Rear pads on the W8 Passat...had to get creative with piston tool

Looks like a lip near the rotor hat. Not real bad.
Not much of one and certainly not worth a rotor change - your'e just seeing the area that the pad doesn't cover so it's a rusty. This car has fantastic brakes.

Cleaned it today too...55 and beautiful out.
1000015637.jpg

ATE or TRW? ATE, generally for Euro cars, has dry pins. I never lubed pins on any BMW, VW etc.

I did the first brake job on a Mini with ATE calipers and the guide pins were factory greased with a clear/translucent grease (silicone based I presume). Very confusing and contradictory to the FSM.

I did the first brake job on a Mini with ATE calipers and the guide pins were factory greased with a clear/translucent grease (silicone based I presume). Very confusing and contradictory to the FSM.
Not sure from factory how they come out or whether Mini has different set up. On ATE most critical component are those rubber boots.

I've never seen a sliding caliper without greased pins.

Not much of one and certainly not worth a rotor change - your'e just seeing the area that the pad doesn't cover so it's a rusty. This car has fantastic brakes.
Having a lip isn't the only reason for a change - condition of the rotor structure is also a key factor. Those vanes look very rusty.

Having a lip isn't the only reason for a change - condition of the rotor structure is also a key factor. Those vanes look very rusty.
It's fine....I'll find out I guess in Apriil when I head down to Wookies in The Woods and rip this big girl on the Tail of The Dragon! A little rust on the rotors never hurt nobody....

Surface rust mostly. I wouldn’t be concerned with that yet. They will start to flake and chunk when they get worse.

Surface rust mostly. I wouldn’t be concerned with that yet. They will start to flake and chunk when they get worse.
I'm not concerned but The Critic sure is. I mean I've been all over them...just some surface rust is all..didn't give it much thought. My shop just had it in for state inspection...he didn't say a thing and I trust him immensely.

Back