Easiest way to attack upper shock nuts?

I need to take off the upper shock bolts on a Ranger:
IMG_0338.jpeg

Called the local AZ, they don’t have the tool that would hold the stud so the nut can be loosened. Amazon has nothing for overnight delivery. What else can I do?

Two quick options:

A) grind two flats on either side of the top rounded portion. Clamp and hold while freeing the nut.
B) Use a cutting disc to slot the top and secure with a screwdriver or such.

Using heat on the nut before breaking will reduce the amount of clamping or securing force necessary and make the job easier.

I need to take off the upper shock bolts on a Ranger:
View attachment 178872

Called the local AZ, they don’t have the tool that would hold the stud so the nut can be loosened. Amazon has nothing for overnight delivery. What else can I do?
I'd douse it in freeze off. My cousins 360z had bolts that wouldn't break free. A little freeze off and the came loose.

Cut through the middle of the nut with a 4 inch grinder and cutoff wheel. Your rust will no longer be a problem and the heat will be a bonus too. Then spin the nut off with a wrench.

If it's stubborn, cut a slit in the top of what remains of the stud and drive it down with a flathead screwdriver while holding the nut steady.

Cutting through the bushing stinks to high heaven.

Vice grips on the shock underneath (tight AF), and an impact gun with long socket. If you don't have a long enough socket, cut the threads offf above the nut. Heat and penetrating oil first if you want every advantage.

Just clean the threads with a fine wire brush (wire wheel in Dremel tool is preferred), spray the stud with penetrating oil, let sit overnight. Then install a closed box-end wrench, clamp the upper tip portion tightly with Vise-Grips and it should easily remove since the threads don't look rusted at all. Once you get the nut halfway up, you can either move the Vise-Grip below the nut or cut the stud with a SawZall or hacksaw.

The top if the stud is a double "D". Grab that area with locking pliers and use the wrench of your choice on the nut. I think a flare nut wrench can fit thru the stud. It's slow going but effective. Or find one of these shock tools (I haven't seen these in a long while).

1694922052321.jpg

My first attempt would be vise-grips on the top of the stud. They'd have to be some real high quality vise-grips with round jaws. Probably either a 7 inch or 10 inch size. No Harbor Freight crap.

My second attempt would be with a pair of Knipex Cobra's.

My third attempt would be to cut the sum-bich with a cut-off wheel.

Back