Tires & Tire Pressure for 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis

Was wondering if anyone has any opinion/experience with Crossmax tires?

It has a 600 tread ware rating and 98 load index like the Goodyear All Season Assurance and Goodyear Reliant (the latter made especially for Walmart).

Crossmax apparently makes only one type of tire in numerous sizes. I had a brief experience with them on the 2006 Spec V Sentra I had. These tires were made in Thailand. I understand that some of the Crossmax tires are made in China. I recall Scotty Kilmer saying that China has had quality control issues with tires.

I recall the Crossmax tire stating a 40 PSI cold max limit on the sidewall, which I find odd, given that other tires of that size and type have a higher cold max PSI recommendation.

Is the Goodyear Reliant a more practical tire than the Goodyear Assurance All Season, which at last notice sells for about $25 more?

Please feel free to suggest other tires, preferably in the $125 and under range.

My Mercury Grand Marquis manual calls for 32 PSI in the front and 35 PSI in the rear. Coming from an Acura Integra, Civic Si and Spec V driving experience, I like a firmer ride. Is 37 PSI in the front and 40 PSI in the rear too much? I'm also concerned about not wearing out the tires and causing suspension problems sooner rather than later.

Somewhat unrelated, I like the 0-30 MPH and 30-50 MPH acceleration on the Grand Marquis. 0-60 isn't a practical gauge for accessing a car's speed under typical driving conditions.

In retrospect, I made a mistake in 2006 when I bought new a Spec V Sentra. Back then, for about the same price (so I've been told), I could've purchased a 2004 Crown Vic or Grand Marquis for about the same price. That Spec V is a car to drive car, compromised by the quality control issues Nissan increasingly had following its merger with Renault.

Last edited:
How important is snow/winter performance?

If it matters, you should consider all-weather tires like the Milestar Weatherguard AW365. The Nokian WRG4 is on clearance for $105. It was recently replaced by the WRG5.

The now-Walmart-exclusive Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum is actually pretty expensive in your size, and Douglas is sold out :(

Last edited:
I'm guessing with that tread pattern those aren't exactly a quiet tire and will get louder as the tires wear. Not my pick for a full-size classic V8 RWD sedan.

I sure wouldn’t put a $65 Amazon tire on any car of mine.
There are lots of good choices.
The General Altimax RT45
Hankook Kinergy
Cooper Endeavor
Kumho
Sumitomo
Falken
Uniroyal
BF Goodrich
Kelly Springfield
Douglas

I sure wouldn’t put a $65 Amazon tire on any car of mine.
There are lots of good choices.
The General Altimax RT45
Hankook Kinergy
Cooper Endeavor
Kumho
Sumitomo
Falken
Uniroyal
BF Goodrich
Kelly Springfield
Douglas
With price in mind, the Hankook Kinergy has comparatively impressive stats. Will check the others on your list. Mavis and some other tire shops are good when it comes to matching lower prices elsewhere.

With price in mind, the Hankook Kinergy has comparatively impressive stats. Will check the others on your list. Mavis and some other tire shops are good when it comes to matching lower prices elsewhere.
Check with your local Ford dealer’s Quick Lane. They usually match or beat anyone else’s prices.

I found Starfire tires (a division of Cooper) at my favourite local tire shop and I like them. Reasonably priced and they ride well and are fairly quiet.

I found Starfire tires (a division of Cooper) at my favourite local tire shop and I like them. Reasonably priced and they ride well and are fairly quiet.
Thanks. They're a bit more expensive than the Crossmax tires with the same 98 load rating and 80 less tread ware at 520 versus 600 for the Crossmax. Out of curiosity does either or both of your 2011 Grand Marquis UE and 03 Marauder require an additive for the rear diff fluid?

Check with your local Ford dealer’s Quick Lane. They usually match or beat anyone else’s prices.
Will do. Nice to know there's a good number of reasonably priced quality tires for size 225 60 16.

Out of curiosity does either or both of your 2011 Grand Marquis UE and 03 Marauder require an additive for the rear diff fluid?
The Grandma Keith has a 2.73 open diff so it does not need FM. The Marauder has a 4.10 limited slip, so yes it does need FM. I use Motorcraft 75W140 which does not come with FM built in, so I add a bottle of XL-3.

Maybe not you but I have many tire conversations with people that one of their biggest criteria is the least expensive tire they can get.

No concern for looking at or hearing about other factors. These conversations happen while they are drinking their venti Starbucks and waiting for the Uber eats guy to bring their lunch order,

Back