Shop drained oil with truck lifted in front?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to a garage I like (independent place). Vehice is a 1998 Toyota Tacoma.

The person who normally changes the oil wasn't available. So, one of the mechanics did it. He basically drove the vehicle onto ramps so just the front was up and drained it that way. Is that ok or does it need to be level to drain right?

And, he appears to have just re-used the same oil gasket (one of those paper/fabric ones).

I like this shop and am a little hesitant to being this stuff up as I don't want to create bad blood over something that might be petty.

But, do you think either of these are issues worth mentioning?

Or, is all fine?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Change the oil in my Frontier like that all the time. No problem. As for reusing the gasket...does it leak? If not, no problem. People reuse these all the time.

Depends on where the oil drains from the pan-rear drain is fine, front drain, then no, it was done incorrectly.

short answer: it doesn't matter.

long answer: it depends a little on the position of the drain plug (but not enough to really make a difference). My drain plug is at the back of the pan, so I can get out a little more oil by lifting the front end when I drain the oil. I do it this way because I'm obsessive, but rationally I know it makes no real difference.

I don't know anything about the fiber washers and if they can/should be reused; I've never dealt with those before on an oil change.

Also, seemed they only drained the oil for a few minutes, but, I suppose that's common?

Most shops drain oil for few minutes, time is money to them. If you have a mean to change oil yourself, you should do it for reason that you can do better than any shop, such as let the oil drain for 15-20 minutes while checking other things under the hood.

Originally Posted By: JOD
short answer: it doesn't matter.

long answer: it depends a little on the position of the drain plug (but not enough to really make a difference). My drain plug is at the back of the pan, so I can get out a little more oil by lifting the front end when I drain the oil. I do it this way because I'm obsessive, but rationally I know it makes no real difference.

I don't know anything about the fiber washers and if they can/should be reused; I've never dealt with those before on an oil change.

I've never measured the difference, but IMO, there could be a significant amount of oil left in an oil pan if drained incorrectly.

Last edited:
I use ramps but, my drain plug is in the back of the sump but, in reality, I doubt it makes much difference if the vehicle was raised only 10-12 inches. I do let the oil drain until it only drips, maybe one drip every 5 seconds or so but, then again I doubt it makes much difference. I reuse the gasket until it starts to look ratty. I keep a spare on hand. Problem using a gasket too long as it can force you to over tighten the plug which can mess up the threads. Ed

I've never worked on a vehicle that wouldn't drain better by lifting the front. Every drain plug I've seen has been at the back of the pan.

Originally Posted By: rpn453
I've never worked on a vehicle that wouldn't drain better by lifting the front. Every drain plug I've seen has been at the back of the pan.

My Corolla is at the front. Stupid!

A few minutes will remove 99% of the oil. If you're truly this anal, I suggest doing it yourself...you can let it drain as long as you like and tip it anyway. :)

The way you described it, is the exact way I do my oil changes on both my vehicles. I let it drain for 30-mins and if there is a gasket on there, I reuse it if it's still in decent shape.

I always drain with the front lifted because the pan plug is facing backwards. I assume it gets even more oil out than leaving it level. I've always done it that way.

The transmission drain plug on my volvo is in the front of the pan. I put the front wheels up on ramps and the rated 2.5 quarts came out.

You have more oil in various nooks and crannies of the engine than is the difference between level and a couple degrees off for the pan.

Think my 99 hyundai accent 1.5 had a plug in the front. The filter was right there too. I liked that; could have pulled it up on a curb for a quick in-the-city OC.

Originally Posted By: TurboTravis
Originally Posted By: rpn453

My Corolla is at the front. Stupid!

So is my BMW.

That's one of the things your gonna have to live with when going to the quck lube places or even a shop. They aren't going to sit there for hours on end waiting for the oil to stop draining. I doubt it really matters that much.

Ramps here too, with an occasional new oil plug washer. I wouldn't worry about it and jeopardize a good relationship with the shop. Just call next time to see if your guy is there or do it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back