Rear pads on the W8 Passat...had to get creative with piston tool

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Needed to do the rear pads on the Passat W8 wagon this weekend to get it to pass state inspection this month, they were thin ut honeslty probably had another year or so in them as much as I drive this car (3K a year). Bent my Harbor Freight piston tool, the handle portion, so just cut it off and used too nuts. Had to attach the lower slider bolt and use an impact socket to get all the counter forces right, holy cow was this hard. Used a huge breaker bar to get it to start spinning (right side). Left wasn't as bad and just used an impact gun to retract it. Fresh VW pads, greased the pins (which were smooth/moved easily), all set. Just need to flush the fluid/bleed it. Front pads look ok so not messing with them.

20240203_142937.jpg
20240204_101733.jpg
20240203_143242.jpg
20240203_143404.jpg
20240204_103302.jpg
20240204_103309.jpg

Needed to do the rear pads on the Passat W8 wagon this weekend to get it to pass state inspection this month, they were thin ut honeslty probably had another year or so in them as much as I drive this car (3K a year). Bent my Harbor Freight piston tool, the handle portion, so just cut it off and used too nuts. Had to attach the lower slider bolt and use an impact socket to get all the counter forces right, holy cow was this hard. Used a huge breaker bar to get it to start spinning (right side). Left wasn't as bad and just used an impact gun to retract it. Fresh VW pads, greased the pins (which were smooth/moved easily), all set. Just need to flush the fluid/bleed it. Front pads look ok so not messing with them.

View attachment 201819View attachment 201820View attachment 201821View attachment 201822View attachment 201823View attachment 201824
There's a w8 Passat wagon with a manual a few blocks from my house. I've thought several times about offering to purchase it but always talk myself out of it due to a few horror stories I've read.

The V10 diesel Touareg that was also near my house has suddenly disappeared with a new 4Runner in the driveway. Probably a smart choice but I used to enjoy seeing that thing around.

There's a w8 Passat wagon with a manual a few blocks from my house. I've thought several times about offering to purchase it but always talk myself out of it due to a few horror stories I've read.

The V10 diesel Touareg that was also near my house has suddenly disappeared with a new 4Runner in the driveway. Probably a smart choice but I used to enjoy seeing that thing around.
1/97. You can watch my video here on my channel with my experience over the last 3 years. Should be one of the most recent ones...has some bad language so can't link it directly...

ATE or TRW? ATE, generally for Euro cars, has dry pins. I never lubed pins on any BMW, VW etc.
TRW. Mine have always been lubed on my Sportwagen and this.

I'm gonna try one of these next time I do brakes . Awkward using a C-clamp
I have those exact clamps and I'm not sure how well they'd work. Once you get resistance, it would take a LOT of hand strength to compress but then again, if the piston is that hard to compress, there might be other issues. C-clamps can be awkward but once positioned, you take advantage of the big, fat threading.

I have those exact clamps and I'm not sure how well they'd work. Once you get resistance, it would take a LOT of hand strength to compress
Yes ..... but when you get alot of resistance just loosen the bleeder screw .

Back