I give a lot of credence to Tirerack's test reviews. They test the majority of the tires they sell and compare tires within the same use classification. They have a test track, skid pad (that is also watered with a sprinkler system) and autocross course next to their South Bend Warehouse. They then take the tires out for a spin on city streets and highways (snow tires get tested on frozen lakes in Minn.). They test on various vehicles as well. The results and comparisons are all posted on their web-site. Shipping is fast (sometimes in a day or two if your close to one of their warehouses. They usually throw in a free road hazard warranty for two years as well. I've ordered several sets of tires from them as have my sons without any issues. They also have great live on-line and phone help (including recommendations for your particular vehicle). Most of the people you communicate with have also been involved in the testing and know their tires.

Sorry for the missing information. Tire size is 15/55/17. Winter isn't really a concern where I live. Car is a daily driver, looking for something that will last and promote good gas mileage. The tires I have on it right now are Firestone Fuel Fighters and they've lasted forever and my mpg is great but they're outside my budget right now
Oklahoma. We get winter now and then but it isn't bad

If summer tires are acceptable, the best choice for you is the Goodyear EfficientGrip at $117 each.

If you still want all-seasons, the Kumho LX Platinum and the Douglas tires are good choices at a great price.

What is your tire size? Is it 205/65-16? :unsure:

If price is the most important factor, get the Douglas tires from Walmart. They are very good for the price, one of the better cheap tires. The Kumho LX Platinum is also a good value.

Other good choices:
Nordman Solstice 4 (Nokian)
Milestar AW365
Toyo Celsius
You think the Douglas line is better than the Nexen and Goodyear reliant? The warranty is lower on the Douglas but I haven't researched them.

Great replies here, thank you. I have a lot to research, lol. I think I've narrowed it down though...

Just glancing at the brands I would go for Kumho or Hankook.

Reviews can be tough to Wade through as it’s completely unscientific.

Or in the real day to day busy world check out Costco. Price comparable to online and road hazard and mileage warranty honored.

Review of UNIROYAL Tiger Paw A/S start @ 3:46 . GENERAL should of stayed with the RT43s' . :rolleyes:
Many reviews that include the RT45s' , CONTINENTALs' , etc..

You think the Douglas line is better than the Nexen and Goodyear reliant? The warranty is lower on the Douglas but I haven't researched them.

Yeah, the Douglas is one of the better cheap tires. If you still prefer a name brand, the Kumho LX Platinum

I just recently purchased the Hankook Kinergy PT, you might want to look at that one, I had a 100$ CAD rebate off plus free installation.

My last set was the Defender T+H, these Hankook are similar, are a bit quieter, have very impressive dry and wet grip, very good hydroplaning resistance. They ride very well. Overall, I am impressed. Keep in mind, they need a break-in period, only then they will truly ride and handle better. I would buy it again. Like the Michelin, they are a bit firm, but 860 wear rating.

Goodyear's Kelly-Springfield makes the Douglas labeled tires for Walmart as well as other private brands.
Goodyear owns Cooper which makes tires under their own brand, Dean, Starfire, Avon, Arizonian (Discount Tire), Hercules
Michelin owns Uniroyal & BFGoodrich.
Continental owns General.
Bridgestone owns Firestone.
All the tire makers have factories all around the world. I've had Russian Michelins.
Discount Tire & Tirerack have the same ownership.
Les Schwab's house brand is Mazama,* made by Sumitomo. They offer other brands but on-line list only the model name, not the tire brand such as Continental or Toyo.

As said above, you get pretty much what you pay for. If one is willing to forego certain aspects then a low price might be right. Expect shorter tread life, maybe reduced snow or rain traction, perhaps not as good road handling...pick your trade off.

*Mt. Mazama is the complex volcano that holds Crater Lake, not far from the Les Schwab headquarters in Bend, Oregon.

Last edited:
If you have a Sam's Club Membership, you cannot go wrong with the Pirelli P4 A/S Plus Persist tire at this price point. Add in the $100 instant discount, and it will just about offset the $20/tire mounting, balancing & road hazard fee and the Sam's Club Promotional Membership which is currently $25.

View attachment 222192
Drag! I was about to pull the trigger on this but Sam's said I would have to be a Plus member to in order to get the savings. So I'd have to spend $110 in order to save $100.

I'd go with the Douglas tires over the Kumho Platinum LX tires since the tread design looks much better for traction. Can't beat the price on those. I used to have some Kelly tires that look identical to the Douglas tires and I was happy with them. Tire store recommended them at the time.

Drag! I was about to pull the trigger on this but Sam's said I would have to be a Plus member to in order to get the savings. So I'd have to spend $110 in order to save $100.
You are being misled by the individual you talked to at Sam's Club. I have always had the basic (normally $50) membership and I got the $100 instant discount when I bought 4 of the Pirelli P4 tires in April when the promo started. Plus Memberships get an added $40 bonus discount for a total of $140 off a set of 4 Pirelli tires (see fine print in screen capture below).

1717440946538.jpg
1717441223857.jpg

Go back to the store and ask the attendant in the tire shop. You can also buy it online and the $100 discount automatically applies upon checkout.

Last edited:
Back