2016 Honda CR-V rear dif. had no crush washer on the drain bolt

I did drain and fills on the cvt (again), and this time also did the rear differential of my 2016 Honda CR-V yesterday. I even sprayed PB Blaster on the rear dif drain and fill bolts about 2 weeks ago. The drain was a real ☆○# to break loose to say the least. I had to use a 27 inch pipe on a 1/2 in. drive rarchet with a 1/2 to 3/8. Had to use a floor jack to lift the end of the cheater 27 in. pipe to apply enough force to break it loose. It turnd out that that the drain bolt did NOT have a crush washer. Supposably it was changed at the dealer just before I bought the vehicle with 19, 788 Mi on it, and I changed it with 36,725 Mi on it yesterday. So it was a mechanic at the dealership that didn't put the Crush Washer on.

Kind of makes me wonder whether the mechanic at the dealership pocketed that Crush Washer.

At least I had pre-purchased the crush washers for the job.

This is the same dealership that had the lug nuts on the thing so tight that it took all my might with a four-way to break them loose when I bought the vehicle, and the spare tire had 17 pounds of pressure in it. At least I straightened both of those out by just checking things, and not when I had a flat tire someplace, which I haven't had any yet.

Last edited:
I did drain and fills on the cvt (again), and this time also did the rear differential of my 2016 Honda CR-V yesterday. I even sprayed PB Blaster on the rear dif drain and fill bolts about 2 weeks ago. The drain was a real ☆○# to break loose to say the least. I had to use a 27 inch pipe on a 1/2 in. drive rarchet with a 1/2 to 3/8. Had to use a floor jack to lift the end of the cheater 27 in. pipe to apply enough force to break it loose. It turnd out that that the drain bolt did NOT have a crush washer. Supposably it was changed at the dealer just before I bought the vehicle with 19, 788 Mi on it, and I changed it with 36,725 Mi on it yesterday. So it was a mechanic at the dealership that didn't put the Crush Washer on.

Kind of makes me wonder whether the mechanic at the dealership pocketed that Crush Washer.

This is the same dealership that had the lug nuts on the thing so tight that it took all my might with a four-way to break them loose when I bought the vehicle, and the spare tire had 17 pounds of pressure in it. At least I straightened both of those out by just checking things, and not when I had a flat tire someplace, which I haven't had any yet.
Time to find a new dealership...or do it yourself...

was it leaking?
you can sometimes use an o ring in place of the crush washer, depending on style of drain plug.

which person would that be?
The ones mentioned in the original post.. cannot remember a drain washer or properly torque lug nuts.. faithful in little, faithful in much.. can't figure out the basics, time to find another career field.. so many out there in the auto field that we hear about again and again, it's just sad but ridiculous the lack of care

The ones mentioned in the original post.. cannot remember a drain washer or properly torque lug nuts.. faithful in little, faithful in much.. can't figure out the basics, time to find another career field.. so many out there in the auto field that we hear about again and again, it's just sad but ridiculous the lack of care

yeah... its worth noting that auto dealers face a shortage of techs,
so they are known to ask auto porters if they wanna be a mechanic, and start those car washers out lubing vehicle's.
That is where the former auto porters start , and some of them graduate past that point
while others sit down in a customers seat with a screwdriver in their back pocket and then return
to the car wash side of the business or end up working somewhere else.
Meanwhile the dealer eats the cost if the former porter screws up something bad enough.

I am not making excuses for them, just pointing out the business model doesn't work well.

I have no intentions of ever taking my vehicle back to that dealership. And if it requires any service that can only be done by a dealer then I will use a different dealer.

That would be rather absurd, don't you think? Well, in my world it is. Why would be steal a used washer with no value when he can just steal one from stock? All he had to do was to put back your old one and pocket the new one.
I was talking about pocketing the new one. But also like you pointed out he could have just put back the old one and then pocket at the new one. So the fact that it had no Crush Washer really points out how incompetent whoever that was that they did the job is.

I was talking about pocketing the new one. But also like you pointed out he could have just put back the old one and then pocket at the new one. So the fact that it had no Crush Washer really points out how incompetent whoever that was that they did the job is.

maybe it was missing in the first place?
I still would like to know if it was leaking because if it isn't it sounds like you are complaining about a no harm no foul situation.

I’m surprised you didn’t shear the 3/8 end off of the adapter.

Ive had cases in MB diffs where I needed a similar length to get it off. With a washer…. I since have gone to impact which helps a lot.

maybe it was missing in the first place?
I still would like to know if it was leaking because if it isn't it sounds like you are complaining about a no harm no foul situation.
It was not leaking, but it was torqued so tight that I still question whether the threads were overstressed and damaged some.

I really was concerned that when I torqued it to the proper torque of 35 lb feet it was going to strip it. That would be a big problem if those threads ever give out with future drain and fills.

It was not leaking, but it was torqued so tight that I still question whether the threads were overstressed and damaged some.

I really was concerned that when I torqued it to the proper torque of 35 lb feet it was going to strip it. That would be a big problem if those threads ever give out with future drain and fills.
At least if you use a boutique heavy duty long drain dif oil you'll keep drain and fills to an absolute minimum.

Back