Installing power steering pulley - What am I doing wrong?

Looks pretty straight forward to me. I am using a power steering rental install tool from AZ.
I install the bolt and installer assembly into the pump shaft and start to tighten.
Problem is the bolt is backing out instead of the install nut and install part of assembly tightening on the pully.
I held the pully with my hand and turn the bolt and got it partway on, but now I need to apply more torque than I can hold with the pulley.
Am I an idiot and doing something wrong here?

Yep, that is what I am doing, but the bolt is backing out instead of the nut pressing on the pully.

unless you take a video we probably cant tell how you are messing it up..

you seated it all the way in.. then are holding the bolt from turning with a wrench while tightening the nut?

If in doubt blame the rental tool ;)

Sounds like you are trying to turn both wrenches against each other simultaneously which will cause the center bolt to unscrew. You need to seat the bolt fully and hold the bolt still while only cranking down on the nut with the other wrench. There should be no need to hold the pulley with your hand at all; however, you can stick a 3/8" extension through one of the holes in the pulley to brace it against the pump housing to keep it still.

use a wrench on the bolt instead of a ratchet? and hold it tight? you shouldnt have spinning of the pulley.

Its probably alot easier to do that on the bench. If you do all that I'd say take a break and come at it fresh.

I have this problem from time to time at the shop. There's nothing you're doing incorrectly. The only solution is to wedge the pulley by putting something through one of the holes in it. There's too much mechanical friction between the forcing nut and the face of the pulley.

You'll get it.

Last edited:
I tried using the same tool on my original pump and it was not having a problem. I did notice that the bolt threads going into the shaft threads were a lot tighter on the old pump shaft than the new pump shaft. I had to wrench it on. With the new pump, I can thread it on by hand, but I can tell it is the same threads, just different tolerances. Other than the fact that the pump is on the vehicle, and that this is an aftermarket Cardone pump, those are the only differences.
I don't have any holes in my pully to wedge it.
Maybe I should try this cardone pulley.
Cardone PS Pulley
I am going to re-freeze my pulley and try again tomorrow.

I tried using the same tool on my original pump and it was not having a problem. I did notice that the bolt threads going into the shaft threads were a lot tighter on the old pump shaft than the new pump shaft. I had to wrench it on. With the new pump, I can thread it on by hand, but I can tell it is the same threads, just different tolerances. Other than the fact that the pump is on the vehicle, and that this is an aftermarket Cardone pump, those are the only differences.
I don't have any holes in my pully to wedge it.
Maybe I should try this cardone pulley.
Cardone PS Pulley
I am going to re-freeze my pulley and try again tomorrow.
Freezing the pulley is making the hole smaller... if anything you could try warming it to 200f or so in a toaster oven

Reactions: D60
I'm guessing there isn't a bearing between the Nut & the Pulley, Professional tools for this have a bearing plate so the nut doesn't drag on/dig into the pulley.

Tighten the forcing screw tight as you can into the pump shaft, Use some wheel bearing grease between the nut & pulley.

My Snap-on installer has a angled spot where the forcing screw can seat/stop against the pump shaft bore opening (arrow).....Instead of running the screw all the way in which can damage the end of the screw threads.

I'm not saying to run out & buy a Snap-on installer, Spending that kind of coin on a tool you'll likely never use again would be foolish......Just wanted to point out why cheap installers don't work very well.

Apply grease where the arrow is on the OEM tool.

9ghCsNx.jpg

nCqvdke.jpg

ljFmxUv.png

Last time I did a P/S pulley R&R (off the vehicle), the pulley came out of the vice, the second wrench came off, the impact wrench went from burp to full throttle and I got a fluid shower.

🚿

I was also going to say the Snappy pullers and installers are sa-weet here. I already had a set and when another popped up on FB MP for $50 I couldn't say no...

edit: but I've done a half dozen pumps with the cheap rental-grade installers and never a problem

I'm guessing there isn't a bearing between the Nut & the Pulley, Professional tools for this have a bearing plate so the nut doesn't drag on/dig into the pulley.

Tighten the forcing screw tight as you can into the pump shaft, Use some wheel bearing grease between the nut & pulley.

My Snap-on installer has a angled spot where the forcing screw can seat/stop against the pump shaft bore opening (arrow).....Instead of running the screw all the way in which can damage the end of the screw threads.

I'm not saying to run out & buy a Snap-on installer, Spending that kind of coin on a tool you'll likely never use again would be foolish......Just wanted to point out why cheap installers don't work very well.

Apply grease where the arrow is on the OEM tool.

9ghCsNx.jpg

nCqvdke.jpg

ljFmxUv.png
Thanks for the tips. I will give greasing the tool and heating the pulley a try.
Nice snap on tool. The bearing and tapered stop makes a lot of sense.
Also like that big over-sized tightening nut. By the time my rental tool is seated, the hex head of the nut is only about 1/2" exposed, not much to grab on to there.
This is the first time I have used a tool like this, I wonder if there weren't ball bearings in there at one time, because the nut sinks into the body pretty far.
PS Install Tool Nut
Also thinking there may be oil in the threads of the shaft of the new pump which might be making the threads too lubricated. I think the path of least resistance might be coming into play here.

Last edited:
THE OEM Tool does have bearings or something similar. They are either worn or missing in the set I had.
I went to 2 different AZ and looked at 3 different sets, all had a different version of the problem with the bearings and nut.
I got one set that was like new and makes a lot more sense now that I see a tool in good shape, the nut is where it is supposed to be so I can get a wrench on it and the tightening portion of the assembly seems to ride on bearings.
Will be trying to install pulley with new tool in the next day or 2.

Reactions: D60
"If in doubt blame the rental tool ;)"

What a ridiculously easy project with a tool that is not broken.
Install was effortless.
I did have to sand down a small ridge on 1/4 of the inside diameter of the pulley bore about 3/8" in from the back due to damage created from the last effort with the tool trying to push the pulley on crooked. Hopefully that does not create a problem.
I am debating on getting a new pulley while I have the good tool...only because of a concern of tolerance and how easy it was to press on. Sandpaper was 320 used with my finger only to remove the ridge. The front half of the bore was not touched.
I did lube the pump shaft and bore with grease as well prior to install
Last thing I want would be a pulley flying off

Last edited:
"If in doubt blame the rental tool ;)"

What a ridiculously easy project with a tool that is not broken.
Install was effortless.
I did have to sand down a small ridge on 1/4 of the inside diameter of the pulley bore about 3/8" in from the back due to damage created from the last effort with the tool trying to push the pulley on crooked. Hopefully that does not create a problem.
I am debating on getting a new pulley while I have the good tool...only because of a concern of tolerance and how easy it was to press on. Sandpaper was 320 used with my finger only to remove the ridge. The front half of the bore was not touched.
I did lube the pump shaft and bore with grease as well prior to install
Last thing I want would be a pulley flying off
Was this hassle worth $20 of your time and fuel?

Most definitely it was not. In hindsight, I would have got this HF tool.
Also, now that I have some experience, I know what to look for.

Back