Shop drained oil with truck lifted in front?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every car that I've ever owned in the last 52 years has had drain plugs to the rear of the pan, to the best of my recollection anyway. But then I've never owned a BMW or a Corolla, nor do I intend to.

And I consider myself far from stupid.

Turbo Travis needs to be a little more tolerant towards others posts.

Funny, I never use ramps on my Tacoma. Just slide under it on my back and drain it level. Easier that way.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: TurboTravis
My Corolla is at the front. Stupid!

So is my BMW.

Wacky! It's more common than I thought.

Hello, The Subarus in my life, a 1985 GL 1.7, a 1995 Legacy 2.2 and a 2001 Forester 2.5, had drain plugs up front. I liked the clear shot the draining oil had. Kira

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Every car that I've ever owned in the last 52 years has had drain plugs to the rear of the pan, to the best of my recollection anyway. But then I've never owned a BMW or a Corolla, nor do I intend to.

I interpreted the comment as him saying that it was stupid to have put the drain plug at the front.

Notice the period at the end of the sentence, followed by the capital S. He was referring to the placement of the drain on his Corolla and nothing else.

My S2000 and LS400 has drain plug to the right(passenger side) of the pan, I have no idea where the E30 drain plug is, I always siphon the oil with a fluid extractor after 4 years free oil changes.

S62 from the bottom:

9833d1089232313-m5-s62-e36-binnenkant_carter.jpg

Where the guy's hand is, is where the drain plug is (approximately) with the bottom of the pan bolted on.

Originally Posted By: rpn453

So is my BMW.

I guess on foreign cars maybe. I have always owned GM or Ford and all the plugs have been at the back of the pan. Hence I use ramps.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
Originally Posted By: rpn453

So is my BMW.

I guess on foreign cars maybe. I have always owned GM or Ford and all the plugs have been at the back of the pan. Hence I use ramps.

Hope you've never owned a Windsor. Many of them had drain plugs in both the front and rear of the pan. I've owned several configured this way (all 302's). Not all of them were, but there were quite a few.

My Volvos (2004 XC70 and 2008 S40) are in the back and so is my Chevy Tahoe and GMC Sierra. 2002 F150(4.6) is on the side.

Hope you've never owned a Windsor. Many of them had drain plugs in both the front and rear of the pan. I've owned several configured this way (all 302's). Not all of them were, but there were quite a few.

Ahh, yes, my Town Car was that way. I'm messy enough as it is during oil changes, without complicating the fact with extra drain plugs.

The Infiniti and the Audi, along with some miscellaneous Fords I've had, have the plug near the front on the passenger side bottom corner, which isn't a bad idea. Just jack the driver's side a wee bit higher than the passenger side, and all is good.

Wow I learn something new everyday. Drain plugs at the front of the oil pan. Sounds Stupid to me, LOL. Two of mine are at the rear. The E-150 has it at the RR corner. A set of ramps work great.

My Grandmothers 72 Chevell Malibu with the 250 straight 6 had the drain plug in the front. There was so much room in that motor compartment. All you had to do was pull the car in the shop slide the drain pan under and reach down from the top to remove drain plug and filter.

I actually get more oil out with the front end slightly lifted on my Chrysler T&C. Drain plug is also on the back of the pan too. It's impossible to get all the old oil out anyway. As long as the majority of the oil is the new stuff it won't make any difference really having some old left over. However, if the pan is near the front and the plug in the front as well, I might mention that fact to the garage next time they change the oil. How do they usually do it?

My RX300 has the drain plug on the BACK side.
My father's 97' Accord has it on the FRONT side of the pan.
My brother's RX450h has it on the BACK side.
My 96' Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8L has it on the BACK.

I don't think it really matter whether it's lifted from the front, you won't get too much more oil out. But, it really depends on how you feel about that type of thing. I don't try to get every last drop out, but I do let my oil drain for 15-20 mins, no more than that though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigdawg74
Notice the period at the end of the sentence, followed by the capital S. He was referring to the placement of the drain on his Corolla and nothing else.

Correct.

Blah blah drain plug at the front, stupid. --is an insult.

Blah blah drain plug at the front. Stupid. --is a comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back