Shock Nut Socket - How Hard To Make One?

Does anyone have experience with using a bench grinder to create a custom tool out of a socket? I'm putting new shocks on my E350, and I've found that a special tool is needed to tighten the piston rod to a damper. The special tool is a 17 mm deep well socket, with the side wall cut out in the middle, in somewhat of a similar fashion to a O2 sensor socket. I have found one from Schwaben, a German tool manufacturer, but I don't think it will be available locally. They look like this:

The window allows for an Allen wrench to be inserted into the top of the piston rod, to hold it in place while the nut is tightened.

I have no problem ordering one, but I'm a little (ok, a lot) on the impatient side, and would like to get the job done. So I'm considering picking up a socket and seeing if I can grind a window out of it, using a bench grinder and an angle grinder. Is this feasible? I'd love to hear from anyone that has ever attempted something like this.

I was going to suggest getting a standard socket and having a machine shop mill the side out of it but that is going to far exceed the cost of that socket. If you plan to keep the car I would just order the right tool.

I've had a lot of luck w any of the new sockets with a hex on the end. Milwaukee and some AP's come to mind. Drop a long(er) hex thru the square drive and turn the hex with a ratcheting wrench.

I had to do this on struts recently (after spring was compressed of course)

Failing all this some vise grips clamped on a socket or a nut tack welded to a socket might yield similar results

edit: also any of the pass-thru socket sets are a contender. They use a proprietary spline drive to turn the OD of sockets rather than a square drive in the center. There's 2 or 3 styles sold under a dozen different names

I was going to suggest getting a standard socket and having a machine shop mill the side out of it but that is going to far exceed the cost of that socket. If you plan to keep the car I would just order the right tool.

There are a couple fabrication shops in town, and at least one of them has a very reasonable labor rate. I also considered having them cut out the window on a mill, and came to the same conclusion, that it could likely cost as much as 1 day delivery of the Schwaben tool.

I've had a lot of luck w any of the new sockets with a hex on the end. Milwaukee and some AP's come to mind. Drop a long(er) hex thru the square drive and turn the hex with a ratcheting wrench.

I had to do this on struts recently (after spring was compressed of course)

Failing all this some vise grips clamped on a socket or a nut tack welded to a socket might yield similar results

edit: also any of the pass-thru socket sets are a contender. They use a proprietary spline drive to turn the OD of sockets rather than a square drive in the center. There's 2 or 3 styles sold under a dozen different names
One idea I considered, in this same line of thinking is seeing if I could find a 17mm socket with hex on the end, similar to many spark plug sockets. Then I could hold the socket while turning the piston with a long Allen wrench drive. That would even allow me to tighten the nut to the proper torque.

I'll find out tomorrow if a socket of this style is available in town, but just looking on Autozone and O'Reilly websites, I couldn't see a socket like that.

Would something like this work? Nevermind the price. 😄
Yes. That would work great. The nut only has to be torqued to 21 lb*ft, so I suspect that would be strong enough. But I can get the Schwaben socket for less than a third of that, even with shipping. Of course the Schwaben isn't near as pretty as the Snap-on.

I would be tempted to get the Snap-on, if it was on the truck, and the truck was in town tomorrow. Not likely, though.

One idea I considered, in this same line of thinking is seeing if I could find a 17mm socket with hex on the end, similar to many spark plug sockets. Then I could hold the socket while turning the piston with a long Allen wrench drive. That would even allow me to tighten the nut to the proper torque.

I'll find out tomorrow if a socket of this style is available in town, but just looking on Autozone and O'Reilly websites, I couldn't see a socket like that.
That's exactly what I was saying but wasn't clear.

I was wrong - Milwaukees are square. So grind a couple flats on a cheap 17mm
20230514_222536.jpg

I frequently use a similar gearwrench brand set but I figured I'd recommend this as it's 1/4 the cost

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230515_003034_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230515_003034_Chrome.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20230515_003034_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230515_003034_Chrome.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 9
@D60, I recall seeing those new Milwaukee sockets. That would do the trick.

I like idea of using the HF sockets that @D60 and @Yourhomiematt mentioned. If I can't find a socket with hexes on the end, I may make a run to the nearest HF for that set.

My only concern about using this method, would be that if I torque on the extended Allen socket, I have to torque in the ccw direction. Everything I have read strongly recommends using a clicker style torque wrench in only one direction.

I'm not too crazy about spline sockets, so that would be my last choice.

Thanks, guys. These are some good ideas.

I've never been thrilled with spline sockets either, esp when manufacturers try to make them cover multiple sizes that aren't within a few thousandths of each other

May I humbly suggest zapping the nuts with an impact?
This would be my approach, too, but he seems concerned with torque. It doesn't always work, either -- sometimes the rod just spins on the old or new or both

{snip}
My only concern about using this method, would be that if I torque on the extended Allen socket, I have to torque in the ccw direction. Everything I have read strongly recommends using a clicker style torque wrench in only one direction.
On AZ's website I can find a 1/2" and 1/4" beam TW. Of course I think 3/8 would be ideal for your desired 21 ft lbs. Still, poke around AZ and O'Reilly. I also thought my HD used to have a beam on the floor but I didn't have much luck on their website

Also, are digital adapters good for either direction? I honestly don't know. But the 3/8" at HF is $40

This would be my approach, too, but he seems concerned with torque. It doesn't always work, either -- sometimes the rod just spins on the old or new or both
I mean I like to torque my stuff too, probably more than most.

But I feel like this is a thread about how to use the wrong tool for the job due to impatience and/or poor planning.

So you may as well use the easiest wrong tool and hold the strut shaft with some soft jaw pliers and zip the nut down.

• Haha
Reactions: D60
Back