and all they had on the shelf were T rated tires, they would have had no problem installing them.

I plan on going back to this shop right after I get the tires mounted and show them that there's another shop that has common sense, where I will be taking my future business. Then tell the guy he's a [censored] moron for not mounting them and wasting my time.

I'm sorry that a store following liability rules angers you so.

I do hope going back and acting like an insulting jerk makes you feel better about yourself and your perceived injustice.

Many shops and chains do the same unfortunately.

It is the insurance company.

You like working and keeping your job or business. So does the shop owner with his hands tied.

Bought my tires online took them for install to Wal- Mart they check my door tire info to make sure they matched the tire, then they installed.

The "speed" rating has more to do with sidewall stiffness and its effect on handling behaviors... Important for safety, no?

Glad some businesses are willing to turn jobs away to ensure that safety isnt sacrificed to save a few bucks.

You can argue going fast or handling all you want... THe vehicle was designed for a specific tire application.

Sorry.

Originally Posted By: Hollow

I do hope going back and acting like an insulting jerk makes you feel better about yourself and your perceived injustice.

Of course it'll make me feel better. Why else would I do it?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mikered30
What is the max speed of that vehicle? Walmart has the same policy.

A quick Google search shows the electronic speed limiter kicks in at around 110 mph.

Oh, I dunno. Maybe because of a desire to treat others like you would want to be treated?

I can only presume you desire others to be jerks to you. Have fun with that.

You can thank the litigious nature of our society. The shop is following the rules because someone will and has sued in a similar situation. You will find very few shops and manufactures willing to play fast and loose with tire specs since the Ford/Firestone fiasco in the late 90s. We have strict rules in our service dept. that all tires must meet all of the manufacture's specs. It is not meant to inconvenience anyone. It is meant to protect us from liability and customers from an unsafe situation by maintaining the driving dynamics the manufacture intended. True, it will probably never be an issue. It only takes once however.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
^+1 to both of the above. And the "speed" rating has more to do with sidewall stiffness and its effect on handling behaviors... Important for safety, no?

Glad some businesses are willing to turn jobs away to ensure that safety isnt sacrificed to save a few bucks.

You can argue going fast or handling all you want... THe vehicle was designed for a specific tire application.

Sorry.

I'll take my chances with these tires, thanks.

By the way, many people have installed these tires on Rogues and have nothing but good things to say about them. AND, I discovered these tires by selecting "2012 Nissan Rogue" and the website showed which tires would fit and work with this vehicle!

Originally Posted By: Hollow

+1 they can get your tag # and have you charged with harassment and then you'll have a legal bill. Life is too short for revenge.

As Dave Hester would say "Yuuup".

Went through the same thing with out Impala. OE tire on the Impala is a (HORRIBLE) GY Integrity in 225/60/16 97S. I went to 4 different shops to try and get a 215/65/16 98T Hankook Winter iPike to try and get them put on and was told a very definite "NO" at all places just because it wasn't the exact size.

I ended up taking the wheels off and threw them in a bed of a pickup and had a shop mount them up no questions asked. In my case, I was easily equipping the car with a tire that can handle more weight and a higher speed. That, coupled with the fact that the tire is a little narrower, equals out to about the same performance as the OE tires, IMO.

In your case, I can understand your frustration, but perhaps the speed and load combined is why they wont mount them.

Last edited:
The important thing is what the owners manual says .

they tried telling me that I needed H rated on a 2010 accent. And I pulled out the owners manual,also the door jam doesnt specify a speed rating.

they were just being silly trying to say I needed to match the oem tires which isnt true.

After a 5min polite conversation with the manager they saw it my way.

now if your door sticker or manual does say H rated.. then you need H-rated. Thats normal and a liability thing.

Last edited:
Lets say someone mounts the incorrect tire on a vehicle that has a problem and injures somebody in your family, are they going to be morons for driving a vehicle with the wrong tires on it? Or is the shop going to be morons for doing it?
Its not the shop, its the sue happy nation we have become, that's why insurance is so high.
A 4 post lift is cheap, and Im sure you can find used tire and alignment equipment cheap enough, then you would be the only moron to complain about.

My Accord calls for a 215/60/16 94H and I'm running a 205/65/16 95T Blizzak.

Who wants to sue me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back